• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food on the camino

scott

Do some of the restaurants out there have a English language menu or is it easy enough to figure it out? I know a bit of Spanish to get me by. I sure dont want to go to some restaurant and get fed something that was frozen! That would piss me off! I want to experience the food out there not get some food that I could of gotten from McDonald's which in my opinion is gross! Any fast food for that matter! Is there a guide to some restaurants out there and what to order so that hat we wont get the frozen crap? I am a big boy and I can eat! Lol especially homemade food? Dont get in my way! Lol

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you are bringing a smartphone just download a translation app or 2...

Do some of the restaurants out there have a English language menu or is it easy enough to figure it out? I know a bit of Spanish to get me by. I sure dont want to go to some restaurant and get fed something that was frozen! That would piss me off! I want to experience the food out there not get some food that I could of gotten from McDonald's which in my opinion is gross! Any fast food for that matter! Is there a guide to some restaurants out there and what to order so that hat we wont get the frozen crap? I am a big boy and I can eat! Lol especially homemade food? Dont get in my way! Lol
You don't need app's or smart phones , just be a little smart yourself and wherever possible eat where the locals eat. They have been going there possibly for many years and there is still a " pulse ".
Also be adventurous if you Spanish is like mine just point to any dish on the menu and say por favour, it has never failed me. Although the first time I ordered 3 milk coffee and one black coffee in my best Spanish I received....one black coffee and 3 PACHARAN.
Fantastic now I always have a PACHARAN or 2, try it yourself.
In Spain there is no need to eat any of the crap you mentioned, be adventurous and dive in and fill your boots the local foods are amazing.

Buen Camino...............Keith.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not only do they often have English translation, they also often have pictures of the food. So if you're seriously Spanish-challenged, just point to the picture.

The stuff you really dont want to eat will sound like it's English equivalent (hot dog, hamburguesa, etc).

If it is not obvious then it is probably good. That's been a general rule of travel eating for me that's worked over the years. Tourist traps are usually the ones with the most "helpful" menus. If the cook gets up and decides what to make based on what's in the garden or market that day then they wont have a multilingual preprinted menu with photographs. If the only menu is written in chalk on a board on the wall and you've no idea what it says then there is a good chance of a real treat.

The vague and undescriptive "pota asturiana" was a tremendous find last year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I suggest you eat the Menu del Dia. That's what the locals order. It's always available at lunch (2-4pm) except Sundays. It consists of 3 courses, bread and wine (or water if you prefer), it's usually good and it's cheap. And you help the local economy.

Once lunch finishes you can be sure any food available in a restaurant before 10pm is not going to be eaten by the locals.

Nowadays I steer clear of the "Menu del Peregrino".

I follow Spanish custom and have my main meal between 2 and 4 (straight after the shower/laundry routine) at a restaurant. Then just some salad, cheese, olives, bread and fruit or something else light at night in my accommodation. Or picnic - very pleasant on a summer evening.

I do as Kanga does. Here is a Forum list of pilgrims' choices for a good Menu del Dia

Of course some hospitaleros provide GREAT communal donativo meals; those at Eunate (unfortuantely now closed), Granon and the albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo have always been memorable feasts. Don't miss such delicious pleasure and be sure to donate adequately for it !!

Margaret Meredith

The vague and undescriptive "pota asturiana" was a tremendous find last year.

Pote asturiano. ;)

I suggest you eat the Menu del Dia. That's what the locals order. It's always available at lunch (2-4pm) except Sundays. It consists of 3 courses, bread and wine (or water if you prefer), it's usually good and it's cheap. And you help the local economy.

También los domingos hay menú del día, aunque suelen costar un poco más que durante la semana, pero también suelen ser mejores.

Also on Sundays there is a daily menu, but usually cost a bit more during the week, but usually better.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pote asturiano. ;)

Thanks! And duly noted :)

It is fantastic, that and some sidra is exactly what anyone needs for life in the Asturias mountains. Real hearty food. Sausage, black pudding and belly pork, wonderful. The little cafe above the Fontana market in Oviedo did a very good Pote.

Found purely by chance, I had just finished the Salvador, pointed to the menu... I ate the entire pot of pote they brought to the table. Probably terribly bad manners but it was good.

Thanks! And duly noted :)

It is fantastic, that and some sidra is exactly what anyone needs for life in the Asturias mountains. Real hearty food. Sausage, black pudding and belly pork, wonderful. The little cafe above the Fontana market in Oviedo did a very good Pote.

Found purely by chance, I had just finished the Salvador, pointed to the menu... I ate the entire pot of pote they brought to the table. Probably terribly bad manners but it was good.

Aquí se dice "con fabes y sidrina nun fai falta gasolina".

Lo que acompaña a la berza, el chorizo, la morcilla, el lacón, tocino, se llama "compango", y es lo marca la diferencia entre un buen pote y otro que no lo es tanto. Por eso, generalmente, podrás comer mejores potes en zonas rurales, donde posiblemente, esos chorizos y morcillas sean caseras. Por la zona de Tineo y Allande, por ejemplo, todavía se cría mucho cerdo en las zonas rurales para hacer embutidos caseros. En esas zonas, normalmente comerás buenos potes.

Here it says "with beans and cider do not need gas."

The accompanying cabbage, sausage, black pudding, ham, bacon, called "compango" and is what makes the difference between a good pote and another that is not so. So, generally, you can eat better potes in rural areas where possibly these are homemade sausages and black pudding. What's Near Tineo and Allande, for example, is still much pig farming in rural areas to make homemade sausages. In these areas, usually eat good pots.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ntists-say-boost-gut-bacteria-taste-good.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ntists-say-boost-gut-bacteria-taste-good.html Im definitely using my translator to avoid this!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Are you suggesting that the sausages taste like s_____t?

<Sorry, very low hanging fruit, and I lack the self control to avoid it . . . >

Angulero is so right about the homemade sausage of Asturias. I recall taking a morsel of chorizo casero in a restaurant in Berducedo and the waitress was so taken by my delight at what was easily the best chorizo ever made on the planet, that she brought me in a full plate as an extra main course. I ate every bit. I fear that every dinner involved a bottle of sidra natural, which must be one of the best beverages I have ever consumed.

What Scott should do is simply learn the Spanish for those things he cannot or will not eat (for me it was tripe, brain, and oysters) and then just order away. The food of rural Spain is one of God's gifts to us and we should not ignore it.

Hi there,

You might check my compilation of good forum members gastronomic experiences on CF in attached file.
Ultreia y buen provecho!

Attachments

• CF Cuisine (update 02.04.2014).pdf
    155.9 KB · Views: 35
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm a pretty big guy myself and can put away the chow, and had no problem finding good food on the Camino and not once did I have to eat at some commercialized fast-food type place.
The "menu of the day" and the "pilgrim's menu" usually are three-course affairs with wine or water and bread included. They vary in quality and quantity just like any restaurant anywhere. I never really had what I would consider a bad meal at any of them.
You can also go to a grocery store or small market type store and load up on fruit, bread, sausage, cheese, etc if you want a change of pace and prepare your own meal(s).
Some albergues have communal meals included or sometimes you pay a little extra for the meal. One small albergue I stayed in was run by a very charming couple and that night the wife made homemade paella and we all sat outside at tables and had dinner together. It was delicious, and definitely the best meal I had on the Camino. I was absolutely stuffed at the end of the meal, and had about half a bottle of red wine in me as well. Nice....
Plenty of good food in Spain.

If you have the time to study why not get the LIghtfoot Guide "Camino Lingo" that our Sylvia co-authored with Reinette Novoa? It has all the language you will need for almost every situation including an extensive food section.

€83,-
I've recently returned from 2 weeks in Spain (not my Camino) with a Spanish speaking friend who is originally from Mexico. There were many things on the menu hat she had no clue what they were, so a lot of the time we just ordered something without really knowing what it was. One time I ended up with venison (which she knew but didn't tell me) and it was delicious! So my advice, just be adventurous in tasting the gastronomy. You never really know what you might like unless you try it anyway.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.