• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food - photos from the Camino

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I've just been sorting through Camino photos and I seem to have a lot of peculiar meals ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1398861269.518786.jpgphotographed. Anyone else?
Here's one from our Camino starting at Orleans. It is a whole Camembert, cooked, with chips on the side. The calories!!!!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I've just been sorting through Camino photos and I seem to have a lot of peculiar meals View attachment 9403photographed. Anyone else?
Here's one from our Camino starting at Orleans. It is a whole Camembert, cooked, with chips on the side. The calories!!!!
Wonderful idea @Kanga !!!

I have all sorts of photos, but none of the meals. Mainly because being on the budget which means chorizo&queso&pan, Platos Combinados and Menu del Peregrino. Nothing really worth taking my DSLR out :(
But looking forward to see those pics of beautiful meals which I can include in my list of "Good CF Cuisine Experiences" list. Hopefully the photos will be accompanied with additional data on where, what, how much etc.

Have a nice day!

K1

November 2011 at La Curiosa, Calle del Párroco José Álvarez, 15, Mansilla de las Mulas, near the friendly municipal albergue, I enjoyed an outstanding daily menu for only 10€. It included creamed cauliflower with bacon, grilled salmon and scalloped potatoes, lemon pudding, rosé wine and coffee! Wow! The Michelin inspector should try it! However, the daily menu is NOT offered on Sunday and in all probability the daily prices have risen slightly since 2011.

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
November 2011 at La Curiosa, Calle del Párroco José Álvarez, 15, Mansilla de las Mulas, near the friendly municipal albergue, I enjoyed an outstanding daily menu for only 10€. It included creamed cauliflower with bacon, grilled salmon and scalloped potatoes, lemon pudding, rosé wine and coffee! Wow! The Michelin inspector should try it! However, the daily menu is NOT offered on Sunday and in all probability the daily prices have risen slightly since 2011.

Margaret Meredith

Yum, that looks and sounds delicious.

Well here's the mixed platter for two, somewhere in Germany on the Jakubsweg. We actually ate most of it. Amazing what exercise can do for your appetite.

dinner jakub.JPG

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Double wow!
Hi Kanga, I've been following your comments. Have you finished your walk? I'm starting out 12 May and wondered if you have any advise for a loner Aussie hiker?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Kanga, I've been following your comments. Have you finished your walk? I'm starting out 12 May and wondered if you have any advise for a loner Aussie hiker?

I'm not on the walk this year but have walked 7 caminos in the past. Hoping to walk another next year. Will send a private message with contact info if you want to chat.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, in Leon... In a restaurant on the main street as you walk up towards the Cathedral. I'll see if I can find the name of the restaurant.

Paul.

Those massive meals would only serve to replenish the calories burnt up during a long days walk. No one has anything to feel guilty about. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Those massive meals would only serve to replenish the calories burnt up during a long days walk. No one has anything to feel guilty about. :)

I have a photo somewhere I can't find. One day on the Le Puy for lunch we had baguettes filled with frittes. Yes - huge chip butties.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Buffalo steaks in Gonzar (I *think* at Casa Garcia). The picture doesn't actually give sufficient credit to the size of these. It was at least 24 oz and 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick.

20130626_153309.jpg

You might notice a pair of glasses on the table. Those belong to my son. The next morning, at Hospital da Cruz (5 km down the road), he announced that he had left them behind at the albergue. So I made him walk back and get them while I waited at a bar drinking cafe con leche and reading a book. I guess he worked off all this protein faster that day than I did! An extra 10 km on a day seemed the perfect natural consequence . . . <he said with an evil chuckle>

I have a photo somewhere I can't find. One day on the Le Puy for lunch we had baguettes filled with frittes. Yes - huge chip butties.

Yum! Chip butties! I live with a pack of Aussies so this Yank knows all about chip butties!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yum! Chip butties! I live with a pack of Aussies so this Yank knows all about chip butties!

Oh no Monk Moses, that is a serious culinary insult. The chip butty is a product of Northern England - we were only eating them because we were with English friends.

Oh no Monk Moses, that is a serious culinary insult. The chip butty is a product of Northern England - we were only eating them because we were with English friends.

The Aussies I live with are all about their chip butties. With HP sauce if we can find it here in the colonies. :)

Hmmm chips with sugar (HP sauce) - actually due to finger fumbles that came out "hips with sugar" which is not far wrong....

€149,-
Kanga.....

MOULES! My better half will require names and places! Hopefully we'll get to meet you at one of the Sydney 'gatherings' and you can hand over said 'intelligence' :).

On the Chermin from Paris, pretty sure the town was Saintes. Absolutely delicious and huge bowls.

Steak Tartare is served very rare. :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yuk! the steak doesn't even look cooked and salad, thats just asking for delly belly

LOL! The French use real raw eggs in many dishes too. Like mayonnaise. Terribly dangerous. Particularly as their chickens just roam about the villages in the most unhygienic way. And have you seen a ripe unpasteurised French cheese under a microscope? Teaming with little wrigglers.

Incredible. Who'd eat French food?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
LOL! The French use real raw eggs in many dishes too. Like mayonnaise. Terribly dangerous. Particularly as their chickens just roam about the villages in the most unhygienic way. And have you seen a ripe unpasteurised French cheese under a microscope? Teaming with little wrigglers.

Incredible. Who'd eat French food?
I think I'll starve myself till I cross into Spain

€60,-
I think I'll starve myself till I cross into Spain

You should be right in Spain. Nothing to worry about in eating morcillas, those delicious sausages made from fresh pigs blood. And of course everyone lives on yummy bocadillos de jamón Serrano. The ham was not cooked but it is well dried, and the cigarette smoke from the bar in which it was hanging only adds to the flavour. I can't go past queso tetilla lovingly shaped by the farmer's own bare hands into the shape of a woman's breast. But of course we all love scrumptious pulpo, watching those huge octopus being pulled out of the water vats just makes my mouth water.
Food handling gloves? Silly idea.

You should be right in Spain. Nothing to worry about in eating morcillas, those delicious sausages made from fresh pigs blood. And of course everyone lives on yummy bocadillos de jamón Serrano. The ham was not cooked but it is well dried, and the cigarette smoke from the bar in which it was hanging only adds to the flavour. I can't go past queso tetilla lovingly shaped by the farmer's own bare hands into the shape of a woman's breast. But of course we all love scrumptious pulpo, watching those huge octopus being pulled out of the water vats just makes my mouth water.
Food handling gloves? Silly idea.

As a former chef de cuisine I can't wait to try all this yummy stuff!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pulpo pizza restaurant was... La trastienda del 13, Calle Ancha n01 0, 24003 Leon
Thank you, Paul.
That's very convenient location, very close to Hostel Unamuno where I'll be staying for two days beginning of July. I guess that one meal is already booked :)

So many good foods to try let the trying start on the 15th May in SJPDP where my lovely wife and I will enjoy being with our fellow pilgrims

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Food only? Here's my well-earned liquid refreshment on arrival at O Cebreiro? As Sydney Mike has asserted on another forum, pilgrims have to keep their ankles hydrated! (I'm not sure I know how to attach a photo--here's hoping.)

Attachments

• 82 Una clara con limón.JPG
    82 Una clara con limón.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This picture was taken in Carriόn de los Condes. I was all by myself, had just been diagnosed with tendinitis and told to “rest” my legs for five days ... My Camino I was at risk!!! I hobbled across the street to a bar where I bought a Coke, and was planning to sit in the sun and mull over my sorrows. The barkeep added the tapa gratis. I like to think it was his way of commiserating with me. In any event, it was a gesture much appreciated.

Camino 143.jpg

Buffalo steaks in Gonzar (I *think* at Casa Garcia). The picture doesn't actually give sufficient credit to the size of these. It was at least 24 oz and 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick.

View attachment 9703

You might notice a pair of glasses on the table. Those belong to my son. The next morning, at Hospital da Cruz (5 km down the road), he announced that he had left them behind at the albergue. So I made him walk back and get them while I waited at a bar drinking cafe con leche and reading a book. I guess he worked off all this protein faster that day than I did! An extra 10 km on a day seemed the perfect natural consequence . . . <he said with an evil chuckle>

Thats what I call a steak :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
From Kanga earlier:
"The French use real raw eggs in many dishes too. Like mayonnaise. Terribly dangerous. Particularly as their chickens just roam about the villages in the most unhygienic way. And have you seen a ripe unpasteurised French cheese under a microscope? Teaming with little wrigglers.

Incredible. Who'd eat French food?"

This from an Aussie! And they call us "whinging Poms" ! Toughen up, Kanga, toughen up!

We have free range chickens plus horses plus dogs so you can guess what part of their diet consists of. Never had a problem here, even with home-made mayonnaise, loads of unpasteurised cheese, jambon cru and black pudding (not necessarily all together or at the same time)!

As to mussels, some years ago, having sailed by yacht across the channel, I had a competition with my godson in Omonville-la-Rogue over moules mariniere. We admitted defeat after somewhere over 150 mussels each. After a leisurely digestif we then each had a fillet steak with pommes frites!

Last edited:

€60,-
I can still smell and taste this picture

Attachments

• DSC03905.JPG
    DSC03905.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 89
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After an extremely cold mesetta day I visited Bar Elvis to warm up with a cortado with orojo!As it made me feel much better I repeated the execcise at the next town!
Where is Bar Elvis? My husband is a fan so I will have to take him there on the name alone!! Thanks

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Best lunch I ever had around the left side of the cathedral in Leon!

Attachments

• Camino Two 056.JPG
    Camino Two 056.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 90
It is in Reliegos just before Mansilla de las Mulas. See this thread for more info.
Thanks Margaret. It certainly looks an interesting place and he does look like Ramone from "The Way". Don't think we would get peanut butter and banana fried sandwiches there like in Memphis but who knows, we will be open to lots of culinary experiences in Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just remembering the advertising brochures put out when the private albergue in Boadilla (with the lovely pool in a garden) first opened. We could not resist the invitation (in English) to stay and eat the "local foods on plates of mud"....

I think it meant "regional fare served in earthenware dishes".

Whatever, it was good!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When we got to Leon, I was missing home too. Where better to remember home than a McDonalds :)20130906_145706.jpg

When we got to Santiago, the menu had apple pie on it. Well, being from the Pennsylvania Dutch country, I wanted ice cream on my apple pie. The waiter refused to put ice cream on my pie, so I said "Give me an order of pie, and an order of ice cream". Thought I would just do it myself. Unfortunately, Spanish apple pie is nothing like my grandma used to make :( 20130919_220318.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I see that apart from the tortilla you managed to eat american style!

Oh no, we had plenty of the local cuisine. These were just my "missing home" meals :) Tried pulpo for the first time and loved it. Also bought a paella pan when we got home, loved that too :) I chickened out on the trucha, though. Might have to try that next time we go back!!

Kanga's chip butty looks very toothsome.:)

you know what, I've come to the conclusion that the spanish can only cook paela everthing else they try and cook is rubbish. I never had a decent meal all the time I was on the camino.

you know what, I've come to the conclusion that the spanish can only cook paela everthing else they try and cook is rubbish. I never had a decent meal all the time I was on the camino.
For shame! ;) Were you cooking for yourself? :rolleyes:

My walking companion declared that she was not going to cook at all while on our Camino junket. Aside from little picnics we had on the path with groceries we bought, we ate all our meals in bars and restaurants, and had many wonderful meals. I don't eat meat, but the seafood was great, and the salads superb.

I cannot imagine what you were eating whilst you were in Spain, or what your past culinary experiences have been, to have come up with an opinion like that!

My gast is totally flabbered!

I would have to nominate this plate full of mini sandwiches, served up as a free tapa with my glass of wine in Tui on the camino Portuguese. No need to buy supper that night!

image.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

So how about elBuli? Consistently Michelin 3 starred restaurant considered by many food writers and chefs the best restaurant in the world and Ferran Aria, the head chef, a genius. Customers came from all over the world specifically to eat there, and had to make a reservation over 12 months in advance. Sadly it closed in 2011.

Don't expect good cooking if you eat the Pilgrim Menu at 6 or 7 pm, when no Spaniard would dream of eating and which is dished up as cheaply as possible. If you are paying peanuts you often get peanuts.

Wonderful meals in restaurants, albergues and cafes ~ small, large, shared, solo ~ coffee stop treats ~ lunchtime picnics ~ throughout both caminos. This plate from a wonderful tapas bar in Navarette was memorable and of course, the iconic ensalada mixta.

Attachments

• Tapas in Navarette.jpg
    Tapas in Navarette.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Ensalada Mixta.jpg
    Ensalada Mixta.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 60
Fabas con almejas.

IMAG1627_zps79dbd2a6.jpg

Patatas rellenas.

IMAG1639_zpsb841a2ab.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How does one post a picture? I have a picture of a plate of "Pig Ears" served as a meal on the Camino. Yes--real pig ears.

Forgot--What did you pay for Tapas? Most we were charged was 5 euros per tapa in small bar; received one free tapa per beer in a few bars.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407116000.395173.jpg

And was I surprised at this course as part of the menu del dia at Los Reyes de Jamon in Logrono.

I didn't recognize the Spanish name of the dish as recited by the waitress so I asked what it was. She pointed at her hip which was fine since the restaurant specialized in ham. Believe me what was on the plate didn't come from anywhere near that pig's hip. More near to his boots.. But the cardon first course was wonderful!

How does one post a picture? I have a picture of a plate of "Pig Ears" served as a meal on the Camino. Yes--real pig ears.

Depends on whether you are using a browser or a mobile app. On the browser you "upload a file". On the app there is a small photo icon (on mine anyway). Keep looking - you'll find it.

Had a lovely meal (mostly) in Santiago last week in celebration of the completion of the Camino Ingles. The ingredient on top of my avacado / tomato salad was a surprise. And I'm not talking about the olives. The waiter said it was fish. Later I found out exactly what it was - Angulas (baby eels). Never had them before and probably never will again :D At the same meal, the best flan I've ever had!

Attachments

• Surprise Salad.jpg
    Surprise Salad.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Flan.jpg
    Flan.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 42

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.