• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gaiters useful ?

Wim Dijkstra

Dutch, third part Camino Frances
Time of past OR future Camino
Saint Jean Pied de Port - Najera (2015)
Najera - Leon (2016)
Leon - Santiago de Compostela (2017)
Anyone used gaiters in combination with a poncho to keep dry feet and pants clean from mud during rain ?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Anyone used gaiters in combination with a poncho to keep dry feet and pants clean from mud during rain ?
Yes. They work very well, though you should expect some rain to penetrate the lace areas of boots in heavy rain.

Purpose of gaiters is to keep mud and snow out of hiking boots.

I'm not sure they do much to keep feet dry except in that they keep snow out.

Scree cuffs are often used to keep small gravel out of shoes.

I wear shorts with gaiters and hiking boots. I like that gaiters keep bugs off my calf muscles. Plus it keeps debris, including mud and snow should I get into it, out of my boots.

On the camino its pretty rare to get mud deeper than the sole of your shoe. Snow is usually gone by end April. If you are wearing long pants while on the camino then debris won't get in your shoes and bugs won't get your legs.

If your main concern is about getting wet feet ... there is a secret to staying dry ... don't get wet.

I found in Galicia the rain came in squalls that lasted 5 or 10 minutes. There was usually at least a half hour warning with a line of advancing black clouds providing notice. I tried to find places to wait it out. Bus stops, coniferous trees, and under building cornices. At minimum I'd find a place to stand where there wasn't a river flowing through keeping shoes out of water. It provided a good excuse for a tea break too. The rain fell; the water ran in rivulets; and, when it was over I resumed walking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I will take a pair on my next camino.

Last September on the Camino Frances, I only encountered 3 days of rain, fortunately. A lightweight pair of gaiters would've been helpful to keep socks dry below rain pants.

Buen Camino!

I didn't use my gaiters at all, although I had them with me both in June & also in September. My trousers were long enough to cover my boots for the odd downpour in June and a Spanish poncho with the space over the backpack kept me dry. It does depend what time of the year you go and which Camino I suppose but if you've got gortex type shoes, I wouldn't bother as it's extra weight.

Hi Paul, did you notice it was me ?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Paul, did you notice it was me ?
Of course, Wim!! Wish I could be joining you for leg #2, but air prices wouldn't allow it. You may not need gaiters for this leg, this time of year. We want to see pictures!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.