• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

French for Pelgrims

Gwaihir

Time of past OR future Camino
2019: Nijmegen-Fisterra
2022: Trans-European Trail
Hi Pelerins,

My camino goes through Belgium and France. Countries where they speak... french.
My french is very limited (the standard "bonjour, je me apelle" and some words we use in Dutch).

I think I can learn how to ask for things, like for example whether I can stay somewhere for the night. However I´m not so sure I can understand their ANSWER.

So I was wondering what common questions and answers are, that you might encounter as a pélerin.

Sidenote:

I speak Spanish, so if anybody wants the favor returned, just ask!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You might want to ask them to speak slowly, as you don’t speak much French:

« Je ne parle pas beaucoup de français, mais si vous parlez lentment, je vous comprendrai »

(I claim ownership of all errors in my French. You can’t have them, but you’re welcome to improve on this. ;-) )

Hi Pelerins,

My camino goes through Belgium and France. Countries where they speak... french.
My french is very limited (the standard "bonjour, je me apelle" and some words we use in Dutch).

I think I can learn how to ask for things, like for example whether I can stay somewhere for the night. However I´m not so sure I can understand their ANSWER.

So I was wondering what common questions and answers are, that you might encounter as a pélerin.

Sidenote:

I speak Spanish, so if anybody wants the favor returned, just ask!

Try the free lesson on this website. https://www.pimsleur.com/learn-french?autoplay=true You will learn enough to make it over the initial I don’t understand French but I am trying do you speak .. hump with confidence (and sounding like Gerard Depardieu in his glory days if you mimic the male speaker’s accent). If you register they will send you a discounted offer for 10 lessons. Moons ago I purchased the full course on cassette (many moons) prior to a solo vacation in Paris. I only studied 10 or so lessons (several on the plane then one per day while there). My first half day in Paris I actually had the conversation in the first (free) lesson almost verbatim. The French are required to take 6 years of English in school. If you try, they will try. As an aside, several years later while working in France our company’s contracted French teacher told me that whenever I used phrases I learned in that course’s lessons, my accent was perfect. I remember the lessons even still. My cassette player & the tapes melted years ago 🙃 It doesn't matter if you don’t understand their response. Everything will sort itself out in the end. I also has a few pages of the Berlitz pocket guide, just 2 pages that translate menu items. Big help.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You might want to ask them to speak slowly, as you don’t speak much French:

« Je ne parle pas beaucoup de français, mais si vous parlez lentment, je vous comprendrai »

(I claim ownership of all errors in my French. You can’t have them, but you’re welcome to improve on this. ;-) )
Or simply, “Lentement, s’il vous plait.”

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back