• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino tracks showing in Google Earth (GE): How to get them?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Hi,

for some time I've had The Camino Frances & VdlP showing as yellow lines in GE. For some reason, unknown to me, GE removed them some time ago. I want them back!

I don't remember where/how i got them installed, and hope someone can help me out, for the benefit of myself as well of many others, for sure.

It is great to be able to turn on Street View and "walk" through familiar places on different Caminos.

I am sure some member here knows how to get the tracks for different Caminos showing up on GE?

Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi,

for some time I've had The Camino Frances & VdlP showing as yellow lines in GE. For some reason, unknown to me, GE removed them some time ago. I want them back!

I don't remember where/how i got them installed, and hope someone can help me out, for the benefit of myself as well of many others, for sure.

It is great to be able to turn on Street View and "walk" through familiar places on different Caminos.

I am sure some member here knows how to get the tracks for different Caminos showing up on GE?

Thanks!
There is a Dutch website that has all of the routes in kml/kmz (google earth) format available to download. The website is available in a variety of languages

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm also a mapy fan, but if you are looking for something like an overview of Camino routes it'snot great because you have to zoom in really close to see the routes. It's great for navigation while you're on the ground though.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you can get your hands on the actual GPX or KML files you just import them. Is this what you are looking for? This is a flyover of Brindisi on the VF nel Sud.

It looks even better on the phone app version

Attachments

• Brindisi.jpg
    Brindisi.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 50
If you can get your hands on the actual GPX or KML files you just import them. Is this what you are looking for? This is a flyover of Brindisi on the VF nel Sud.

It looks even better on the phone app version
Thanks for all suggestions!
But the issue is: How can I "import" such tracking files into GE so that it shows (like an overlay on GE, so I can zoom in and eventually go to Street View?

There is a Dutch website that has all of the routes in kml/kmz (google earth) format available to download. The website is available in a variety of languages

I downloaded all Spanish Caminos from that website, double-clicked on the the downloaded file, and it seems to work!

Problem is: Some parts of some Caminos are shown in grey: Hard to see. So this is still a work in progress. But many thanks to you for this!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for all suggestions!
But the issue is: How can I "import" such tracking files into GE so that it shows (like an overlay on GE, so I can zoom in and eventually go to Street View?

I downloaded all Spanish Caminos from that website, double-clicked on the the downloaded file, and it seems to work!

Problem is: Some parts of some Caminos are shown in grey: Hard to see. So this is still a work in progress. But many thanks to you for this!
You can change the line color. For a desktop version of GE:

Right click on the grey line in the KML file in My Places. Select Properties. That opens the Edit Path window. You can vary the line width and color in the Style, Color tab.

You can change the line color. For a desktop version of GE:

Right click on the grey line in the KML file in My Places. Select Properties. That opens the Edit Path window. You can vary the line width and color in the Style, Color tab.
That did the trick! Now It's just a quick job with colours and line width. (Old man...). Thanks a lot again!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

That website you linked to is a treasure trove! I've added all routes in Portugal now!
Thank you so much, @Evan White !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi alexwalker (and/or Evan?)
My understanding from the conversation above is that you now have a clear and accurate way of tracking and following the camino paths at street level. If either of you have some downtime over the winter months I'd be very grateful if you could put together a complete idiot's guide on this, please?
Maybe start by describing the outcome you've arrived at and then go back to the beginning..
Inputs in particular - what are the system requirements (phone, pc, operating system version, memory etc), software to be downloaded, file types and their relevance (that's where the Dutch site lost me). How you put it all together and do the overlaying etc.
I always imagined that the virtual camino walking groups already used something like this, in which case I'm sure one of the members of those will pop up and expalin this is old news. But if not, I guess this approach may be useful for those groups too. In which case the end product might deserve a sticky - the highest honour that the forum currently confers... 🥰
Cheers, tom

Hi alexwalker (and/or Evan?)
My understanding from the conversation above is that you now have a clear and accurate way of tracking and following the camino paths at street level. If either of you have some downtime over the winter months I'd be very grateful if you could put together a complete idiot's guide on this, please?
Maybe start by describing the outcome you've arrived at and then go back to the beginning..
Inputs in particular - what are the system requirements (phone, pc, operating system version, memory etc), software to be downloaded, file types and their relevance (that's where the Dutch site lost me). How you put it all together and do the overlaying etc.
I always imagined that the virtual camino walking groups already used something like this, in which case I'm sure one of the members of those will pop up and expalin this is old news. But if not, I guess this approach may be useful for those groups too. In which case the end product might deserve a sticky - the highest honour that the forum currently confers... 🥰
Cheers, tom
I'll try to explain, but surely @Evan White (thank you again!) can do it better :cool:

I followed his link to the Dutch site, scrolled down to Spain, and selected "All caminos", downloaded the KML file, then double-clicked on the downloaded file, and "Voila": All caminoes showed up in GE.

Some had (parts of) tracks in grey, so I changed them. I also put different colours on some caminos:

If you left-click on a track, you'll get the name of that camino. If you right-click on the track, you can change settings. I used that to change the colour and width of each camino.

Just for the fun of it, I later added all caminoes in Portugal. :cool:

The tracks are overlaid on GE, so you can zoom in to different sections and go Street View. Mind you, only sections of the caminoes that have been visited by Google mapping cars can be "walked": Dirt tracks, foot paths etc. must be visited in person, meaning that the climb to O'Cebreiro f.ex is not covered, while (parts of) O'Cebreiro is. :)

Edit: These overlays are also showing all variants/alternative stretches of each Camino: Very useful...

That's about it.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Work finished.

I now have all caminoes, including detours/alternatives, in Spain and Portugal, showing up when I start GE. I left-click on a track to get the name of it, and start from there: I can zoom in to see places, go down to Street View, and check the route in detail. Very nice.

Spania Caminoer.png

Edit: I should say; this is on my home PC: dreamtime and planning.. When walking, Caminowise, my Iphone is only used for the Wise Pilgrim app (excellent and all I need) and eventually booking ahead (via the app built-in facility mostly) if needed.

Also for booking my return home: On numerous caminos, I have booked my return flight twice. I had to throw them away each time because plans changed. So these days, I book my return when I know when I want to return. (retired man: freedom).' Also, I am a European: It is not a long way/flight back to Norway.

And of course I use the phone to report back to my "boss" at home that I am alive and kicking.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back