• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Future Pilgrims....

MassNative

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept-Nov 2022 CF
Hello/Bonjour/Hola!

I am Jim from Worcester Massachusetts in the USA.

My wife (Susan) and I plan to walk the Camino Frances when we retire sometime over the next couple of years. I am currently 63 years old. My wife will retire when I do, and we will kick off retirement with a pilgrimage!

We've been wanting to do this for some years now. I think the earliest we would go is the Fall of 2021.

But whenever we get to do our walk, I've been thinking more about planning and preparation. I found Ivar's site as part of my research. I've been lurking for a few weeks and following along the forum discussions. So I thought I would do a Pilgrim Introduction.

I have been greatly enjoying the posts on this forum. Very helpful and encouraging!

Jim

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the forum.
Buen Camino!!

Hello/Bonjour/Hola!

My wife (Susan) and I plan to walk the Camino Frances when we retire sometime over the next couple of years. I am currently 63 years old. My wife will retire when I do, and we will kick off retirement with a pilgrimage!

We've been wanting to do this for some years now. I think the earliest we would go is the Fall of 2021.

But whenever we get to do our walk, I've been thinking more about planning and preparation. I found Ivar's site as part of my research. I've been lurking for a few weeks and following along the forum discussions. So I thought I would do a Pilgrim Introduction.

I have been greatly enjoying the posts on this forum. Very helpful and encouraging!

Jim

Hello, Jim, and a warm welcome to the Forum. :)

Here is a link which also may be of help as you begin: American Pilgrims on Camino's FAQs about a camino pilgrimage

The good news is, you are in a forum with a wonderful group of people. Most are here to help people like you to achieve their pilgrimage goals. We can offer you encouragement, knowledge, and point you in the direction that will help you help yourself.

My suggestion to start is this:
  1. Take a deep breath. Write down in large letters the reasons why you want to go on Camino. Place that piece of paper where you can see it every day. That way, if anxieties and fears threaten to overwhelm you as you plan, you can just breath, read what you have written, and focus on those reasons until the negative stuff fades.
  2. Make a list of questions and concerns that you have.
  3. Go to the Search Engine at the top of the Forum pages.
  4. Enter the words or phrase that you want more information about. You will get a huge amount of information to explore.
  5. If you find that you need help with anything, post a new thread so that your question or concern can be readily seen. If you post a question within someone else's thread, you won't receive as big of a response.
  6. Remember that perfect timing as it relates to how you feel, scheduling, and day to day life issues, seldom align themselves perfectly. If one waits for such to occur, doing something like a pilgrimage will always be in danger of taking a back seat while you wait for that perfect alignment to happen.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think the earliest we would go is the Fall of 2021.

If you've been reading a few threads around here, you might have seen that some people are already a little bit anxious about the Holy Year in 2021, when pilgrim numbers are expected to soar to unprecedented levels, especially on the Camino Francés. Spring or fall 2022 would likely offer a less stressful experience if you don't mind waiting a bit longer. Buen camino in any case.

If you've been reading a few threads around here, you might have seen that some people are already a little bit anxious about the Holy Year in 2021, when pilgrim numbers are expected to soar to unprecedented levels, especially on the Camino Francés. Spring or fall 2022 would likely offer a less stressful experience if you don't mind waiting a bit longer. Buen camino in any case.

I had seen that 2021 was a Holy Year, but missed that people are anxious about crowds. I guess I thought that after July 25th it wouldn't be an issue.

But as I said, I think that is the earliest we could go, 2022 may be more likely anyway.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jim

The Holy Year will be the entire year of 2021 and post-July is actually a VERY busy time on the Camino! As you are discovering, there is a lot to learn and this site and it’s members are a FANTASTIC resource!

You have already started your Camino by deciding to go, researching, and planning. Start your training walking today and you’ll be pleasantly prepared for Spring 2022!

Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello/Bonjour/Hola!

Jim
Welcome to the best resource for the Camino.

I am Alex from Norway and I am a Caminoholic.

You have already started your Camino by deciding to go, researching, and planning.
Indeed.

I may see you in Santiago in July 2021, as I will not be walking, but instead working in the Pilgrims Office once again, due to the expected overflow of pilgrims in that Holy Year. They will need helpers.

Last edited:
Hello/Bonjour/Hola!

Jim
Welcome Jim! Enjoy your planning. The Camino is an experience of a lifetime so much so that many of us spend the rest of their lifetime experiencing it again and again. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back