• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Get Tarjeta Dorada in USA

William Donovan

Time of past OR future Camino
I've seen several questions bout getting a Tarjeta Dorada in the USA

You can contact Milagros Godomar at Petrabax. Her email is:
milagros@petrabax.com

She will send you a form to fill out for the credit card payment and she'll want your passport no. to verify your age.

The cost is $15.00.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

milagros@petrabax.com

She will send you a form to fill out for the credit card payment and she'll want your passport no. to verify your age.

The cost is $15.00.

It's great that brokers can now issue the card. Brokers can also sell tickets with the RENFE discounts. Before I did that, though, i would just check to make sure that you will actually be saving money, because these brokers add a pretty hefty fee to the price of the ticket (though I think Petrabax charges less than RailEurope). The Tarjeta Dorada, for instance will cost you more than twice what you would pay in Spain to get it through Petrabax.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

milagros@petrabax.com

The cost is $15.00.
What is this Tarjeta Dorada?

The Card provides special discounts for certain services for people older than 60 years old. For example; deep discounts (40%) on train fares if traveling Monday-Thursday and 25% weekends. You can also buy it at many train stations and travel agencies in Spain for 6 Euros. It also applies to people of any age with physical disabilities (aplicable to a companion as well); however to obtain a Tarjeta Dorada if a disability is a little more involved.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My experience booking Renfe tickets - forget trying to obtain a Tarjeta Dorada, just keep checking the Renfe site for "promo" fares - some amazing deals to be had in advance (6-10 weeks or so). Example: Leon to Santiago in May 9.95 euros. Alsa bus is nearer 25e, and gets in late at night. Madrid Chamartin to Ponferrada - 13.65 euros on promo (TrenHotel) - again, bus is a lot dearer. Not that I have anything against Alsa - good,comfortable,reliable travel. But, needs must when you're strapped for cash;)

My experience booking Renfe tickets - forget trying to obtain a Tarjeta Dorada, just keep checking the Renfe site for "promo" fares - some amazing deals to be had in advance (6-10 weeks or so).

All that is well and good if you are pretty certain that you WILL be taking THAT train at THAT time 10 weeks in advanced. When you are crossing the Atlantic, it is risky to buy a train ticket for immediately after 10 weeks in advance to get a discount, however attractive that discount may be. That said, I would not think ill of anybody who tries to get a good deal!! Buen Camino!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...
hello - Does anyone have a suggested app that i can both track my progress along the route and share real time location? i know how to share real time on google maps but. or route progress. thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back