• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gathering; Places of Rest

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most recent: Fall 2023 Aragonés, Frances
Photos of a few (of the many) of those special places where we stop. Rest. Talk of our day. Cafe con leche! Another sello. Reunite with companions. Make new companions. Some are busy bars. Some just simple areas of refuge with a bench and fountain. Some are unattended donativo stalls with fruit, water, chocolate. New energy - on we go.

Would love to see other's photos of their memorable places and people.

1 & 2. The wonderful man with his coffee van between Orisson and Roncesvalles, near Col de Lepoeder
3. Irotz
4. Jose Ramon's place. Lorca
5. & 6. Felisa's place. Just before Logrono
7. David's place just before Astorga.
8. Near Boente
9. Near Castaneda

Attachments

• DSC04470.JPG
    DSC04470.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
  • DSC04474.JPG
    DSC04474.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 130
  • DSC04600.JPG
    DSC04600.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 129
  • DSC04749.JPG
    DSC04749.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 130
  • DSC04895.JPG
    DSC04895.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 128
  • DSC04890.JPG
    DSC04890.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 123
  • DSC05592.JPG
    DSC05592.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 120
  • DSC08395.JPG
    DSC08395.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 112
  • DSC08399.JPG.JPG
    DSC08399.JPG.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Photos of a few (of the many) of those special places where we stop. Rest. Talk of our day. Cafe con leche! Another sello. Reunite with companions. Make new companions. Some are busy bars. Some just simple areas of refuge with a bench and fountain. Some are unattended donativo stalls with fruit, water, chocolate. New energy - on we go.

1 & 2. The wonderful man with his coffee van between Orisson and Roncesvalles, near Col de Lepoeder
3. Irotz
8. Near Boente
9. Near Castaneda
Wonderful photos....thankyou so much for sharing.:p

Encouraging. Thanks. As a first timer I feel focused on the travelling, sleeping, surviving. I am so very glad to see these places of lightness and remember why I want to go in the first place. Weigh and wait.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here's a bit of a story and a recent photo from a favorite place of rest.

Every day brings new experiences on the camino; each morning you never can be truly certain of what might occur as time passes, with whom you will be and where you might stop. All is just the 'luck of the draw', ie happenstance. Last October bouncing along alone towards Najera through acres of recently harvested Rioja vineyards in the cold early morning air (0 Celsius!) under an ice blue sky all was glorious; the type of morning you dream about for walking.

I had planned to stop at my favorite 'hidden' hilltop nook on that Ventosa-Najera stretch to sit and rest in the sun while eating a biscuit or two. When I arrived two guys were already seated in 'my nook' their backs to the path; nary a pack was visible. Were they 'woodsmen' (anxiously I recalled dystopian movie scenes) or pilgrims? Slowly I walked a few meters further; they saw me as I with RELIEF spoted their pilgrim shells and we three shouted 'Hola!' simultaneously.

Charming and most gracious they offered me delicious HOT tea brewed on a primus stove; we chatted while sipping tea and enjoying the biscuits. From Germany and Holland these two guys had met while walking; now they were sharing the way. After Santiago they planned to walk south to Cadiz and cross to North Africa for the winter. After our teatime was finished we shook hands and continued on our mutual ways.

3. Irotz
8. Near Boente
9. Near Castaneda

Wonderful idea, Theatregal!!! I will really have to look into my Camino photo folder. See you soon ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here's a bit of a story and a recent photo from a favorite place of rest.

Every day brings new experiences on the camino; each morning you never can be truly certain of what might occur as time passes, with whom you will be and where you might stop. All is just the 'luck of the draw', ie happenstance. Last October bouncing along alone towards Najera through acres of recently harvested Rioja vineyards in the cold early morning air (0 Celsius!) under an ice blue sky all was glorious; the type of morning you dream about for walking.

I had planned to stop at my favorite 'hidden' hilltop nook on that Ventosa-Najera stretch to sit and rest in the sun while eating a biscuit or two. When I arrived two guys were already seated in 'my nook' their backs to the path; nary a pack was visible. Were they 'woodsmen' (anxiously I recalled dystopian movie scenes) or pilgrims? Slowly I walked a few meters further; they saw me as I with RELIEF spoted their pilgrim shells and we three shouted 'Hola!' simultaneously.

Charming and most gracious they offered me delicious HOT tea brewed on a primus stove; we chatted while sipping tea and enjoying the biscuits. From Germany and Holland these two guys had met while walking; now they were sharing the way. After Santiago they planned to walk south to Cadiz and cross to North Africa for the winter. After our teatime was finished we shook hands and continued on our mutual ways.

Lovely story mspath. Moments and experiences like this, these wonderful connections we make with other people along the way ~ memories of these are the core of what really makes the camino important to me. Thank you for sharing this!

Here we go. First six:
1: village square in Gerendiain/Bizkaretta with local bar. Perfect spot for a short rest on warm May sun.,
2: lovely stone bench with a guardian (before Uterga),
3: at Felisa (before Logrono), after a long slog on concrete Camino,
4: older Spanish lady (regular customer) and my friend, Englishman Keith Hatcher (former hippy, an English teacher) at Gambrinus Pub in Logrono,
5: wooden bench at Grajera lake, lovely shady place on hot sunny day,
6: welcoming bar on entering Villambistia.

Attachments

• 0108-main square in Gerendiain (Roncesvalles-Zubiri,16.05.2011).jpg
    0108-main square in Gerendiain (Roncesvalles-Zubiri,16.05.2011).jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 0239-statue of Mary just before Uterga (Pamplona-Uterga, 24.05.2009).jpg
    0239-statue of Mary just before Uterga (Pamplona-Uterga, 24.05.2009).jpg
    375 KB · Views: 35
  • 0402-Felisa's stand before Logrono (Los Arcos-Logrono, 21.05.2011).jpg
    0402-Felisa's stand before Logrono (Los Arcos-Logrono, 21.05.2011).jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 0478-old lady and Keith Hatcher in Gambrinus pub (Logrono, 22.05.2011).jpg
    0478-old lady and Keith Hatcher in Gambrinus pub (Logrono, 22.05.2011).jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 0496-bench at La Grajera lake (Logrono-Navarette, 23.05.2011).jpg
    0496-bench at La Grajera lake (Logrono-Navarette, 23.05.2011).jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 0659-entering Villambistia (Belorado-Ages, 28.05.2011).jpg
    0659-entering Villambistia (Belorado-Ages, 28.05.2011).jpg
    432.4 KB · Views: 35
1. On getting to El Acebo from Rabanal. I hadn't really eaten anything for about 30 hours due to bad timing and really worn out, stumbling all over the place down the descent into the village. Best sandwich I'd ever had

2012-10-19131528-1.jpg

2. Reaching Molinaseca. Rest!

2012-10-19173613.jpg

3. My favourite stop, Alto de Poio for breakfast, early enough and high enough that we were above the level of the sun

2012-10-22101925.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Next package:
1: Espolon in Burgos. Could've simply sat there for hours and just watching the world goes by. Same with sitting in front of the cathedral, but I won't post pictures of it because it is so very well known,
2: I love those simple bars, cafes etc. Kind of reminds me of my youth (e.g.no money, huge "needs"),
3: San Anton - simply one of the loveliest places on CF. Such calmness, pure beauty...,
4: Itero de la Vega - I've had 10 days of strong, constant, freezing wind on Meseta and when coming to this village I was hoping to get some shelter. This place was the only possibility,
5: Villarmentero de Campos - one of the cutest albergues on CF. I'll try to stay here next time,
6: Villalcazar de Sirga - I learned how to drink wine traditionally with help from a bunch of Spanish tourists. Nice lady wanted to take this picture of me (with my camera) ;)

Attachments

• 0731-Espolon (Burgos, 30.05.2011).jpg
    0731-Espolon (Burgos, 30.05.2011).jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 0864-pub in Tarjados (Burgos-Rabe de las Calzados, 31.05.2011).jpg
    0864-pub in Tarjados (Burgos-Rabe de las Calzados, 31.05.2011).jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 0900-San Anton (Rabe de las Calzados-Castrojeriz, 01.06.2011).jpg
    0900-San Anton (Rabe de las Calzados-Castrojeriz, 01.06.2011).jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 0930-shop in Itero de la Vega (Castrojeriz-Fromista, 02.06.2011).jpg
    0930-shop in Itero de la Vega (Castrojeriz-Fromista, 02.06.2011).jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 0953-albergue Amanecer in Villarmentero de Campos (Fromista-Carrion de los Condes, 03.06.2011).jpg
    0953-albergue Amanecer in Villarmentero de Campos (Fromista-Carrion de los Condes, 03.06.2011).jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 0961-drinking wine in Villalcazar de Sirga (Fromista-Carrion de los Condes, 03.06.2011).jpg
    0961-drinking wine in Villalcazar de Sirga (Fromista-Carrion de los Condes, 03.06.2011).jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 35
On a beautiful Sunday morning I stopped to rest at a bench and picnic table in the shade of some trees in the sleepy village square in Villamayor.

Out of the corner of my eye I spotted some swings and well you know how it is ...one thing led to another and rest turned to play !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• DSCF1776.JPG
    DSCF1776.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 36
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm really enjoying everyone's photos and memories!

1. Wonderful companions; St. Juan de Ortega
2. Fuente del Pioj0 (a few km past Castrojeriz)
3. Manjarin
4. Acebo

Attachments

• DSC05064.JPG
    DSC05064.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • DSC05227.JPG
    DSC05227.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC05691.JPG
    DSC05691.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • DSC05707.JPG
    DSC05707.JPG
    849.2 KB · Views: 30
Another six:
1: that's actually the breakfast at the beginning of that long straight stretch (17kms I believe) from Carrion de los Condes onward. The lady in the photo is Maria, opera singer from Barcelona I've me two days earlier just before Fromista. I can say that friendship which ended at Finisterre (not permanently though) is the high point of my Camino regarding people. At Calzada Romana I managed to catch up with her (because I'm always very late in the morning) and found her all in tears. After two days she told me every good and bad memory about her father which died few years earlier. Good listener, a long hug and easy breakfast was all that soothe her grief in that exact moment :)

2: lovely resting spot a few hundred meters out of Santibanez de Valdeiglesia. I remember there's also a thread about that place here on the forum.

3: calming down at Taverna de Gaia in Foncebadon after speedy 30mins from Rabanal. I simply have to try to really beat this oh so "frightening" ascent ;)

4: another look over the table (with can of cold beer) this time at Manjarin. Very special place....

5: Albergue Casa Domingo at Ponte Campana Mato (after Palas de Rei) is definitely the place I'll stay in next time. Maybe even for two days. Such calmness, with river close by, excellent food,........

6: this one is already in this thread. It would be interesting to collect photos of the same stand in different years.

Attachments

• 0978-Maria at breakfast in Calzada Romana (Carrion de los Condes-Ledigos, 04.06.2011).jpg
    0978-Maria at breakfast in Calzada Romana (Carrion de los Condes-Ledigos, 04.06.2011).jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 1153-stone cross (San Martin del Camino-Astorga, 10.06.2011).jpg
    1153-stone cross (San Martin del Camino-Astorga, 10.06.2011).jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 1232-La Taberna de Gaia in Foncebadon (Rabanal del Camino-Acebo, 12.06.2011).jpg
    1232-La Taberna de Gaia in Foncebadon (Rabanal del Camino-Acebo, 12.06.2011).jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 1258-albergue Manjarin (Rabanal del Camino-Acebo, 12.06.2011).jpg
    1258-albergue Manjarin (Rabanal del Camino-Acebo, 12.06.2011).jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 1533-albergue Casa Domingo in Ponte Campana Mato (Ventos de Naron-Melide, 20.06.2011).jpg
    1533-albergue Casa Domingo in Ponte Campana Mato (Ventos de Naron-Melide, 20.06.2011).jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 1547-selfservice after Melide (Melide-Brea, 21.06.2011).jpg
    1547-selfservice after Melide (Melide-Brea, 21.06.2011).jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 27
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some of the lovely folks I had a chance to walk with, talk with, share rest with….

1. Between Orisson and Roncesvalles. A wonderful woman and her two daughters from Holland. We stayed at Kayola the night before, had breakfast together at Orisson and walked for most of the day. I didn't see them again after this day and didn't make note of their names!

2. Just after Irotz. Two friends from Japan. Again, I don't remember their names. I made this mistake too many times in the early days of my camino - not writing down names or getting contact info so I could send photos. I walked with them on and off for the next 4 or 5 days, then lost track. Later I found out that the man on the right developed breathing problems and had to be hospitalized in Estella and then went home. He was 74 years old and this was his fourth camino.

3. Maneru. Jacques from Holland and Emilie from France.

4. Navarette. Mike from the U.S.A. Simon from Holland. George from the U.S.A.

5. Azofra. John and Helen from the U.K. George from the U.S.A. Yun (spelling?) from Korea.

6. Tosantos. Liz from the U.S.A. Pietro from Italy. Helen from the U.K. Babi from Brazil.

7. Lunch in intense Meseta wind on the long stretch between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza. Experienced a strange phenomenon shortly after this rest stop. Again, out on the path, fighting against the wind when all of a sudden in a small pocket of space, the wind just stopped. 5 of us stood in this pocket of calm. 3 other pilgrims arrived and joined us in this windless pocket. We stood there for some time enjoying this respite from the relentless wind, marvelling at how unusual it was. Then we moved forward and into the wind again. The strangest experience.

8. Just past Puente La Reina. Roger and Jeannette from Canada - Quebec.

Attachments

• DSC04496.JPG
    DSC04496.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC04611.JPG
    DSC04611.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC04695.JPG
    DSC04695.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC04927.JPG
    DSC04927.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC04963.JPG
    DSC04963.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC05026.JPG
    DSC05026.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • DSC05325.JPG
    DSC05325.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC04690.JPG
    DSC04690.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
@Theatregal
Exactly the same problem with me not gathering contact info of the people I've met. Ah............
But then again ... I didn't socialize much with other pilgrims really. Guess that's because of the nature of my work, constant interaction with someone. Sometimes I really wish that I'd be a composer, painter, writer or such, just to be able to "downsize" those interactions ;)

Anyway, lovely photos!!!

And congratulations for both olympic gold medals in ice hockey. Great games :cool:

@Theatregal
Exactly the same problem with me not gathering contact info of the people I've met. Ah............
But then again ... I didn't socialize much with other pilgrims really. Guess that's because of the nature of my work, constant interaction with someone. Sometimes I really wish that I'd be a composer, painter, writer or such, just to be able to "downsize" those interactions ;)

Anyway, lovely photos!!!

And congratulations for both olympic gold medals in ice hockey. Great games :cool:

Yes, in my work too - always busy with people. Though I cherish the people I connect with and spend time with on the camino, I cherish just as much the time on my own.

Did we win gold?!?! Whoo Hoo! Exciting. I'm in a place where I've been kind of out of touch with what's happening - working and no TV where I'm staying. Though I have heard we've (as in Canada) been doing quite well. :D

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes, in my work too - always busy with people. Though I cherish the people I connect with and spend time with on the camino, I cherish just as much the time on my own.

Did we win gold?!?! Whoo Hoo! Exciting. I'm in a place where I've been kind of out of touch with what's happening - working and no TV where I'm staying. Though I have heard we've (as in Canada) been doing quite well. :D

Oops, sorry, it was a jump start..... For now there's just ladies gold medal for Canada. But you've won against USA in men's semifinal and will play tomorrow against Sweden.

For the rest - sorry, off-topic, off-topic, off-topic :oops:

Back on topic. :)

Sat in front of the church for a while on a bench next to this lovely woman, having my breakfast on my way out of San Juan de Villapanada (Primitivo). I saw her here, sitting in the same place, the evening before on a walk around the village. We didn't talk very much, just sat quietly enjoying morning sounds and light. As I started to prepare to leave, she stood, took my hand and held it for a moment, said Buen Camino and went into the church. One of those special moments that will remain with me.

Attachments

• DSC07620.JPG
    DSC07620.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
Back on topic. :)

Sat in front of the church for a while on a bench next to this lovely woman, having my breakfast on my way out of San Juan de Villapanada (Primitivo). I saw her here, sitting in the same place, the evening before on a walk around the village. We didn't talk very much, just sat quietly enjoying morning sounds and light. As I started to prepare to leave, she stood, took my hand and held it for a moment, said Buen Camino and went into the church. One of those special moments that will remain with me.

I can imagine that, because very often such things are happening to me. You just have to let it go and all that is supposed to come will surely come by,

Another or could be last six from me. Maybe I'll post one more, but have to find right words for that one. Nevertheless:
1: another "next time to stay in" albergue. In Ribadiso. In 2011 it simply didn't fit in the schedule for return flight to stop earlier that day. But I would really loved to soak my feet in that river, with cold beer in my lap and listening to the mix of pilgrims & birds talking to each other and sounds of that river. Kind of ultimate calmness within chaos I guess :rolleyes:,

2: Ponte Maceira (already on Camino Finisterre). Actually it was the kitch-iest place on my Camino, but I loved it so much, hahaha (2 photos),

3: in Santa Marina I had to stop for a cold beer because it was sooooo hot ;) and after first round of refreshment young pilgrims at next table were already snoozing. It was really nice to see such "I need it and I don't give a damn ..." attitude,

4: one would not believe (unless walked it) that this was shot on Camino. Haha, maybe even more kitchy than Ponte Maceira. But the stretch from Corcubion to Finisterre was really something I could call "introspective" stage,

5: and at the end "introspective" turned to 15mins of tears. Not really crying, not weeping as such, just tears running for quarter of an hour. Now I think of it as it was maybe better I couldn't be in complete accordance with my brain&soul. Otherwise maybe I would've never wished to return to Camino. Or at least I'd be scared to hell. I sincerely don't know what happened to me while walking (and not really interested in knowing that), but sure I'm all hooked now. And that's enough for me :D

K1

Attachments

• 1549-crossing rio Iso at Ribadiso (Melide-Brea, 21.06.2011).jpg
    1549-crossing rio Iso at Ribadiso (Melide-Brea, 21.06.2011).jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 1683-Ponte Maceira (Santiago de Compostela-Negreira, 24.06.2011).jpg
    1683-Ponte Maceira (Santiago de Compostela-Negreira, 24.06.2011).jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 1687-Ponte Maceira (Santiago de Compostela-Negreira, 24.06.2011).jpg
    1687-Ponte Maceira (Santiago de Compostela-Negreira, 24.06.2011).jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 1712-pilgrims resting in front of bar in Santa Marina (Vilaserio-Olveiroa, 26.06.2011).jpg
    1712-pilgrims resting in front of bar in Santa Marina (Vilaserio-Olveiroa, 26.06.2011).jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 1790-Sardineiro beach (Corcubion-Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    1790-Sardineiro beach (Corcubion-Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 1818-end of the world (Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    1818-end of the world (Finnis Terrae, 28.06.2011).jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back