• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Francés vs Via de la Plata vs Camino de madrid

La Brique Jaune

Official member of la confradia del pinza del oro
Time of past OR future Camino
2017: SJPDP to Finisterre
2024: SJDP to ?
Hi to all,

I know comparing 3 caminos at the same time is complex, but I'm still not sure about which one to choose. I will be grateful for any inputs you can give me. I plan to do my second Camino in April - May 2024 is my only windows I have. I did the francès in 2017 during July - August, It was a great experience, the toughest moment was not the mesata or the strech of 17 km (Carrion de los Condes to Calzadilla de la Cueza) it was the 100 km last kilometers. I felt overwhelmed by the crowd and I felt the spirit of albergue or restaurants was not the same.

So I thought about the VDLP: I'm reading and watched (still do) contents by rob's Camino (thumbs up ! really like his content go watch it !). He walk the VDLP the same time as I will do my Camino and he did not encounter many pilgrims. For me even I trully like the meseta (the VDLP is a long meseta) and I comfortable been alone and quite enjoy it, I realize the Camino for me is the people.

I have 2 months, minus the rest days, days lost in the transportations, the jet lags and the shock of return*. And I need to walk to Finisterre and stay 2 or 3 days. Every days are counted.

Due to this time constraints (and I'm from Canada) I thought about the Camino of Madrid. Fly to Madrid start two days after. There is a lot of pilgrims from spain on this Camino ? I learned spanish and I want to talk it with them. I think I read somewhere the pilgrims on the Camino de Madrid are very welcomed**.

And what about the scenery of those Caminos, the raining conditions and the availability of services during Easter times ?

Thanks for yours inputs.

*: Not sure how to write it in english, I mean time to acclimate my self to the real life, last time was tought.
**: Not sure how to write it in english, The spaniards we can encounter like the pilgrims and treat them very well.

La Brique.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I met five walking pilgrims when I walked the Madrid, none of them were Spanish. I started walking from Madrid in early June.

What I loved about the Madrid was my interactions with the local people. Pilgrims are rare enough to be unusual and a little exotic and on two occasions locals approached me and offered me hospitality.

Occasionally locals were blaise but never unhelpful.

The other thing that I loved was my interactions with the volunteer hospitaleros. On two occasions different Hosps were so pleased to see a pilgrim that they went way out of their way to help me and show me around.

Most of the albergues were small and often you needed to pick up a key from a local bar

I haven't walked the VDLP and so I can't compare but my guess would be that it is similar.

The downside with the official Madrid is that it joins the Camino Frances and after walking the Camino Madrid you will balk at many things on the Frances until you adjust your expectations. If you splice another less walked Camino onto the end of the Madrid then that would be great.

Hi to all,

I know comparing 3 caminos at the same time is complex, but I'm still not sure about which one to choose. I will be grateful for any inputs you can give me. I plan to do my second Camino in April - May 2024 is my only windows I have. I did the francès in 2017 during July - August, It was a great experience, the toughest moment was not the mesata or the strech of 17 km (Carrion de los Condes to Calzadilla de la Cueza) it was the 100 km last kilometers. I felt overwhelmed by the crowd and I felt the spirit of albergue or restaurants was not the same.

So I thought about the VDLP: I'm reading and watched (still do) contents by rob's Camino (thumbs up ! really like his content go watch it !). He walk the VDLP the same time as I will do my Camino and he did not encounter many pilgrims. For me even I trully like the meseta (the VDLP is a long meseta) and I comfortable been alone and quite enjoy it, I realize the Camino for me is the people.

I have 2 months, minus the rest days, days lost in the transportations, the jet lags and the shock of return*. And I need to walk to Finisterre and stay 2 or 3 days. Every days are counted.

Due to this time constraints (and I'm from Canada) I thought about the Camino of Madrid. Fly to Madrid start two days after. There is a lot of pilgrims from spain on this Camino ? I learned spanish and I want to talk it with them. I think I read somewhere the pilgrims on the Camino de Madrid are very welcomed**.

And what about the scenery of those Caminos, the raining conditions and the availability of services during Easter times ?

Thanks for yours inputs.

*: Not sure how to write it in english, I mean time to acclimate my self to the real life, last time was tought.
**: Not sure how to write it in english, The spaniards we can encounter like the pilgrims and treat them very well.

La Brique.
My wife & I plan to walk from SJPDP to Santiago at about the same time as you, starting approx. 25th April. It will be our first Camino, our only hesitation about walking the Frances is the reported over crowding. So, we are going to walk to Ponferrada then take up the Invierno. By all reports this is an pilgrimage with amazing scenery and history & although fewer services, also fewer pilgrims.
I would be interested in any discussion/ideas/advice on our plans.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I met five walking pilgrims when I walked the Madrid, none of them were Spanish. I started walking from Madrid in early June.

What I loved about the Madrid was my interactions with the local people. Pilgrims are rare enough to be unusual and a little exotic and on two occasions locals approached me and offered me hospitality.

Occasionally locals were blaise but never unhelpful.

The other thing that I loved was my interactions with the volunteer hospitaleros. On two occasions different Hosps were so pleased to see a pilgrim that they went way out of their way to help me and show me around.

Most of the albergues were small and often you needed to pick up a key from a local bar

I haven't walked the VDLP and so I can't compare but my guess would be that it is similar.

The downside with the official Madrid is that it joins the Camino Frances and after walking the Camino Madrid you will balk at many things on the Frances until you adjust your expectations. If you splice another less walked Camino onto the end of the Madrid then that would be great.
Doug, what year did you walk the Madrid in June?

My wife & I plan to walk from SJPDP to Santiago at about the same time as you, starting approx. 25th April. It will be our first Camino, our only hesitation about walking the Frances is the reported over crowding. So, we are going to walk to Ponferrada then take up the Invierno. By all reports this is an pilgrimage with amazing scenery and history & although fewer services, also fewer pilgrims.

Hi RobandMer,

About the crowds on the francès in April, I don't think there is a problem except maybe in first days of near sarria. Just don't follow the stages in guide books. I won't be discard the francès just for this. The francès is wonderfull for a first one, lot of services, infrastructures for pilgrims.

Thank You.

Hi DoughnutANZ,

I like the idea to join the francès in Sahagun, I will do a part of the meseta, see Leòn again. Still debating in my head.
Thank You.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Have a look at this thread, particularly post #23 by a an esteemed veteran of the Forum.

Hi to all,

I know comparing 3 caminos at the same time is complex,

La Brique.
Here's something to consider. (I did this on my bike in 2018). Take the Camino de Madrid as far as Puente de Duero, (or Valladolid). then follow the Ruta del Duero to Zamora, and from there the Camino Sanabres. A lovely journey.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The VdlP was my first camino. I started from Malaga early April 2008 and arrived SdC around 15 May. I continued to Fisterra with two friends and wound up at a literary festival in Coruna.

Before going, I was advised to achieve survival level Spanish. I did this by attending a 4 week intensive course in Granada. It was good enough. Today, perhaps an online course would suffice.

Since then I expect a lot has changed as far as pilgrim infrastructure is concerned. Probably much better. Even if it hasn't changed so much, I would not hesitate to recommend this camino. If you are receptive, it will sort your head out.

I was in my early 50s when I walked this one and could handle 36 km days without expiring. I don't know if such long days are still as common.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I like the idea to join the francès in Sahagun, I will do a part of the meseta, see Leòn again. Still debating in my head.
Thank You.
The issue for me when joining the Frances at Sahagún wasn't the additional number of pilgrims in itself but rather a product of the differing numbers.

After my two weeks on the Camino Madrid I had adjusted mentally to being one of the centres of attention. For some locals pilgrims are so rare that they really make a fuss of you. I was twice invited into people's homes. On other occasions, unasked, I was given special attention such as cheaper prices, a bigger, colder glass of beer and things of that sort.

None of those things have ever happened to me on the Camino Frances.

I don't "expect" to get special treatment but after a couple of weeks of it, it becomes part of the background and so when it disappears suddenly it can be a jarring difference.

After my two weeks on the Camino Madrid I had adjusted mentally to being one of the centres of attention. For some locals pilgrims are so rare that they really make a fuss of you. I was twice invited into people's homes. On other occasions, unasked, I was given special attention such as cheaper prices, a bigger, colder glass of beer and things of that sort.
Sounds very like my first Camino Frances. Being invited to sit with a family or group of friends in a restaurant several times. Bar staff sometimes refusing to accept payment for a drink or a meal. In most villages or towns someone would stop me in the street for a brief chat, a handshake and a "Buen Camino!". An elderly lady climbing on to a rickety chair to pick grapes for me from an overhead trellis. Something that is sustainable when pilgrims are a rare and exotic species but not when 300+ tramp through your village every day in peak season. The novelty wore off a long time ago.

Last edited:
Hi to all,

Thanks for yours inputs.

La Brique.
I have walked all three. Walking in April May and having 2 months would suggest the VDLP as a good option for you as it is 1,000 km. It it much less crowded than Frances. A more intimate Camino, Requiring 6 weeks or so leaving you time for Finisterre. Madrid is even more solitary and only about 12 days to Sahugun and Camino Frances. A post How The Via de la Plata Is Different From Camino Frances might be of help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi to all,

Thanks for yours inputs.

La Brique.
I can't compare the VDLP since I haven't walked it. Nor can I speak to the weather in April/May or what it is like at Easter, since I walked in June. But I can say that the Camino de Madrid will give you plenty of time to walk without the company of other pilgrims. Two thirds of the time I had the albergue to myself and there were only two pilgrims I saw more than once. The other few were all on bicycles or walked much longer stages. And I can say you will have plenty of opportunities to practice your Spanish. Except for one evening with a couple of Polish pilgrims, I was exclusively speaking (and hearing) Spanish on my recent Camino de Madrid. And most of the Camino is also on the Meseta, after you cross the mountains a few days in. If you like wide open spaces and big skies, you will like the scenery. But also if you like walking through pine forests, because there is a eeasonable amount of that, too. It is also a good route if you like castles.

Camino de Madrid is, I think, significantly shorter than the VDLP, I spent 7 weeks walking (+ 2 rest days = 51 days total) for my Camino from Madrid to Finisterre and Muxía but I really took my time and went through Oviedo via the San Salvador and Primitivo. I took six days to go from Santiago to Muxía via Finisterre when you could do it in 4 if you wanted to, for example. And I spent three weeks on the Mdrid with a number of detours and some really short days when it wouldn't be a problem to do it in two weeks from Madrid to Sahagun. So, if you want to take your time, you can.

Doing the Madrid doesn't necessarily avoid the situation you encountered after Sarria, though, because the Madrid as I mentioned, joins the Camino Frances in Sahagún. To avoid those crowds, I would advise stopping "between stages". When I joined the Frances in Melide, instead of stopping in Arzúa and O Pedrouzo, I stopped in Salceda and Lavacolla and I had plenty of solitude on my walks in those last 50 km, even though I was walking in the busiest time of year (late July). Alternatively, you could divert to the Invierno from Ponferrada. VDLP would avoid the last 100 km on the Frances.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For me even I trully like the meseta (the VDLP is a long meseta) and I comfortable been alone and quite enjoy it, I realize the Camino for me is the people.

First thing I would say is that April-May is the sweet spot for both the Vdlp and the Camino de Madrid. If the drought conditions do not continue to ravage Spain, you should get a spectacular display of wildflowers.

I haven’t seen @Robo’s videos of his Vdlp, but in my experience the Vdlp in that time frame has a pretty good sized contingent of walkers. Not a crowd, certainly, but there were always people in the albergues, people you would meet along the way, etc. On the Madrid, as others have said, there are unlikely to be many/any others walking, but interactions with those living along the way may fill the solitude if you want company.

the VDLP is a long meseta)
I don’t think that’s quite right. The long stretch through Extremadura is called the dehesa — wikipedia has a good definition, though I don’t have a good English word for it. Though it is flat, in spring it is filled with wetlands, with streams and flowers. It has huge boulders and holm oak and tons of those bushes with white flowers - jara, I think they are called. I also love the meseta, but I think you will find this is very different.

Looking at Madrid for next year and instead of going up to Frances, head off across to Zamora to connect to the Sanabres. Any thoughts on this?
I have walked both of these caminos, but never transitioned from one to the other. But here is a thread with some discussion of how to do that.

Hard to make a choice, but since you have two months, I think the Vdlp would be perfect.

Looking at Madrid for next year and instead of going up to Frances, head off across to Zamora to connect to the Sanabres. Any thoughts on this?
I guess you could turn left at Simancas and head west to Zamora, but I'm not aware of any infrastructure (way marking, albergues, etc.) to support that part of the journey.

Hi to all,

Thanks for yours inputs.

La Brique.
I've repeatedly written about the Camino Madrid on Ivar. My point is always the same: of all the caminos we have walked, this is the only one we were repeatedly embraced by villagers. Why? Perhaps because we were often the only pilgrims...or there were just a handful. And I speak Spanish.

To be sure, every camino has its cherished moments. Frances remains the classic, although when we walked it the crowds were nothing like today. For pilgrim comeraderie and spirit, we liked the Aragones. For a mixture of everything -- natural beauty, mountains, villages, pilgrim friends, culture -- our camino combo of the Salvador and Primitivo takes first prize.

Sounds like you're ready of a less traveled route. Madrid was near empty of pilgrims. You may find this not to your taste. I would probably recommend either the Aragones or the Primitivo.

P.S. I didn't mention the Portugues from Porto. In my view, this is the best camino if you are walking supported. And it seemed like almost everyone except us were traveling with only day packs. The coastal is lovely and not too crowded.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When I walked the VdlP in April/May this year I didn't meet an English speaking local after Sevilla until I reached Salamanca. There weren't many pilgrims walking the route but probably a quarter of them were Spanish so I think you'll get plenty of chances to speak Spanish.
As there aren't many pilgrims you'll most likely see the same people most nights in the albergues as there aren't that many places to stay each day.
If you choose the VdlP make sure you carry plenty of cash the couple of days either side of Salamanca, I had to rely on my emergency food because the villages on the right hand option didn't take cards and I barely had enough cash for accommodation. My birthday dinner was a can of sardines and water.
It's a great route though.

VDLP was the by the most challenging camino I've walked, mainly because I hadn't appreciated how much my 'camino family' on the Frances had looked after me previously. But as so often, when you nearly give up on something but manage to push through, you value it all the more in the end. Back in the day some called in Camino Profundo - and while it may be a bit more commercial now, I'm sure it still retains many of its rough inexplicable edges.
There's something about the changing landscapes too that makes it feel like an epic journey - from the flatlands where you see a mountain three days before you reach it, then climbing on to the high plateau criss-crossing the path of the transhumance / Cañada Real, the deep woods of Sanabria (the shock of Mercedes, Aston Martins, jewellery and elite perfumes in Puebla de Sanabria!) and the climb up (higher again) through the mountain guardians of Galicia..
La Brique, from what you say about your preferences and from the comments above I'd say it has to be the VDLP!

Hi to all,

First thanks you all for yours comments and inputs.

I'm still debating in my head. Whatever the Camino I will choosing I want to finish in Santiago (so much energy on the plaza) and I will go to Finisterre and stay there couples days.

I took some weeks to think, to write this post. By writting it I have revelations. The Francès call me because I would like to cross the pyrenees hopping the route will be open in this time of the year (beginning of April) and safe to do (last time I walked the Valcarlos Route). Also I would like to stay in Pamplona I don't really know why but I feel I need to visit the city for the memory of my grandfather and stay couples days (his favorite autor was Hemingway and probably mine too). Few days ago I realized it will be possible to fill the belly with really good food (tapas/pinchos) and vino tinto in some biggest cities.

Camino de Madrid call me: Starting from a main city with an International Airport (I'm from Canada) and stay 2-3 days enjoying tapas and good food. Also I was supposed to visit the city but it's been canceled in april 2020. On the Camino itself: to be welcommed by locals and about 2 weeks of real solitude. Also rejoins the Francès where it is possible to join a community / people wishing I will be able the connect with new friends. Also, less time lost in the transports by starting in Madrid.

VDLP Call me: I think is the solitude, the opportunity to go deeper and the challenge of making such a long Camino.

For now I don't know what I looking for next Camino. I feel quite strange because I know the biggest emotions (bad and good) I had on my first Camino was because I was alone and I cherish NOW all thoses emotions/moments because I learned of thoses, cliché but deeply true. I also know for myself the people are the Camino. I'm not in same the state of mine I was on my first Camino but I know I want to do one more...one more and again. So what I need ? a long Camino with myself or a Camino where I can meet people ? I'm also confuse because on every camino I know will learn something / change myself even if the route is difficult. So It's really matters ? Difficult decision but I have some time to decide.

Hi RobandMer,

On my First Camino (my only one) I walked the francès during July-August. I did not feel the Camino was overcrowded or suffer of it (until the 100 km). In my opinion the Francès is perfect for a first one, a lot of infrastructures, villages farmacias, distances between villages.....etc. I really appreciate the scenery will see on francès and it changes between regions.

About the Invierno: Of course I don't know nothing about you but I felt 1-2 weeks I felt I was a pro. Meaning by that I know basically everything about my feet how far I can walk and how I walk, my blisters...etc. By starting in SJPDP you will know and understand so much things as you arrive be in Ponferrada. If you start in SJPDP do your Camino and few days before Ponferrada think about it. Do you go on The invierno or continue on the francès ? The Camino will guide you. In my humble opinion is really too soon to think about it, focus on others aspects. Maybe I write it for myself but here is goes: A camino may be not perfect but in my experience you will learn something and you realize it after (can be years).

La Brique

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My fav is the VDLP. Have walked from Seville three times in April and it is the perfect time with just the right amount of pilgrims.. Imo..
Great will do it in 2024 :)

I did the Camino Madrid this year and loved the balance of solitude during the walk in the day and meeting up a trickle amount of pilgrims in the evening. So i guess VDLP would be the next one to take next year. I've already completed the main caminos - Frances, Norte, Primativo, Portugues from Lisbon, San salvador, finistere/muxia, Madrid and Ingles too

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
About how many pilgrims would be just the right amount?
I like to walk alone during the day but enough to meet up at cafes and to have dinner with in the evenings.
You lose some and gain some in the 6 weeks but in Salamanca there was a good gathering and then on the Sanabrese a bunch of us who started in Seville were still in tune to Santiago. Perfecto!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back