• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gare de l´Est: waiting between trains on a Saturday night

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious. Rep stravaiging offender
Time of past OR future Camino
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
Passing through Paris on my way home on the train, I have to wait for half a night for a 6:54 departure from Est.
And this on a Saturday night..Opening hours are not listed..
Does anyone know of a place nearby to make it possible for a short kip, or for a waking night with safety?
I have never been to Paris before and have a tight deadline on my Rail Pass and will rather not miss this train home

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gare de l'Est is about ten minutes walk from the larger Gare du Nord though that also closes 1.30 to 4.30. But that means the area is full of places to eat and stay, including some hostels. I can't find any all night cafes on a fairly quick Google. Where and when do you get into Paris? Is there any scope for adjusting your journey time or staying where you arrive then travelling to Gare de l'Est? The metro closes at night but there is a network of night buses called Noctilien - information at www.ratp.fr which has an English language option.

I have stayed in a hostel St Christopher Inn - which was fine but bring earplugs (I last stayed 2019) and is between Gare d'Est and Gare du Nord. I had a late arrival and an early train. It was adequate - bed and a hot shower (as a solo female I wouldn't hang round all night so booked the hostel)

problem solved, plans are changed and I will only be in Paris between stations, instead I will be changing trains three times btw Frankfurt and Hamburg most of the night!.
I am testing this time to get to Spain and return from Scandinavia by train instead of flying.....

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.