• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gaiters in late April & May walking the Camino.

JP

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 & 2017
Camino Portuguese 2016
Camino Del Norte 2019.
Are Gaiters necessary in late April & May walking the Camino, because of heavy rain conditions ?

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Gaiters are useful in the rain, and April and May may be rainy. If you will use them, take them. I have generally left them in my backpack even when it has started to rain. I am too lazy to stop in the rain and put them on!

I carried gaters all the way (Apr/May 2013) but did not use them. I had convertable trousers that meant I could wash the bottoms overnight when muddy after light rains

When the rains really came I decided to purchase waterproof trousers and again did not need gaters

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took gaiters and wore them once in Apr 2010, and could have worn them a couple more times and saved on some washing. A friend who walked at the same time two years earlier wore them most days. I would take them again at that time of the year, and get them on earlier in muddy conditions.

Gaiters are intended to keep debris out of your boots. Snow, mud, and dirt. They aren't really intended to be used as raingear.

Are Gaiters necessary in late April & May walking the Camino, because of heavy rain conditions ?

As I walk Spring or Autumn and start early in the day I find gaiters pretty useful to keep off the heavy dew which can be really drenching and also frost/snow/mud. I don't really like the 'permaseal' sensation of full rain trousers and avoid putting them on when I can. My gaiters are not heavy duty but an old light (aka cheap!) pair that I can push down my leg a bit (sort of like a pair of puttees) I know you can buy shorter mid leg and ankle gaiters and may go for that option when my current gaiters give up the goat. I also have a pair of really light over trousers for when it's really coming down (also useful to sit/recline on when taking a break.) If I'm only walking for a week or so I check the forecast and, if it's static enough one way or the other, then pick either gaiters or pants. But for longer journeys I pack both.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gaiters are intended to keep debris out of your boots. Snow, mud, and dirt. They aren't really intended to be used as raingear.
That's true, but I found it useful to wear them when I needed some wind protection as well, rather than wear rain pants unless conditions got really cold.

Gaiters are a bit of overkill if you ask me. Sure, there are some areas where you'll be up to your ankles in mud, but if you've got ankle-height and above waterproof hiking boots, you shouldn't need them. Most gaiters don't breathe also. If you're wearing just hiking shoes though, the extra protection could be a sensible idea if you're prepared to wear them each day instead of adding extra weight to your backpack.

I was always against until my last Camino-when I wore them daily and am now a true convert - great against dust dirt mud they don't weigh anything noticeable easily cleaned and save your pants. Beware the paths of O'Cebreiro and Galicia my son, no, not the Jabberwock-the Camino in these areas is also used to move cattle and flocks from barn to field or field to field - the mud you see there is not always mud! You have been warned! Better on your gaiters then on your feet.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They aren't really intended to be used as raingear.
Actually, they are like umbrellas for your boots. Get the waterproof ones, and they cover parts of your boots that pant legs don't. Most are water resistant rather than waterproof, but they still shed most of the rain. Drenching rain will eventually end through the front of the boot, or soak through boot material, so gaiters are not perfect. They are just better than the alternatives. In May of this year when it rained 26 days and paths were swamps, they were invaluable.

Yes!! We walked April this year and wore them most days as the weather was dreadful! We bought Ferrino lightweight and rinsed them every night .. Really helped - but even so our boots still got wet ... Stuff them with newspaper and all will be good for next morning (prior to this I didn't even know what a gaiter was ... TRUE! I discovered them on this forum) ..was new to Camino and all the weird and wonderful "kit" .. But so glad we had them .. Hope the weather is kinder for you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nah! I walked April May this year and did not need them. It will of course depend onnthenconditionsnatbthebtime but on the Frances thebpathsbare so good that inthinkmitnwould be overkill. I walked in snow,Mari, hail and mud.

Took gaiters with me as I walked from Sevilla up to Astorga and on to Santiago this Spring. Used them only once. I agree with the comments above about gaiters being overkill. I wore fast drying pants and "waterproof" boots and had no significant problems staying dry. On a couple of days I would have to roll up my pants a few inches to minimize mud splatters, but that was all. They're one more thing I'll leave behind if I walk the Camino again.

Nah! I walked April May this year and did not need them. It will of course depend onnthenconditionsnatbthebtime but on the Frances thebpathsbare so good that inthinkmitnwould be overkill. I walked in snow,Mari, hail and mud.
Enlighten me please. Who or what is 'Mari' that you can walk in it?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did Leon to Santiago in early April 21013. Through snow, rain, mud, wind, I was so envious of those I saw with gaitors! ! Next timeI will bring them for sure- light and
don't take up space but oh so useful!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm planning on bringing gaitors - mainly because I'll be walking in March/April (so potential snow), and I can't walk long distances in high hiking boots. For some reason they hit a pressure point in my ankle and leave me feeling very uncomfortable. So low-cut boots and gaitors for me!

Would anyone be willing to share names/links to gators that you've used and are happy with? I have a pair from cross country skiing that are waterproof, strap under the boot and velcro down the sides, are these same ones you all are using? Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I must disagree. Here in the US, at least, they are indeed used as raingear. I live in the Pacific Northwest, which is one of the rainier places around, so I've had lots of opportunity to field test. The issue with ponchos (whether Altus or similar, or more standard US models such as SeaToSummit) is that they only just barely come to my knees. This leaves a very long gap (14 inches?) of unprotected, and therefore rain-drenched, trouser leg. I could wear rain pants; but they don't breathe, and so are unbearably hot for the April-October popular walking season. They are also twice (or more) the weight of gaiters. Essential equipment, in my book.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I must disagree. Here in the US, at least, they are indeed used as raingear. I live in the Pacific Northwest, which is one of the rainier places around, so I've had lots of opportunity to field test. The issue with ponchos (whether Altus or similar, or more standard US models such as SeaToSummit) is that they only just barely come to my knees. This leaves a very long gap (14 inches?) of unprotected, and therefore rain-drenched, trouser leg. I could wear rain pants; but they don't breathe, and so are unbearably hot for the April-October popular walking season. They are also twice (or more) the weight of gaiters. Essential equipment, in my book.
I wear them in the ADK and on the Florida trail as well for rain and dew protection.

http://www.rei.com/product/838678/rei-havenpass-gaiters were great for the rainy days. Lightweight, waterproof fabric and great for keeping feet dry and comfy.

Followed the link, says they are no longer available. BUT I did browse the other gaitors and they are similar or perhaps exactly the same as my skiiing gators. Mine come to just below the knee and are very lightweight. I also have purchased some rain chaps which are extremely lightweight so my plan is to do some walking in the rain and see what works for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wished that I had them this past May on the Le Puy. Walked many days through washed out paths and had to wash bottom part of muddy trousers every nite.

Well I bought Goretex Gaiters and light nylon rain pants, so I am covered for Spring rain and snow. Thanks for the advice !

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I depart SJPdP the first week of April and am now considering gaiters.
I'm mentally preparing for the possibility of snow and I think that the drier I can keep my feet, the better off I'll be.
I also want to travel as lightly as possible.
Hmmm...

As I stated earlier in this thread, gaiters are intended to keep debris out of your boots. Snow, mud, and dirt. They aren't really intended to be used as raingear.

Gaiters are a good idea if you plan to wear shorts. Otherwise long pant cuffs should be enough to keep debris out of boots.

I wore shorts and gaiters for the camino. I wore a poncho for mild rain and a raincoat under the poncho in heavier weather. The shorts and skin dry quickly once the rain stops. The rain pants never got worn and I used the thermals for only one day when it snowed near O Cebreiro (and it was too warm that way).

I kicked up lots of mud and small rocks as I walked and the gaiters were effective in keeping it out of my boots. It never got deep enough to require that I buckle them up under my boots.

My boots got soaked in squalls of sideways rain on route Napoleon; if the gaiters did much to slow the rain trickling down my legs it didn't matter as the boots got soaked from the sides.

I walked today with a group of experienced bushwalkers. Central Queensland, Australia. The women had made gatters out

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Aggghhhhh.... Out of curtain fabric that was lined with a rubber type lining. They kept the spear grass and cobblers pegs at bey, the rain of their boots and lasted forever.

We finally purchased our gaiters and have used them in rain and snow on our practice runs and they have kept us warm and dry.

Bromont01.jpg beckethiver11.jpg

Last edited:
I depart SJPdP the first week of April and am now considering gaiters. I also want to travel as lightly as possible. Hmmm...
Those are the exact ones I'm thinking of getting, but my pack is already heavy.... I'm also leaving SJPdP early April.

€46,-
I depart SJPdP the first week of April and am now considering gaiters.
I'm mentally preparing for the possibility of snow and I think that the drier I can keep my feet, the better off I'll be.
I also want to travel as lightly as possible.
Hmmm...
Do take gaiters! it will be wet and muddy, it is easier to clean the mud from your gaiters than from your shoes. And it also keeps the small stones out of your shoes.
randi

Gaiters very useful to keep dust, dirt, sand, stones getting into boots and harming your feet BUT there is no way I could wear those up to the knees jobbies, little ankle ones would do for me...I have never worn a pair on 3 Caminos but i suffer from over-heating too, they do keep heat in. If it rains and your overtrousers are over your boots? It's an individual choice. I have a very old pair I might bring with me for the April rains? VDLP>

€46,-
I started on June 1st 2013. For the first 10 days it rained every day. The mud was horrible and my biggest regret was I did not take gaiters. 10 days of wet feet, wet boots to put on every morning, not nice. Do take gaiters, even cheap ones that can be discarded would have been good enough.

If you gotta have gaiters, you can buy them in Spain.

I had a great pair of North Face waterproof gaiters I used for hiking on snowy mountain trails on the Vadiniense and San Salvador caminos -- in those conditions gaiters are indispensible. Unfortunately, a pilgrim "liberated" them, and left behind a cheapo pair. I used those in February, in monsoon conditions on the Ingles. They were useless extra weight.

If it was me, I would wait til I got to the camino and saw what the weather was doing before I took on the extra weight and expense. You can get gaiters at any outfitter shop or Corte Ingles or Decathlon sports department stores -- or often in the box of left-behind lost-and-found gear at most albergues.

€46,-
If you left Seville without gaiters where would the next town with a large store be?

Zafra, I think.
I bet dozens of people leave Seville every day without gaiters.
If you are really desperate, you can fake gaiters with garbage bags and tape... they work if the tape is good!
(wrap a length of duct tape around a pen or pencil and carry it along)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you gotta have gaiters, you can buy them in Spain.

I had a great pair of North Face waterproof gaiters I used for hiking on snowy mountain trails on the Vadiniense and San Salvador caminos -- in those conditions gaiters are indispensible. Unfortunately, a pilgrim "liberated" them, and left behind a cheapo pair. I used those in February, in monsoon conditions on the Ingles. They were useless extra weight.

If it was me, I would wait til I got to the camino and saw what the weather was doing before I took on the extra weight and expense. You can get gaiters at any outfitter shop or Corte Ingles or Decathlon sports department stores -- or often in the box of left-behind lost-and-found gear at most albergues.

Good advice, Thank you Rebekah!

If there is persistent heavy rain, puddles, mud, etc..... you will end up with wet feet at some point. Period.

Waterproof boots will not stop that eventuality. Neither will gaiters.

As others have pointed out here, gaiters are not primarily used for rain protection. Yes, if you hike in shorts and a poncho, they may stave off the boot-top drip for awhile. But it is not their primary function. They are mostly to keep snow and/or debris out of your footwear.

I hear so much stress and distress about footwear and keeping dry feet from those new to hiking - it worries me all the myths and misinformation and old hiking trends/habits that persist.

[If you are already an experienced general hiker or camino walker and you have have a boot/sock/gaiter system that you love - or if you have a medical/orthopedic need for a heavy boot system - then ignore this.]

MYTHS for newbies:
Waterproof boots & gaiters will keep your feet dry always.
Wet feet are a primary cause of blisters.
Heavy boots are necessary ankle protection. (probably for a different thread!)

When, not if, your feet get wet, if you are wearing boots, waterproof or not, they take a long time to dry. So do those merino wool sock system. You might not get wet feet as often, but when they are wet - they stay wet much longer.

It is not wet feet that cause blisters. Heavy or ill-fitting footwear, inadequate foot care and maintenance, and not listening to your body/feet with regards to pace and distance cause blisters. Persistently wet socks and boots may exacerbate the problem.

Being OK with walking with wet feet - given the appropriate quick-drying foot system like a single layer synthetic sock and a mesh top trail runner - is liberating.

By the way, I do wear gaiters occasionally on dusty, rocky trails and such - but not for rain protection. These are great for debris protection - lightweight, cheap & fun! http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/

Yes, yes. April is the rainy month in Spain. May can be VERY wet in Galicia ..... if you're lucky, it'll be 100% dry, but .....
So I tend to take gaiters. I certainly wore them a lot in 2012 - almost daily.
Of course, we hope it'll always be dry and sunny.
The day that EVERYONE takes gaiters, you can be sure of no rain at all :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.