• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food!!!!!

Lou elliott

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago
calling all pilgrims interested in food
When you walked the camino what food did you crave/search for -what were you tired of and what were you wishing you could find
Let me know for research purposes-did you treat yourselves to snacks/chocolate/trail mix -did any albergues provided picnic take away provisions?
Thanks for your feed back !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You need to be more focused regarding your question or you are going to find out a lot of nothing. Like, for instance I am never looking for KFC or MCD's in France or Spain . So where does that leave you. I don't do snacks, either in Spain, France or American except a for bag of potato chips with my beer every evening and the chips in Spain are the best in the world.
The food is regional and therefore no uniformity of how beans, pork, beef, chicken is prepared. You might crave calamari frites and find out that calamari grilled is the only option. Where do we go from here? Enjoy:).

With me, my favorite dish is the paella. There are several different types in Spain depending on the region, but I like them all as long as they are homemade style. Also I thought the beer in Spain was good. All the brands.
I didn't really care for the frequency of french-fries (chips) as a side on many dishes. Don't really eat them here in the US, so wasn't much interested eating them much in Spain.
As far as snacks go, it was fresh fruit and dark chocolate for me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree with everything that Mark Lee said above, fruit wasn't always the best quality amazingly as I think much of the best is exported. Had some lovely peaches, oranges and of course tomatoes that I liked to carry and eat like apples.
Also got fed up with fries but there is always a choice, strangely craved Burgers by the end, not a food type I usually indulge in but could afford the calories at the time.
Don't miss the Chocolate con Churros in Burgos if you have a sweet tooth.

Buen Camino
Sarah

Paella can be fantastic but caution must be taken! It is a regional food from around Valencia so if you are walking the Camiño de Levante it should be great, along the Camiño Francés it probably came out of the freezer in a box and was microwaved or be ready to pay...a lot. Pilgrim menus can be, ah, well, boring big time - the ubiquitous lomo is soon ignored, baccalà can be found but like paella the better dishes will set you back, regional dishes also include corva de jamón - ham hocks - delicious but not for the faint at heart. Beware the Spanish omlette! Also found everywhere and usually found sitting on a dish or tray covered by a clear glass or plastic cover can be fantastic, the question remains how long has it been there waiting for you? If you see it come out of the kitchen go for it, the microwave may heat one previously made but it does nothing to restore its taste. Bocadillo? The Spanish sandwich - you want one with chorizo? That's what you get, chorizo and baguette . You want with tuna? Tuna and baguette . Salami? Salami and baguette . In order to avoid disappointment, tell the guy exactly what you want tomato lettuce (lechuga) onion (cebolla), whatever. Try everything until you find what you like, patronize the weekly markets you will meet and buy what you realy want, cook for yourself.

What I was fantasized about was a bocadillo that consists of more than just fresh bread + one filling. Actually I created a whole bocadillo menu a la Subways in my mind:

White or whole wheat bread?
Salsa like in mantequilla/tomato-garlic/aioli?
Lettuce/tomato slices/fresh onion rings?

A whole wheat baguette with cheese and onion marmalade or a white baguette with lettuce, tomato slices, fresh onion rings, gherkins and jamon serrano were very high on my dream list! SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Paella can be fantastic but caution must be taken! It is a regional food from around Valencia so if you are walking the Camiño de Levante it should be great, along the Camiño Francés it probably came out of the freezer in a box and was microwaved or be ready to pay...a lot. Pilgrim menus can be, ah, well, boring big time - the ubiquitous lomo is soon ignored, baccalà can be found but like paella the better dishes will set you back, regional dishes also include corva de jamón - ham hocks - delicious but not for the faint at heart. Beware the Spanish omlette! Also found everywhere and usually found sitting on a dish or tray covered by a clear glass or plastic cover can be fantastic, the question remains how long has it been there waiting for you? If you see it come out of the kitchen go for it, the microwave may heat one previously made but it does nothing to restore its taste. Bocadillo? The Spanish sandwich - you want one with chorizo? That's what you get, chorizo and baguette . You want with tuna? Tuna and baguette . Salami? Salami and baguette . In order to avoid disappointment, tell the guy exactly what you want tomato lettuce (lechuga) onion (cebolla), whatever. Try everything until you find what you like, patronize the weekly markets you will meet and buy what you realy want, cook for yourself.
True. If you had paella that was included on a "pilgrim's menu" or the "menu of the day", it was in all probability reheated/microwaved. It doesn't do homemade paella justice, but if you look around a bit while walking the Camino Frances you will find somewhere where you can get it homemade style, and it's damn good. ;)
108.JPG El Camino day 4-1 (15).jpg paella.jpg

On my first Camino I learned to appreciate and munch on dried apricots...Heavenly!
I always had loved pintxos /tapas so was very happy when I reached Logroño to go on a pintxos crawl ( took a hotel that night ).
I also craved for regular Coca Cola ( something I never ever drink at home ) and salted crisps..might be because of the salt and energy I lost while walking.

What I do not get though are the canned asparagus when ( especially around Aragon and Rioja ) you can get the fresh ones !

The cardboard pizza that I've eaten in Hontanas was a disgrace....but that was entirely my own mistake...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wine and beer! Go regional, aviod the by the glass Rioja in the cafe/bar, try Ribeiro, Bierzo (!), the penultimate Spanish wine, a white(!!!) Albariño. And yes, as I have already mentioned, Emergency Rations! a can of Estrella beer in the top of my backpack, for when you really need it. "Be Prepared" said Baden-Powell.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Beware the Spanish omlette! Also found everywhere and usually found sitting on a dish or tray covered by a clear glass or plastic cover can be fantastic, the question remains how long has it been there waiting for you? If you see it come out of the kitchen go for it, the microwave may heat one previously made but it does nothing to restore its taste.

The spanish omelette, as many other dishes, tastes better when you let it stand for some time. In fact, many people likes it cold. At bars, as a pintxo, the waiter usually asks you if you want it heated (always in the microwave).

Well said scruffy1, Paella is definitely not at home along the camino and the deep-frozen variety advertised with mouthwatering pictures is invariably trash. The broader issue however is the fact, that an overwhelming majority of peregrinos is neither willing to pay for good food, nor does it seem to care. That many albergues in spite of it manage to serve hearty, sometimes even tasty meals is amazing and a blessing for those peregrinos on a tight budget. But let's face it: many, especially coming from overseas would be able to afford a few extra coins to indulge their palate if they wanted (cared-) to. The better Restaurants in regions along the camino, especially in Rioja and Galicia offer wonderful culinary specialities but strayed pilgrims will invariably order the menú peregrino or, -when feeling frivolous, the menú del día. No wonder that the ambitious caterers long lost interest in wasting their skills. The result is the prevailing local variety of junk food (that is usually flushed down with sugared soda....even in Gods own vineyard, the Rioja :mad:)
In short, (good-) food along the camino is a sad story but those interested in culinary culture and willing to go the extra mile can find delightful and delicious exceptions.

When you walked the camino what food did you crave/search for -what were you tired of and what were you wishing you could find
Let me know for research purposes-did you treat yourselves to snacks/chocolate/trail mix -did any albergues provided picnic take away provisions?
Hi Lou,
Are you researching for future business opportunities or as a future pilgrim? If it's the former, things I craved but struggled to find include protein bars, steamed broccoli, instant oatmeal, and raw almonds. If it's the latter, the things I found and totally enjoyed on a regular basis were pimientos de padron, pulpo, calamares, manchego, canned tuna in oil, ensalada mixta, trout, cherries, carrots, and wine. Oh, and chocolate bars with almonds.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Lou,
Are you researching for future business opportunities or as a future pilgrim? If it's the former, things I craved but struggled to find include protein bars, steamed broccoli, instant oatmeal, and raw almonds. If it's the latter, the things I found and totally enjoyed on a regular basis were pimientos de padron, pulpo, calamares, manchego, canned tuna in oil, ensalada mixta, trout, cherries, carrots, and wine. Oh, and chocolate bars with almonds.
Next year I may have the chance to run a small vegetarian Albergue so I m interested to add to pilgrims overall enjoyment
When I did the way I ate far too much delicious white bread ,craved vegetables that weren't overlooked and loved cafe con leche-I had hoped to lose a few pounds but I think I ate more than I used!!! Thanks for your comments

You need to be more focused regarding your question or you are going to find out a lot of nothing. Like, for instance I am never looking for KFC or MCD's in France or Spain . So where does that leave you. I don't do snacks, either in Spain, France or American except a for bag of potato chips with my beer every evening and the chips in Spain are the best in the world.
The food is regional and therefore no uniformity of how beans, pork, beef, chicken is prepared. You might crave calamari frites and find out that calamari grilled is the only option. Where do we go from here? Enjoy:).
Thanks for your comments
I hear what you're saying !!! I m just doing a bit of research now that may help with a future project -any food feed back is helpful!

From a vegetarian...
It would be very nice to have:
Fresh veggies, lots of them, and not overcooked.
Good wholegrain bread.
Some kind of protein as an alternative to the universal standby of tortilla/omelet.
A good breakfast: muesli, plain yoghurt, fruit...then the cafe con leche and toast! ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks that's really helpful -muesli and yogurt with fresh fruit-yum yum !!

Let me first say that I love the paella, in Spain. It was interesting and surprising to learn that the best paella I ate in Spain was cooked by a Mexican cook and I really loved it. I also loved the lamb we ate in O'Cebreiro cooked in a fire pit.
By the time we had reached Portomarin (this is going to sound awwwful) , all I really wanted was a hamburger ( a plain hamburger and not McDonals). And if the hamburger came with cheese then all the better. Let me qualify what I just said by stating that I do sometimes crave a hamburger when I haven't had them in a long while. It's something like this-I love a hot dog, but I may only eat a hot dog twice a year. Yes, I was able to find a good hamburger that was not McDonalds in Portomarin.
On the road we alway snacked on natures berries, figs (when we could find them), and bought fruit for the day at the local stores.

Last edited:
Hi I am new to the forum and also want to know:
1. Do (some, most, any) of the Albergues provide meals with lodging say a dinner meal?
2. Is breakfast meal something you get night before, or on the way out of town?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi I am new to the forum and also want to know:
1. Do (some, most, any) of the Albergues provide meals with lodging say a dinner meal?
2. Is breakfast meal something you get night before, or on the way out of town?
You will be receiving a lot of answers to your questions but here is my simple answer.
1.) In some albergues your only option for a meal will be with them if they are in a remote place.
2.) In some albergues they offer a communal dinner and it might be your best option for dinner.
3.) Some albergues offer nothing.
4.) Some albergues have kitchens where you can cook and/or share a meal with fellow pilgrims.
Most hostels and upscale places have meal options and most, if not all, will not allow you to cook in their kitchens.
Breakfast is usually toast made with yesterday's bread and cup of coffee.
If you walk and wait until 9 0r 10 you can get a great cup cafe and a bacon and egg sandwich.
If you are looking for something like a cup of yogurt and a banana for breakfast, buy it the night before.

@ Angel-hart: Attached is a list that I used all the time on my camino two years ago, can no longer find it (or an updated version) on this forum. On it, you find all the info you need. :)

Attachments

• Albergues_Camino_Frances_July_2013.xlsx.zip
    66.9 KB · Views: 54
I have not taken the time to read all the responses, my biggest suggestion is learn enough spanish to ask for what you are wanting. Ok so you won't really know until you start walking. Mine were avocado tomatoes & lettuce. Google translate is great for this (when you have wifi). The pears are to die for. Oddly enough I now crave green olives & beer. Got very tired of bread, but now I miss it. When I go back I will try to cook as I think you eat better as the markets can be wonderful. Biggest mistake I made was thinking spanish food would be close to Hispanic dishes from my neighbors to my south. Not even close.
In any case enjoy.
Buien Camino
Keith

What I craved toward the end was tacos. I mean I really wanted a Mexican taco, a close second craving was for barbecue. Other than that I just moved between what was local, the pilgrim menu, and cooking with other pilgrims.

On the topic of paella, I had one good one and two that were very bad. In fact after the second bad one I told someone that could make a better paella than that. Next time it was my turn to cook I did so. I was so glad to share it and show people that stuff on the pilgrim's menu should not be used as an example. The fact that I received an unsolicited compliment from a Spaniard was a point of pride for me.

One other thing, if you don't know to ask for better wine when you get a bad one you may get stuck with plonk, even in La Rioja. In the past, (not on the Camino), I got some great unlabeled bottles of wine. Along the Camino Frances I occasionally got pretty poor examples. Ask for something better and it will usually appear.

My only real tips on food would be: 1) Ask locals for recommendations. 2) Conduct all food related talk in Spanish.

I have not taken the time to read all the responses, my biggest suggestion is learn enough spanish to ask for what you are wanting. Ok so you won't really know until you start walking. Mine were avocado tomatoes & lettuce. Google translate is great for this (when you have wifi). The pears are to die for. Oddly enough I now crave green olives & beer. Got very tired of bread, but now I miss it. When I go back I will try to cook as I think you eat better as the markets can be wonderful. Biggest mistake I made was thinking spanish food would be close to Hispanic dishes from my neighbors to my south. Not even close.
In any case enjoy.
Buien Camino
Keith

Many people from the US make this mistake, which is good somehow as they can discover and enjoy a lot of new flavours.

Spanish cook has nothing to do with those americans. As an european country, its culture and costumes are related with its neighbours and those who historically have crossed the peninsula.

I recommend the different cheeses and chorizos you can find in each region, all married with the appropiate regional wines and a piece of nice bread.

Whole grain bread. Certainly some baker somewhere in Spain has a recipe for it

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many people from the US make this mistake, which is good somehow as they can discover and enjoy a lot of new flavours.

Spanish cook has nothing to do with those americans. As an european country, its culture and costumes are related with its neighbours and those who historically have crossed the peninsula.

I recommend the different cheeses and chorizos you can find in each region, all married with the appropiate regional wines and a piece of nice bread.
Pabloke thank you for replying. I simply love Spain even though this was my first trip to Spain I truly need more education in the culture. I made one very bad mistake, on my last day arriving in Finnesterre I had purchased fish for lunch I had not looked at the cost as I was very use to inexpensive food on the Camino. They charged me 50 euro for a 8" fish. I did not complain at the time as I figured I did not pay attention. So after walking to the lighthouse & back to Finnesterre I arrived at an albergue for the night. A spanish guy asked me if I needed a place to go for dinner as the fish was fresh. I replied the fish was too expensive, I think he was a fisherman as he was instantly on the fight. Needles to say I learned a good lesson about negativity & being too honest. As he did everything he could to fight. I still feel bad

I missed chiles, but then I always do whenever I travel someplace that doesn't use them much in their cooking. I keep saying that I am going to bring a small bottle of Cholula, Tapatio, or Pepper Plant sauce next time around :) I used to travel with a colleague that had a bottle of Tapatio in a holster on his belt.

When I craved something homely and English - I made boiled eggs (with peacekeepers not soldiers!)
I found that there were less vegetables with meals than I would eat at home (I'm not a vegi but love my veggies!) so I would be happy to find a vegi albergue serving meals. Perhaps a good thick bean stew - Asturian style, with root veg instead of meat. A big salad with different stuff like hummous, coleslaw, cold roast veg, potato salad, pickles... You could probably sell a lot of that to pilgrims (filling their own containers) to eat for lunch next day with the ubiquitous white bread.
I would like to see more wholemeal/grain breads.
The cold cous-cous salad was good - found in most shop's fridges, but I did get a bit tired of cheese or ham or cheese or ham...
After 4 months away as soon as I got back to Blighty - I wanted fish n chips and proper ale, then a English cooked breakfast next morning, then a roast dinner, a huge pasty, then a ploughmans...
Then I fancied a good paella/tortilla/sardinha again!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I loved the pulpo. Never had it before we walked the Camino. The Spanish omelets were great also!! The ensalada ruso (potato salad) was great, even made some when we came home for a party and it was a huge hit!! Also had a bar-b-que pizza one day. That was AWESOME!! Love pizza and love bar-b-que :) Found out when we got home that you can buy it here in the USA. Never knew that, but we live far away from any big cities and no-one around here makes it. One weird thing while we were there: kept seeing signs for McDonalds so I started getting a craving (maybe just homesick??), but then in Leon, we stopped at one (Sorry Biarritzdon :( ). Had a McTimber (which we don't have here) and it was pretty good. Basically, just one of their burgers with mac and cheese on it :) The weird thing was that we don't eat at McDonalds here :p

If you want to see happy pilgrims at your albergue I would sell bananas and boiled eggs, definitely - great walking food, in own packaging, very transport friendly. Other things I would have liked to see are fruit and veg that are *not* transport friendly, things that would bruise or turn to mush in a backpack: tomatoes, cucumber, pears, berries etc. And home made stews are great, though personally I prefer something less hearty in the heat. I'd love to find food with veg you don't normally get like like salads with grated carrot and/or avocado, or a tortilla or quiche with for ex leek and broccoli - which is also transport friendly - or a couscous or pasta salad which pilgrims can take with them the next day if there is something left over? Oooh, I'm hungry now. *goes to cook chicken and chorizo paella with lots of veg*

Pabloke thank you for replying. I simply love Spain even though this was my first trip to Spain I truly need more education in the culture. I made one very bad mistake, on my last day arriving in Finnesterre I had purchased fish for lunch I had not looked at the cost as I was very use to inexpensive food on the Camino. They charged me 50 euro for a 8" fish. I did not complain at the time as I figured I did not pay attention. So after walking to the lighthouse & back to Finnesterre I arrived at an albergue for the night. A spanish guy asked me if I needed a place to go for dinner as the fish was fresh. I replied the fish was too expensive, I think he was a fisherman as he was instantly on the fight. Needles to say I learned a good lesson about negativity & being too honest. As he did everything he could to fight. I still feel bad

Many times you don't know why people get angry.

The truth is that 50€ sounds expensive but all depends on which fish did you eat and where. In general, the cost of life in Spain is lower than in the USA or in the rest of the Western Europe, but you can find some prices...

€83,-

Paella or arroz. For a reestaurant the problem with the paella is the quantity. Is very difficult to make a paella for 1 people. For two people is possible but usualy the minimum must be for four or six people. You can make a paella or arroz as many ingredients as you like, it is like italian pasta or potatoes. It fits with almost all ingredients you add, chicken, rabbit, vegetables, fish, seafood The big problem of a paella is overcooking. In paella riz must finish dry, a bit crispy without soup. But if you dont eat quickly became overcook and the grains are not agreable to eat. The owner of a restaurant tryes to get as so many as possible money and do the same with spaniards. They know that probably you will not come back again. There are also good restaurants at good prices to have a good meal.
The spanish bocadillo is exactly that, a bar of bread with something between bread. It is not like sandwich with lettuce, onion or tomato. If you like somting more you must ask for it. However there are combinatios like ham or lomo with pepper, or other mix with or without sauce or vegetal bocadillos.
Abot the spanish omelet you can eat cold or heat. An omelet like paella is better to do for eight ot ten people. A good omelet must be quite juicy but sanitary rules don let it. Egg must be completely coagulated. It is not allowed to use raw eggs, they must use pasteuriced mix of egg or huevina. The spanish law is very strict in these terms of use raw eggs.
The reason of covering the dishes is to avoid contaminatios from the air and food must be refrigerated.

How much would you pay for a delicious 3 course pilgrims supper with wine? This ,again , is by way of research for a possible Albergue next year -never going to be a millionaire but would need to cover costs -trying to do the maths!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How much would you pay for a delicious 3 course pilgrims supper with wine? This ,again , is by way of research for a possible Albergue next year -never going to be a millionaire but would need to cover costs -trying to do the maths!
It was between 10 & 15e if I remember corectly, my total trip cost was around 4500e with airline, shuttle, train & 5 days in Madrid being a tourist at the end. 42 days total.

Can you do it cheaper I am sure, if you stay away from alcohol, cook your own meals & avoid hotels at the end. The food is good but you have to be willing to search it out & walk a little more to find more variety. Some days you will simply be too tired. It is a wonderful experience.
Keith

Lou, I'm a vegetarian and one of the minority who don't drink, so paying 8-10 euros (the going rate) for a pilgrim's meal with wine never appealed much. Now, a good vegetarian meal? That'd be another story completely. I'd happily pay that much.
It may be complicated, but may I would a 2-tier pricing--with and without the wine?

If I knew it was going to be good I would happily pay €15. That is the problem though, it's hard to know what will be great and what be average. That will make it hard to charge more than €10. Maybe list it as a Menu del Dia instead of a Perigrino Menu.

Lou, I'm a vegetarian and one of the minority who don't drink, so paying 8-10 euros (the going rate) for a pilgrim's meal with wine never appealed much. Now, a good vegetarian meal? That'd be another story completely. I'd happily pay that much.
It may be complicated, but may I would a 2-tier pricing--with and without the wine?
Viranani, so what and where did you eat? Are there vegetarian tapas? I am also a non drinking lacto-ovo vegetarian. Le Puy was wonderful because the French don't use animal fat to season their food. I always had to pay the same price as the others, but the host usually tried to do something special for me, which I really appreciated. In Spain, after clearly explaining my needs, I was given beans which I later discovered contained pork for "flavor"... After being a vegetarian for over 40 years, animal fat tends to wreak havoc on my system. Not fun. I don't want to cook so I'm nervous about eating healthy.

Viranani, so what and where did you eat?
Where everyone else did, and made do;).
I'm a long-time vegetarian, like you--so I know what you mean. But I eat eggs and dairy. So for lunch (in bars) I would generally get a bocadilla or tortilla--and I'd pack some raw veggies from a shop. I ate way more than the normal amount of eggs and cheese, and a lot of bread and salad. I totally craved vegetables. If I ate out, there might be a veg option on the menu, and occasionally there was a soup--like sopa de ajo--that was purely veg, but I had to ask. Places where you could get a veg meal were precious! (There are threads here about that elsewhere...my personal favorite bar was El Llar (not sure I'm spelling that right), a few Kms after Astorga. Tried to get a meal at Sarasante in Pamplona but it was closed. :()
But!! In Galicia, as you get close to SdC (I first came on them at Ribadiso)....yes, veg tapas (!) in the form of pimentos de padron. Little sweet (mostly:eek:) peppers seared whole in olive oil and then topped with coarse salt. Ambrosia. So while everyone else was scarfing pulpo, I was happily in another corner making up for 5 weeks of vegetable deprivation!:D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Gracias!!! I'll watch for the pimentos de pardon...

Dang auto-correct!!! Padron.

I like 'pardon'...cute! :D
In the meantime, hang in there. Hopefully you'll find some gems along the way (BTW, there's a new macrobiotic place in Vega de Valcarce...yum. And these albergues are guaranteed to have good vegetarian food: San Antonio de Padua in Mazariffe, Verde in Hospital de Orbigo, Pieros, and El Beso in A Balsa...)

Last edited:

This is definitely one to be careful of and possibly avoid. However,there is a place in Hornillos, Albergue El Alfar, where the owners make a superb fresh paella for dinner in pilgrims. He is more than happy to explain the process as he is cooking it, too.

Food I kind of semi crave away from the Camino has to be pulpo, along with the setting in one of those pulperias.
I have recently been craving a good cocido maragato too.
I also miss a really good boccadillo with the very fresh crusty bread - amazing.
It's also great to get a good morcilla dish from around Leon and one of those yummy river trout from either Navarra area or El Acebo.
The lechazo lamb is amazing in Castrojeriz too.

The menu del peregrino is ok occasionally and as someone mentioned earlier, the ubiquitous lomo is just so, so dull as are the constanly listed fried eggs and small piece of frozen sea fish. Only a couple of Euros more gets a much better menu del dia. If your budget allows a few Euros more than that, it's well worth getting the waiter's recommendation on a really really good meal. Also, check out tripadvisor in advance for the kind of reviews restaurants in the bigger towns and cities are getting.

06:00 - 1l of drinkable yogurt, purchased on a day before
09:00 - grande cafe con leche, tortilla, if not available, then bocadillo
10:00 - 19:00 water or ice tee ad libitum, sporadicly some nuts or an apple
20:00 - menu del dia (noche), usually upgraded with some fine crianza. before Galicia mostly carne, then exclusively pesco

.... so paying 8-10 euros (the going rate) for a pilgrim's meal with wine never appealed much. Now, a good vegetarian meal? That'd be another story completely. I'd happily pay that much.

Hi Viranani,

This has been one of the topics that I've been fretting over - yes, I know, it's only food, but I expect that, when on the road (and preparing for it), it is the trite things like food and a place to sleep that take over a great part of your daily musings. I have mostly been worried about not offending the hospitaleros or whoever is in charge of offering the pilgrim meals. Being a lacto-vegetarian (no eggs or other animal products, except dairy) in Spain is difficult as it is, and I don't expect any different from el camino, which is absolutely fine, just as long as I am not offending any good intentions. Is that even a thing to worry about? Is it OK to say no to a communal meal?

Cheers,
Zuze

Hi, Zuze!
I would say that if you explain your situation, people will understand--and perhaps do their best to offer you something even if it is only salad. I was only in albergues that offered communal meals 4 times in my 33 day camino, and fortunately it turned out they were all vegetarian, and very good. One option is to find albergues that have a kitchen--which is very easy to do, they're very common--and cook for yourself.
(Without eating eggs...you will be challenged in the protein department, as most legume dishes are cooked with some form of meat. But fortunately coffee con leche has protein, and there is a lot of good cheese!)
Buen Camino...no worries...relax and enjoy!

Hi, Zuze!
and there is a lot of good cheese!)

Oh yes - the good cheese! Looking forward to that.
Thanks for explaining. This helps. And yes, the kitchen thing was what I was planning to do, but was simply thinking that at some places it might not be available or that there are some unwritten rules, an etiquette about compulsory acceptance of a communal meal. But this is probably a different topic. Thanks again!

You're welcome!...and someone else may have a sense of the etiquette question. It never came up for me, so I don't know.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have my own questions about food. As a semi-vegetarian (used to be an ovo-lacto, now add fish, generally few other sea foods) there are the questions of eating communal meals and avoiding hidden meat products, mentioned above. I too cannot digest meat protein and prefer not to try. But my other question is when to eat. After 47 years as a vegetarian, and almost as long as a backpacker, I have adapted my hiking meals to my bodily needs. I eat a large breakfast before starting out in the morning, preferably well before, so it is settled. When I stop for lunch, it is a long rest followed by a very small meal - generally two pieces of flatbread and two pieces of cheese. My stomach simply will not accept food when I am exercising vigorously. After I stop for the day, by the time that I have set up camp, I am ready to eat a fairly substantial evening meal. I see that everyone posting on this forum talks about walking some distance then stopping at a bar for breakfast. No can do. Lunch is equally problematical. Generally, I consume iced tea from a powdered mix, as well as water, to stay hydrated and help keep my blood sugar up during the day. Can I purchase muesli or other non-sugared cereal, powered milk, and dried fruit along the camino? What about a fairly low-sugar iced tea mix? I have been thinking of bringing some powdered milk with me, but am concerned about trying to take any food in through customs, or even from the Calgary airport through American customs, as I am flying American Airlines to Madrid. I am not a fussy eater and can probably survive on tortillas con patatas for dinner, with salads as available. But I don't see how I can walk without breakfast, or try to eat it after getting into my stride for the day. Any information from other breakfast eaters would be welcome.

Hi Albertagirl, I am also a semi-vegetarian, and like you, a breakfast person. It took me a long time to adapt to the Spanish way of eating. Breakfast on the camino consists of café con leche and yesterday’s (stale) white bread, toasted, with a pat of butter and a pat of jam. I have now accepted that, and go with it, but you may prefer to buy muesli and powdered milk from supermarkets as you go along, and eat that for breakfast. Maybe mix it all up into little ziploc bags, so you can just add water, and eat directly from the bag (take a spoon with!). I usually carry a muesli-type snackbar or two in my pack for when there is nowhere open for breakfast after you are tossed out of the albergue at 8am, and you HAVE to walk to the next town. (This happens more often out of season, from mid-Oct onwards.)

I also struggled with the pilgrim menu in the evening. There is usually a choice for vegetarians, although I gave up lentil soup when I found globules of pork fat in it one evening. The problem for me was the quantity. Because I had paid for it I tended to eat it all, and then spent half the night unable to sleep because my stomach was groaning.

So I now tend to have my main meal about 1pm at a convenient restaurant along the way, and take a long leisurely lunch, walking the last 5kms or so after 3pm. In the evening I’ll just snack on tapas. Jill

Albertagirl:
Lots of bread/toast is consumed at breakfast. I had musli several times as well, it was fairly common in the private alburgues. Even more so in the privates that served vegetarian dinners. Alternatively, you could buy some at a store along the way and eat it with plain yoghurt in the morning. Another thing I found a couple times was was toast served with a tomato compote. That was one of my favorites. Have that with some cheese and you may be ready to go for a good while. Since you eat eggs/dairy/fish you'll probably be fine. Salads normally come with tuna and egg, so there would be a good evening option for the big evening meal you mentioned. There are some great bean and lentil dishes as well- just ask if they were prepared with pork. Rule of thumb, if it doesn't say vegetarian, it's probably not.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The body can do much more than we think it can. Once I walked 17 Km before eating anything...it was not intentional but there was noplace open in the morning where I was staying. I hadn't thought of that the night before. :(
So being prepared is the solution to your breakfast question--buy something the night before at a tienda or bar. You can always get fruit, bread, eggs, and usually yoghurt. Muesli is here and there; you can find it in the big cities. If you have tea bags and sugar (bring your own bags if you don't like Liptons) you can make your own tea for the day.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks to all three of you. I shall adjust as I can, but when it is a matter of what the body needs it is difficult to change. I am taking my Sierra cup and will try to have with me food that I can eat cold in the mornings. Yogurt with my muesli sounds good and is a luxury that I could not get if carrying all my food for a backpacking trip. I suppose it is all part of the adventure. I am walking in October/November, so may have some challenges with things being open when I need to eat.

Next year I may have the chance to run a small vegetarian Albergue so I m interested to add to pilgrims overall enjoyment
When I did the way I ate far too much delicious white bread ,craved vegetables that weren't overlooked and loved cafe con leche-I had hoped to lose a few pounds but I think I ate more than I used!!! Thanks for your comments
Great Idea - I am a veggie but ate Fish cheeses and eggs for my 2014 camino - there is a lot of variances on that available as far as Leon on the Frances. ..although the menu del dia was often all about canned tuna and canned asparagus and the lentil soup always had bits of ham floating in it even though they swore it was vegetarian:) Up until then the peregrino food was fresh and well served. After Leon the food seemed to deteriorate( perhaps I was in the wrong spots) - I struggled a bit to find "decent veggie food" the salads seemed to consist mainly of pale lettuce with unappetizing protein - and I don't do Pulpo(Melide) - a good fish dish was hard to find. There are great canned Mediterranean sardines en route and many a time breakfast/ lunch consisted of a halved bocadillo filled with canned sardines -yum - cheese or Tortilla(potato omelette). As for snacks which I seldom did there was always a banana or orange or nuts to be found. the water at all the fountains was great! Vino tinto and/or Cerveza con limon after a long day - nothing better.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Recommend Villar de Mazarife Alberge San Antonio, all veggie and the best gazpacho I ever tasted. Alberge Verde in Hospital de Orbigo superb Veggie empanada and vegan cake! Pieros Alberge Serbal y Luna, we were the only guests and got all almost vegan fresh food, great value. Las Herrerias another good all Veggie Albergue, salads were different here at last. San Mamed del Camino, Alberge Paloma y Lena, all veggie alberge, delicious Veggie quiche and wonderful warm fireplace.

I found it easier after Leon and chose veggie most of the time but tried everything! Even pork, burgers and pulpo! When I return this year I will not be eating bread! Now that is going to be a challenge!!!
Buen Camino
Sarah

I craved salt with my food. When I asked for salt it usually arrived after a LONG time. I am told Europeans and Americans are now eating less salt and in some places it is against the law to add it to food. On my 3 trips I always arrived home ... something was physically wrong and I was bla. Well, I leave on Friday and I am taking a grinder of Himlayan salt!

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.