• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Footwear

EmoJohnson

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese coastal way (2017)
Camino Frances (May/June 2018)
Hello fellow pilgrims!

I'm embarking on my first Camino in May (gasp! Delight! Next month!) I was given Merrill hiking shoes and am now considering alternate footwear. Although I'll be walking Porto to Santiago, less km-commitment than Camino Frances, I want an alternate shoe.

I've been told Hoka One Ones and Keen Whisper sandals are terrific. Does anyone have a preference or strong feeling about footwear?

Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Personally, sandals do not provide enough support for me; a sideways angle causes too much stress on my ankles. Heavy boots are generally overkill, though that is what I use these days. I suggest that you walk extensively over varied terrain in the sandals with your backpack before you decide. The wrong place to discover that sandals do not work for you would be on the Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nobody can help you that much with this, you really need to find out what works for you. We are all different, wide feet, narrow feet, bunions, high arches, flat feet, hallux rigidus, mortons neuroma... on and on. You need to find out what works for you. I don't know where you live, but in US can buy from REI and return things that don't work out for you. Don't know about other countries.

I found the Merrell's soul too soft for the very gravelly bits on the Camino Frances and have switched back to boots backed up by Keen trekking sandals but I have met someone who walked from Russia and swore by trekking sandals. This is such a difficult decision, its best to go with your gut instinct about what works best for you.

As alluded to above the solution that works for YOU is the one that is best. However, there are several things to consider.

1. Every uphill climb has a downhill stretch, Some of them have a lot of loose scree or mud.

- Will your choice of footwear keep this crud out of your footwear, and prevent it from getting under your feet or elsewhere, where it can rub and cause wounding?

- Does the toe box of your closed toe footwear have enough space to prevent the front of your toes from slamming or rubbing against the inside front of the shoe, boot or sandals on downhill stretches?

2. Does your footwear choice, including size, have enough space to wear TWO pair of socks (thin, wicking, inner liner and thick outer for cushioning)?

3. After you walk in the heat all day, does your choice of footwear allow for swelling, in addition to the two pair of socks?

4. If you are prone to this effect, after walking with 10 or more Kg on your back for a month or more, do your feet get larger, even temporarily (mine do)?

The bottom line is that the shoes you were gifted, if comfortable around town with a single pair of perhaps cotton socks, will NOT be roomy enough for the Camino for the reasons poised above.

Also, the debate between wearing boots, versus shoes, versus sandals is similarly highly personal. However, consider that the Camino is perhaps the ONE activity where you CAN wear socks with sandals and not be criticized for your lack of fashion sense.

Function and healthy practice rule! Fashion and style are self-defeating. You are not on fashion parade, and you have nothing to prove. The goal is to arrive at Sanitago from your Camino in good spirits and not having suffered serious foot problems.

Many veterans on the Forum, myself included, beg anyone to test fit shoes:

1. In a shop with a sales person who knows what they are doing, and perhaps is an accomplished hiker themselves.

2. Wearing the exact socks you plan to wear on Camino.

3. After you have been on your feet all day to simulate the swelling effect.

Following this guidance will result in a better Camino experience, with fewer foot problems.

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As alluded to above the solution that works for YOU is the one that is best. However, there are several things to consider.

1. Every uphill climb has a downhill stretch, Some of them have a lot of loose scree or mud.

- Will your choice of footwear keep this crud out of your footwear, and prevent it from getting under your feet or elsewhere, where it can rub and cause wounding?

- Does the toe box of your closed toe footwear have enough space to prevent the front of your toes from slamming or rubbing against the inside front of the shoe, boot or sandals on downhill stretches?

2. Does your footwear choice, including size, have enough space to wear TWO pair of socks (thin, wicking, inner liner and thick outer for cushioning)?

3. After you walk in the heat all day, does your choice of footwear allow for swelling, in addition to the two pair of socks?

4. If you are prone to this effect, after walking with 10 or more Kg on your back for a month or more, do your feet get larger, even temporarily (mine do)?

The bottom line is that the shoes you were gifted, if comfortable around town with a single pair of perhaps cotton socks, will NOT be roomy enough for the Camino for the reasons poised above.

Also, the debate between wearing boots, versus shoes, versus sandals is similarly highly personal. However, consider that the Camino is perhaps the ONE activity where you CAN wear socks with sandals and not be criticized for your lack of fashion sense.

Function and healthy practice rule! Fashion and style are self-defeating. You are not on fashion parade, and you have nothing to prove. The goal is to arrive at Sanitago from your Camino in good spirits and not having suffered serious foot problems.

1. In a shop with a sales person who knows what they are doing, and perhaps is an accomplished hiker themselves.

Following this guidance will result in a better Camino experience, with fewer foot problems.

I hope this helps.[/QUOTON
Wonderfully helpful advice! Thank you so much! I hope other pilgrims benefit from this as much as I have.

Hello fellow pilgrims!

I'm embarking on my first Camino in May (gasp! Delight! Next month!) I was given Merrill hiking shoes and am now considering alternate footwear. Although I'll be walking Porto to Santiago, less km-commitment than Camino Frances, I want an alternate shoe.

I've been told Hoka One Ones and Keen Whisper sandals are terrific. Does anyone have a preference or strong feeling about footwear?

Thanks!
I used Vasque boots purchased at REI, wore out one pair of soles and had them re-soled prior to the camino. They were as comfortable as slippers by then. I have since bought a second pair for my next Camino. The only thing I recommend more than these boots and a good break in is to spend a lot of time in the boot store with a professional fitter to help select the right footwear for you.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I never understand why anyone would walk a long distance on variable terrain in anything except hiking boots. Boots support your ankles, cushion your (10's of thousands of) steps and protect your feet and keep them dry (if waterproof). I found a model of Keen boots that work for me (Targhee II) and I buy a new pair every couple of years. I am on my fourth pair. They worked great for both the Portugues and Via de la Plata. I carry Keen sandals for evening wear. I wear mid-weight smartwool hiking socks and have never gotten a blister (I break my boots in carefully before depending on them).

I wore Hoka One One's on my most recent Camino Portuguese. I absolutely highly recommend them and when I walk future Camino's they will most certainly be walked in Hoka One. One's!

I never understand why anyone would walk a long distance on variable terrain in anything except hiking boots. Boots support your ankles, cushion your (10's of thousands of) steps and protect your feet and keep them dry (if waterproof). I found a model of Keen boots that work for me (Targhee II) and I buy a new pair every couple of years. I am on my fourth pair. They worked great for both the Portugues and Via de la Plata. I carry Keen sandals for evening wear. I wear mid-weight smartwool hiking socks and have never gotten a blister (I break my boots in carefully before depending on them).
Well, apparently there are plenty of good reasons not to wear boots.

http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots

https://thetrek.co/footwear-thru-hikers-appalachian-trail/

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/ask-a-thru-hiker-should-i-hike-in-boots-or-trail-runners

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ah, this is one of those perennial topics on which we will never get consensus ! Information, and personal experience, is useful, preaching is not. There is a fine line, because, of course, what I say is Useful Information. Anyone who takes a contrary view is preaching..... :cool:

Hello fellow pilgrims!

I'm embarking on my first Camino in May (gasp! Delight! Next month!)

Maybe order a whole bunch of shoes/boots to try on from Zappos.com? At least in the US, there are free returns.

I wore Hoka One One's on my most recent Camino Portuguese. I absolutely highly recommend them and when I walk future Camino's they will most certainly be walked in Hoka One. One's!

Did you have a back up shoe? At the encouragement of you and several pilgrims I purchased Hoka One Ones (Challenger ATR 3) tonight -- they are incredible! I had also Keen Whispers on hold, thinking they were discounted, but at the REI register they came to around $90 which feels prohibitive after spending $130 on Hoka's. Wondering now if I truly require a 2nd shoe. Any thoughts?

Thank you!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nobody can help you that much with this, you really need to find out what works for you. We are all different, wide feet, narrow feet, bunions, high arches, flat feet, hallux rigidus, mortons neuroma... on and on. You need to find out what works for you. I don't know where you live, but in US can buy from REI and return things that don't work out for you. Don't know about other countries.
I live in NYC and just purchased Hoka One Ones; I'll give them a trial run. They are currently feeling like pillows to my city weary feet.

Did you have a back up shoe? At the encouragement of you and several pilgrims I purchased Hoka One Ones (Challenger ATR 3) tonight -- they are incredible! I had also Keen Whispers on hold, thinking they were discounted, but at the REI register they came to around $90 which feels prohibitive after spending $130 on Hoka's. Wondering now if I truly require a 2nd shoe. Any thoughts?

Thank you!!
I walked Porto to santiago last May in HOO Bondi 3s and loved them. But the plan was to walk a much longer distance this spring, and the porous HOO sole would simply not have lasted that long, so my Salomons were invited. Oh how I missed my HOO. Never again will I walk without them.

As for a second pair, yes, you need one, sincw walking shoes are left by the door and you will want something to go to the shower with, and perhaps also walk around town in. Crocs work, as do EVA Birkenstocks.

I walked Porto to santiago last May in HOO Bondi 3s and loved them. But the plan was to walk a much longer distance this spring, and the porous HOO sole would simply not have lasted that long, so my Salomons were invited. Oh how I missed my HOO. Never again will I walk without them.

As for a second pair, yes, you need one, sincw walking shoes are left by the door and you will want something to go to the shower with, and perhaps also walk around town in. Crocs work, as do EVA Birkenstocks.
Interesting! I will look into Hoo. I was thinking of a backup walking shoe and flip flops for the shower. I suspect a walking sandal would allow my feet to breathe a bit (although I'll likely wear socks the entire time). Footwear discussion could be endless! Thank you.
Porto to Santiago last May? How wonderful. I'll be taking the Seashore Path out of Porto and then Caminho da Costa. Terrain should be fine for these Hokas, I'm thinking.

Interesting! I will look into Hoo. I was thinking of a backup walking shoe and flip flops for the shower. I suspect a walking sandal would allow my feet to breathe a bit (although I'll likely wear socks the entire time). Footwear discussion could be endless! Thank you.
Porto to Santiago last May? How wonderful. I'll be taking the Seashore Path out of Porto and then Caminho da Costa. Terrain should be fine for these Hokas, I'm thinking.
Yes, it's a short Camino, your HOO will last long enough for that route. And I would not bother with a second pair of walking shoes. Push comes to shove I have walked in Crocs and Brikies sandals.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thank you!!

I used Teva sandles as my evening shoe. I often wore my Hokas in the evening also, loosely tied, if it was raining.

I used Teva sandles as my evening shoe. I often wore my Hokas in the evening also, loosely tied, if it was raining.
GOOD to know! Did your Hokas last past your camino?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I hope this helps.
INCREDIBLY useful and something I keep referencing. Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.