Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Invierno stage between Monforte de Lemos and Chantada

Mr_Ross_Duncan

Via Gebennensis, Portuguese, Via Francigena, GR65,
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis, Portuguese, Via Francigena, GR65,
Hi, I'm planning my stages along the Invierno later in the year.
We're peeling off the Frances at Ponferrada.
There seems to be an option to shorten the long stage between Monforte de Lemos and Chantada by staying in the little rural hotel/house in Vilarino.
It seems lovely and gets good reviews, however no matter how hard I try they will not respond to any communications. Their email from their website bounces back as incorrect, their online contact form remains unanswered, they don't have WhatsApp and their FB messenger has an automatic answer response suggesting an email instead, it's a different email from their online one and seems to be correct it however also remains unanswered. They are not listed on any booking service.
I'm starting to assume the worst and they have closed, this time of the year should be getting towards their busiest and should be across their bookings and requests.
There seems to be no other options to break the stage up anywhere else, however we could be missing something other walkers have found.
Normally we would just suck it up and walk the 30klm to Chantada however we've committed to walking through Chantada and on to the accommodation at Penasillas which would be getting up towards 40klm in a day and that's not appealing at all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
they don't have WhatsApp
Yes they do! Contact Susana at 34 640 10 46 27. She will not answer this phone, she uses it only for WhatsApp.

Vilarino is indeed lovely but if you don't hear from them, there is now a wonderful albergue at Diomondi, about 7 or 8km further from Vilarino.
This is a real dilemma, IMHO! Two absolutely fabulous places to stay. The Torre Vilariño was the first Casa Rural licensed to do business in Galicia and they have preserved the family feel. It’s a wonderful place to lounge around, the people are very very nice, and the food is good (they have a pilgrim’s menu, but I say splurge a bit and go for the regular menú del día, it is very good).

For those with time, I would recommend the following. Walk from Monforte and spend the night at Torre Vilariño. You will arrive early and can have a great meal and then visit the museum and the hill fort right next door. It’s in an old Pazo (manor house). Then on the next day, add 6 or 7 km to that 7 or 8 km walk but walking the loop that takes you to some very beautiful spots above the Sil River. The tracks that VNWalking recorded are on wikiloc. There are two miradores (lookouts) and both have been dramatically improved since we walked — all the brush has been cut down and viewing platforms have been built. They are called the Miradouro or Mirador do Cabo do Mundo. Just gorgeous. If you walk that 6 km loop, take a long rest at the miradores, and then push on to Diomondi you will have a 17 or 18 km day and get to stay in the bishop’s palace turned albergue adjacent to the Romanesque Diomondi church. These two days are about as perfect as you can get if you like nature, contemplation, and ancient architecture.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes they do! Contact Susana at 34 640 10 46 27. She will not answer this phone, she uses it only for WhatsApp.

This is a real dilemma, IMHO! Two absolutely fabulous places to stay. The Torre Vilariño was the first Casa Rural licensed to do business in Galicia and they have preserved the family feel. It’s a wonderful place to lounge around, the people are very very nice, and the food is good (they have a pilgrim’s menu, but I say splurge a bit and go for the regular menú del día, it is very good).

For those with time, I would recommend the following. Walk from Monforte and spend the night at Torre Vilariño. You will arrive early and can have a great meal and then visit the museum and the hill fort right next door. It’s in an old Pazo (manor house). Then on the next day, add 6 or 7 km to that 7 or 8 km walk but walking the loop that takes you to some very beautiful spots above the Sil River. The tracks that VNWalking recorded are on wikiloc. There are two miradores (lookouts) and both have been dramatically improved since we walked — all the brush has been cut down and viewing platforms have been built. They are called the Miradouro or Mirador do Cabo do Mundo. Just gorgeous. If you walk that 6 km loop, take a long rest at the miradores, and then push on to Diomondi you will have a 17 or 18 km day and get to stay in the bishop’s palace turned albergue adjacent to the Romanesque Diomondi church. These two days are about as perfect as you can get if you like nature, contemplation, and ancient architecture.
Wow, thanks very much, great advice.🙂🙂

Wow, thanks very much, great advice.🙂🙂

Hi Peregrina2000,
You kindly supplied me with a WhatsApp number for Susana at Torre Vilariño. It was in response to a mystery I'm trying to solve, and that is the continued radio silence from them.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I've been trying to contact them for around a month now without any success.
Nothing off their website, Facebook contacts, email and now WhatsApp will prompt a reply, I tried telephoning them one evening from here in Australia without any answer as well.
If I knew her personally, I'd be getting a bit worried by now.
Anyway, I'm going to ask again in the Ivar forum and see if anybody has had recent contact with them, so if you see a similar post, that's why.
All the best
Ross

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I contacted them a few weeks ago when I was planning my Invierno. They said they would be closed until June 1.
Thanks for the tip Paul. That's solved the mystery. I'll wait until June and have another attempt. Cheers.

Wow that’s unusual. For years, they have only closed for the month of November. I wonder what’s going on, but I hope everything is OK.
We have heard from @mla1 yesterday that she dropped in there for an enjoyable long break during her day on the invierno. So keep trying. Someone is about.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We have heard from @mla1 yesterday that she dropped in there for an enjoyable long break during her day on the invierno. So keep trying. Someone is about.
Thanks Annie, I received a WhatsApp message from Susana yesterday, great news, I can continue planning my walk. Cheers.

Hi, I'm planning my stages along the Invierno later in the year.
We're peeling off the Frances at Ponferrada.
There seems to be an option to shorten the long stage between Monforte de Lemos and Chantada by staying in the little rural hotel/house in Vilarino.

I stayed there last month. It was great. A lovely old coaching Inn.
Susana's mother and uncle looked after me very well.
Be aware they close the bar/kitchen on Wednesdays.

I did all the booking via whatsapp. +34 640 10 46 27

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for that Robo, much appreciated.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back