• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frances (Partial) vs Portugues in October

goneboating

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 23
Hello! I am planning my first Camino in mid October for ~15 days (unfortunately constrained due to commitments) and am in two minds on doing the Frances 'partially' starting at Leon/Astorga or the Portugues from Porto. Seeking help from this lovely community.

Here are the factors I'm weighing and initial findings:

More important factors to me

Community - favours Frances?
The communal experience with fellow pilgrims is critical for me. Do hope to connect with others who are taking a similar journey. I know Frances is best for this, and wonder if Portugues might be a little empty in October

Length/Completion - favours Portugues?
Given the unfortunately short time window, walking the Portugues will allow me to 'complete' one generally accepted route. Am concerned that if I walk the Frances from Leon/Astorga, I'll regret not having gone for a fuller experience.

Weather - tie up?
Understand it starts to get rainy this time of the year, and Portugues may be slightly rainier but not very different. Appreciate corrections if this is incorrect.

Less important factors to me

Albergues - favours Frances?
Availability is always a plus. Understand Frances has more Albergues, but Portugues also has suffficient numbers. Mid October should hopefully also have lower volumes beyond bed rush.

Infrastructure - favours Frances?
Understand Frances has less road walking and generally more built up infrasturcture

Non-factors

Cost
Coming from far away, so likely similar either way! Need to get ready to pay to get there.

Physical effort
OK for the challenge either way, hopefully no issues given the short timeframe!

Given this, I slightly favour going for the partial Frances at the moment, but I am very mixed on this. Would really appreciate any views from the community! Many many thanks

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Given the unfortunately short time window, walking the Portugues will allow me to 'complete' one generally accepted route.
Starting the Camino Frances in Leon or Astorga is no more or less a "complete" journey than walking the Camino Portugues from Porto. All three places are part way along their respective routes. Personally I would consider any walk from my chosen start point to Santiago as "complete". I've always considered the recognised routes as a convenience for pilgrims to follow if they wish rather than an obligation or restriction.

While I agree with Bradypus that any starting point is arbitrary (except, perhaps, your front door), I do think there is much more of a sense of "starting in the middle" with joining the Frances in Leon or Astorga vs joining the Portugues in Porto. That's because such a high percentage of pilgrims start in Porto. Starting in Porto instead of Lisbon is like starting in St. Jean Pied de Port instead of Le Puy, numbers wise.

I found there was a fair amount of community on the Portugues from Porto in October (although, to be fair, I walked in the first half of October). For a two week first Camino, I would lean towards the Portugues from Porto, although the Frances from Astorga is certainly not a bad option.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello! I am planning my first Camino in mid October for ~15 days (unfortunately constrained due to commitments) and am in two minds on doing the Frances 'partially' starting at Leon/Astorga or the Portugues from Porto. Seeking help from this lovely community.

Here are the factors I'm weighing and initial findings:

More important factors to me

Community - favours Frances?
The communal experience with fellow pilgrims is critical for me. Do hope to connect with others who are taking a similar journey. I know Frances is best for this, and wonder if Portugues might be a little empty in October

Length/Completion - favours Portugues?
Given the unfortunately short time window, walking the Portugues will allow me to 'complete' one generally accepted route. Am concerned that if I walk the Frances from Leon/Astorga, I'll regret not having gone for a fuller experience.

Weather - tie up?
Understand it starts to get rainy this time of the year, and Portugues may be slightly rainier but not very different. Appreciate corrections if this is incorrect.

Less important factors to me

Albergues - favours Frances?
Availability is always a plus. Understand Frances has more Albergues, but Portugues also has suffficient numbers. Mid October should hopefully also have lower volumes beyond bed rush.

Infrastructure - favours Frances?
Understand Frances has less road walking and generally more built up infrasturcture

Non-factors

Cost
Coming from far away, so likely similar either way! Need to get ready to pay to get there.

Physical effort
OK for the challenge either way, hopefully no issues given the short timeframe!

Given this, I slightly favour going for the partial Frances at the moment, but I am very mixed on this. Would really appreciate any views from the community! Many many thanks
I did Porto to Santiago in 2019. I had no accommodation problems. Like most paths it has ups and downs...its hard to make comparisons.. I did notice that on the Portuguese way some of the paths are covered with small cobble stones I found that very hard on the feet, perhaps I need better boots. Many years ago there was a a lot of road walking but things have improved in recent years...

Neither route is complete or incomplete it’s an irrelevant concept. Both end in Santiago.

I’ve done both (the Frances multiple times) - go from Porto.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.