• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Forum collision on the Portuguese

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués Porto'17,Lisbon'18
Inglés A Coruña y Ferrol '18
Invierno'19
Camino Portuguese Pontevedra to A Armenteira Variante Espiritual May 1,2023

Hello fellow pilgrims,
I was fortunate to walk the Camino de Inverno in February of this year. I kept a daily log here on the forum and of all the many people that cheered me on one stood out Aymarah @El Cascayal. She was do supportive especially when I fell.
So she is walking the Variente espíritu al with her best friend, since she sent me her itinerary and at the last minute a concert of mine got canceled I decided to plan a surprise collision.
My son and I took the 7am train from A Coruña to Pontevedra and headed out. Just when I thought she must be behind me, I saw a women in blue shorts and said to my son 'I think that might be her' and it was. How fun to surprise her on the trail. We have never met, that is the power of our forum, thanks Ivar!!
The walk was just wonderful a little too hot for me but we climbed the hill getting to know eachother in person so the time flew by. We have enjoyed the day tremendously.
I'll try to check in, just 3 days for us. I'll enjoy every minute with my newest friend!!
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen

IMG_0351.jpegIMG_0355.jpegIMG_0360.jpegIMG_0363.jpegIMG_0367.jpegee798f15-3046-4f23-8c02-b7baecebf314.jpeg6cf44401-2fa2-4430-8cd2-679e7ea9a577.jpegbcc5d21e-8302-4f1c-958f-ce15baf66068.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Struggling up the hill at high noon in intense heat and humidity, I heard poles on the asphalt and English and my name. What an incredible Surprise to meet my dear Invierno Peregrina friend and her son. What a truly joyous event with the kms flying by. We are a large extended family that loves to meet on the Camino. Happy happy Day! The descent into Armenteira was over wet forest paths with intertwined tree trunks and very steep. I hit my foot did some acrobatics in the air, said the “F” word very spontaneously and loudly and landed on 2 poles and 2 feet with an expert block by Mary Ellen, who is my NFL first draft pick and who has now saved our Camino twice. Once telling us to get on a bus before the strike and this above. I’ll add pictures later, it’s almost lights out in the Albergue.😂
Ok here goes one with my tiny drone and Mary Ellen & me wearing our schmattas in front of Mosteiro de Armenteira.

B5775837-B221-4957-BEDB-0203F22BA15F.jpeg
View attachment IMG_2067.MOV57D9FA40-B8A1-434B-B5DF-77E83C877B5D.jpeg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I met forum friend @sarahchicago in Santiago but we forgot to get a pic!! We were both on the Portuguese Central the same time but a couple days apart.
Lovely meeting you, @lovelyshell and I hope you are feeling better! I can’t believe we didn’t get a pic together 🤪. *next time* we will! and thank you again for all your tips as you discovered things a day or two ahead of me.

Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa

Hello all,
I must say that the first part of today's walk has redefined the words stunningly gorgeous. The locals call it 'la ruta de la piedra y del agua' I can not recommend it enough, when I sent pictures to my best friend in Oregon she exclaimed 'it looks like Oregon and I agree, it reminded me of my camp fire girl days at Camp Namanu near Sandy. However.....the second part of the day, and more then half, is a bit of a slog until you get to the sea. And today we got to the 80's F so it was a scorcher 0% shade. But it was a lovely lovely day, I spent time walking with Cecilia while my son ran ahead at his crazy pace. I can see why she is Aymarah's best friend. I'm so glad we came to meet the two of them. I'll let the pictures do the talking!!
Buen camino!!
MaryEllen

IMG_0388.jpegIMG_0392.jpegIMG_0395.jpegIMG_0396.jpegIMG_0399.jpegIMG_0401.jpegIMG_0406.jpegIMG_0410.jpegIMG_0415.jpegIMG_0423.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To say that this was one of my best days ever on any Camino is an understatement. As Mary Ellen says above, this etapa Reina de La Variante Espiritual is stunning and absolutely gorgeously breathtaking. I would do it again and again. The scorcher was hitting the beach after noon. Death march in The Valley, red all over. Got some pics and a video. Guys this stage is so worth it!!!

IMG_2106.jpegIMG_2101.jpegIMG_2100.jpeg
View attachment IMG_2097.movIMG_2075.jpegIMG_2072.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Vilanova de Arousal to Santiago

Hello again,
I'm on the train home trying to decide if 3 days on camino feel like a camino..... Y yes and no, but more yes then no. Having met and walked with Aymarah and Cecilia makes it so.
We caught the boat at 7am lovely ride with 30 pilgrims, things are busy busy and the locals are happy they are starting to dig out of the pandemic years. We walked to Padrón together and had a coffee, then it was time to say 'see you later' I know I will be with these two shining stars again.
The walk was hot and we have done it twice before so I forgot to take many pictures, Aymarah!! I'm passing the thread to you, let everyone know how it ends...I miss and love you two!!
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen

IMG_0455.jpegIMG_0463.jpegIMG_0464.jpegd40158e9-8b47-44ec-9fce-c6d64e2942d2.jpegIMG_0468.jpegIMG_0470.jpeg1FF993D3-286E-4F1D-8614-6D4D046EEFA7.jpegIMG_0478.jpeg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Aymarah!! I'm passing the thread to you, let everyone know how it ends...
Mary Ellen, when is a Camino not a Camino? This was a very special and moving Camino for me. You and Arlinn appearing behind me at 2 pm in the blistering 🥵heat, was a Camino and Life Gift. It was great and so short at the same time, like all Caminos, a beginning, a new found deep friendship. Makes my heart glad! Cecilia is hooked and has joined the Forum. I took some pics, though not too many. I had ice under my hat, and ice water on my Mafalda neck gaiter. Love you guys!

Attachments

• IMG_2147.jpeg
    IMG_2147.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2149.jpeg
    IMG_2149.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2161.jpeg
    IMG_2161.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2176.jpeg
    IMG_2176.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2186.jpeg
    IMG_2186.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2198.jpeg
    IMG_2198.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2210.jpeg
    IMG_2210.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2214.jpeg
    IMG_2214.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2228.jpeg
    IMG_2228.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2240.jpeg
    IMG_2240.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 26
Mary Ellen, challenge accepted. We arrived today to drizzling overcast skies that turned into a full blown downpour storm shower. Leaving our Albergue we met 4 Ukrainian Peregrinas who now live in 4 different European countries.
The Catedral in the mist. Out of no where in the woods a mural of Portico de la Gloria. Wow!
We went through parque de la Alameda to visit the sisters and then on to Obradoiro where the sun peeked out.
Noon Mass and to my SURPRISE, the Botafumeiro flew! I was overcome with emotion. Video included, if anyone wants to see it.
Ran into Jennysa, checking in to SMP. WOW!
Tonight, birthday celebration at Casa Manolo.
May the 4th be with you.

Attachments

• IMG_2358.jpeg
    IMG_2358.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2338.jpeg
    IMG_2338.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2289.jpeg
    IMG_2289.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2275.jpeg
    IMG_2275.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2283.jpeg
    IMG_2283.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ok, so today was the last day in Santiago. I spent the day wandering around and saying bye to old friends. We took the 1:30 bus to Boquexion Bar Rosende/ Albergue Reina Lupa on the VDLP/Invierno to visit Carmiña & Bruno when sneaky Mary Ellen surprised us again and brought her husband Steve! Yeayyyyyyy!!! What a great afternoon. Steve drove us to Pico Sacro. Windy as ever and gorgeous views. They then dropped us back at Praza de Galicia and we worked our way to one last Estrella de Galicia followed by chocolate con churros overlooking Praza da Quintana da Vivos. One more look at La Berenguela/Torre del Reloj and back to SMP to pack, shower, sleep and early rise and shine.
Mary Ellen, the ball is in your court.

Attachments

• IMG_2446.jpeg
    IMG_2446.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2449.jpeg
    IMG_2449.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2443.jpeg
    IMG_2443.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2441.jpeg
    IMG_2441.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2435.jpeg
    IMG_2435.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2431.jpeg
    IMG_2431.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2452.jpeg
    IMG_2452.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Random thoughts
Hello all
Aymarah passed the ball and I've been dribbling for a day....writing is not easy for me and what started as a simple 3 day meet up has changed me more then the longest of caminos, it takes thought to understand and convey. I'll try....
I've been thinking about the question we all get 'why walk' 'what makes a pilgrim' I think we are all pilgrims, we are 'seekers' 'discoverers' I hope that what I am in the process of shedding is judgement. I don't really have a reason 'why' I walk, It is the act of walking that transforms.
Meeting Aymarah and Cecilia has changed me, helped me, I am forever grateful for this. Thank you.....no words really...
Buen camino,
MaryEllen
80a658ab-77ec-4122-8de2-bddd7d2b8f0d.jpegf488d1de-bee8-4111-9eec-37fab8957773.jpegIMG_0506.jpegIMG_0507.jpegIMG_0509.jpegIMG_0505.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lovely, MaryEllen! "I hope that what I am in the process of shedding is judgement." Perfect wording! "I don't really have a reason 'why' I walk, it is the act of walking that transforms." Absolutely the best! May I quote you somewhere?? ♥️♥️👨‍❤️‍👨

Lovely, MaryEllen! "I hope that what I am in the process of shedding is judgement." Perfect wording! "I don't really have a reason 'why' I walk, it is the act of walking that transforms." Absolutely the best! May I quote you somewhere?? ♥️♥️👨‍❤️‍👨
Of course Elle!! Here's hoping we have collision one day!!
MaryEllen

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back