• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Get together in Lisbon?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am going to be in Lisbon and will have some free time if there's any chance others would want to get together for a coffee, a pastel de nata :), or something else. The afternoon or evening of Thursday, February 20, or virtually any time Friday the 21st would work. I'm also hoping to get together with my pals at the Via Lusitana, and it would be fun to meet with any others who may be around. Diogo and amsimoes, that's you I'm talking about. Bom caminho, Laurie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am going to be in Lisbon and will have some free time if there's any chance others would want to get together for a coffee, a pastel de nata :), or something else. The afternoon or evening of Thursday, February 20, or virtually any time Friday the 21st would work. I'm also hoping to get together with my pals at the Via Lusitana, and it would be fun to meet with any others who may be around. Diogo and amsimoes, that's you I'm talking about. Bom caminho, Laurie

Hmmm, let me see my work schedule, I thing that I will start to work at night next week, I will tell you something latter ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@peregrina2000, on the 20th, I'll be working from 4PM to 11PM, and on the 21st from 11PM untill 8AM. Near the date, let's arrange something, ok?

;)

I'd love to meet up .... but a Ryanair flight would make it an expensive coffee ;) .... even if I got to meet Laurie!
Enjoy your get-together!
Best wishes from cool, dark, wet Suffolk, 100 kms north of London...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I will be there in spirit - have a great visit!

Hello

Peregrina 2000

I enjoyed meeting you, and eat a pastel de nata, on 20 or 21 February. I work in the center of Lisbon.

Send an email to me to gmail.

Amsimoes

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, amsimoes, I sent you an email. I am looking forward to this.

I don't think we will need to rent a separate room, but there will be a few of us! At last count, we are at least four strong!

I have ordered a sunny warm day, so ignore all those forecasts of rain and wind. ;) Bom caminho, Laurie

Hi, amsimoes, I sent you an email. I am looking forward to this. I have ordered a sunny warm day, so ignore all those forecasts of rain and wind. ;) Bom caminho, Laurie
Laurie - would have loved to meet all my Camino friends, but the distance ....
Meanwhile - when you've finished with that sunshine, please send it on here! This photo was taken three days ago in South West England ....
shrunked-image.jpg

Bom caminho - y bom get-together [whatever that is in Spanish/Portuguese!! ;)]

I saw this clock tower on the news - said it was in danger of being toppled. I hope not!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I saw this clock tower on the news - said it was in danger of being toppled. I hope not!
It's a church tower, lynnejohn, and - as far as I know - it is still standing!
More flood warnings are in place today. My friends in Malta also have severe conditions.
I look at the satellite pictures and am so glad I'm not on the camino at the moment!!

Laurie - would have loved to meet all my Camino friends, but the distance ....
Meanwhile - when you've finished with that sunshine, please send it on here! This photo was taken three days ago in South West England ....
View attachment 7975

Bom caminho - y bom get-together [whatever that is in Spanish/Portuguese!! ;)]

MOTHER OF GOD :eek:

*Mãe de Deus :p
But what do you mean with that ?

Is it because you saw the picture of the church in stormy weather or because Stephan said something like "bom get together" which you translated ?

But what do you mean with that ?

Is it because you saw the picture of the church in stormy weather or because Stephan said something like "bom get together" which you translated ?

The picture. It's so scary, but so beatiful, at the same time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Laurie,
Yes, I will have "uma bica e um pastel de nata" with you.
Just let me know the date, time and place!
I will be there.
Mario
Um abraço da Holanda Mario ! Toqué as gitarras suas (Cort e Godin) no Mayo pasado no Santarèm.
Muito sorte e talvez até a próxima vez.
Albert e Nel Weterings Rotterdão Holanda

Hi Laurie,
Yes, I will have "uma bica e um pastel de nata" with you.
Just let me know the date, time and place!
I will be there.
Mario

So glad to hear there will be a bunch of us! We can figure out exact time and place early next week (several have suggested Martinho da Arcada in Praca do Comercio). Looking forward to seeing everyone. Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everyone.

I am available 20th February to meet you anytime at Martinho da Arcada.

On February 21, I have no chance after 17H00.

If you are available, suggest the hour. I work near the Martinho da Arcada cafe and I meet you at the cafe.

Amsimoes

Um abraço da Holanda Mario ! Toqué as gitarras suas (Cort e Godin) no Mayo pasado no Santarèm.
Muito sorte e talvez até a próxima vez.
Albert e Nel Weterings Rotterdão Holanda

Hi Albert. Oh yes I remember that it was the second happening@santaremhostel you can see Django's Castle with Cort May, 18:
Yes hope to see you soon... and a Jam Session to celebrate.
My regards to Nel
All the best to you both

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So glad to hear there will be a bunch of us! We can figure out exact time and place early next week (several have suggested Martinho da Arcada in Praca do Comercio). Looking forward to seeing everyone. Laurie
Martinho da Arcada It's Ok!
I will drive from Santarem and way back ... so if possible not after 4 p.m.

Hi Albert. Oh yes I remember that it was the second happening@santaremhostel you can see Django's Castle with Cort May, 18:
Yes hope to see you soon... and a Jam Session to celebrate.
My regards to Nel
All the best to you both
Optimo Mario memorias feliçes gostamos de volver a Portugal seria no Mayo e Junio próximo.
Até a vista e um abraço de Holanda

Albert

Based on what others are saying, how about 2 pm on Thursday the 20th at the Cafe Martinho da Arcada under the arches at Praca do Comercio. This should give Diogo and Mario time to get where they're going, and it seems to work for amsimoes as well. I can be very flexible, so if there's a better time let me know. Let's confirm next week, but this seems to be a good time for everyone so far. Looking forward to it, peregrinos amigos. Laurie

Great news Albert and Nel, welcome back! Let me know your arrival date, and the Lovers Suite will be available for you ;)
Habitação de enamoradas e que precisamos Mario :p
Agora não sabemos quando chegaremos mais queremos encontrar Diogo tambèm Ele morra muito perto de Santarèm. Chamamos depois.

Um abraço

Based on what others are saying, how about 2 pm on Thursday the 20th at the Cafe Martinho da Arcada under the arches at Praca do Comercio. This should give Diogo and Mario time to get where they're going, and it seems to work for amsimoes as well. I can be very flexible, so if there's a better time let me know. Let's confirm next week, but this seems to be a good time for everyone so far. Looking forward to it, peregrinos amigos. Laurie

Well, for me it's ok. But I think that I will get there a little bit earlier! I have to be at work, near Praça do Chile, up untill 15:30!

Best Regards
Diogo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, for me it's ok. But I think that I will get there a little bit earlier! I have to be at work, near Praça do Chile, up untill 15:30!

Best Regards
Diogo

Hi, Diogo,
I finish up with my work at 1 pm, and will head down to Martinho da Arcada as soon as possible after that. I should be there by 1:30 or 1:40 and am really looking forward to it. See you all soon! Laurie

Susanna expects pictures of this get together posted on the forum, so I certainly hope that someone has a phone and knows how to post from a phone. No one who knows me would be surprised to know that I don't know how to do that, but since I don't have my iphone with me I don't have to plead ignorance. :)The best I will be able to do is that I can take a picture on my camera, then a few days later when I'm back in the US I will post it.

Fingers crossed that someone will be able to post a pic, because it's important to keep the moderators happy. Laurie

Susanna expects pictures of this get together posted on the forum, so I certainly hope that someone has a phone and knows how to post from a phone. No one who knows me would be surprised to know that I don't know how to do that, but since I don't have my iphone with me I don't have to plead ignorance. :)The best I will be able to do is that I can take a picture on my camera, then a few days later when I'm back in the US I will post it.

Fingers crossed that someone will be able to post a pic, because it's important to keep the moderators happy. Laurie
Great, thanks!
And if Laurie starts singing Fado you will have to film it.
:D

€149,-
I will practice my fado now that I'm here in Portugal. :) We are spending the weekend in Marvao, a beautiful castle town, but unfortunately it is currently raining cats and dogs. Luckily we are located smack dab in the middle of wine country. See you in Lisbon next Thursday! Laurie

Just a reminder and a last call in case anyone else is going to be in Lisbon tomorrow. A group of us is getting together in the (historic) Cafe Martinho da Arcada, under the arches in the Praca do Comercio (to the left as you walk into the square from the Rua Augusta). Some are coming around 2 pm, Diogo will be there earlier, and I will do my best to get there by 1:30. Looking forward to seeing people tomorrow!

I will probably be the only woman alone with a head of short white hair so I should be easy to identify! Bom caminho, Laurie

And so we have met today in the Cafe Martinho de Arcada. Not very welcome for those who just want a coffee and a "pastel de nata", but very funny the way we managed to identify each other. The lady with a head of short white hair will write all about it. Did not sing the fado (sorry Susanna) so no film, but some photos will be available, I hope.
Let's do it again!

Last edited:
Yes, we did meet up, and my forum friends made sure I tried a COLD pastel de nata. Ok, I was wrong, you don't have to go to Belem to get deliciously creamy pasteis de nata, unless you want to stand in a long line and pay twice as much. Thanks, guys, for opening my eyes. The only downside of this revelation is that I will now be tempted to eat a pastel de nata every time I turn the corner in Lisbon and come across a little pastelaria.

Sorry to Susanna, but we were a low tech bunch. I took some pictures with my camera and will post them next week when I'm back home.

I learned about upcoming caminos, on the Portugues and the Primitivo, and I also heard about a route in Portugal that I have to add to my never-ending list -- Viseu to Lamego to Chaves and onto the Sanabres. Well-marked, over the Douro, another beautiful part of the country.

Thanks, lisboetas and Mario, it was great to meet you all.

Bom caminho, Laurie

p.s. and later that night, with my Via Lusitana friends (who were off signing protocols with municipalities along the Caminho north of Lisboa so they couldn't make it to the pastel de nata fest), I learned that last year 400 pilgrims set off from Lisbon. That is a HUGE increase from a mere 5 years ago, and I suspect that this year the numbers will rise a lot more. Diogo, who lives on the caminho north of Lisbon, has already spotted some pilgrims this year!

It was so great, that I didn't want to go to work! When I usually start talking about the Caminho, specially with people who also have the same feelings towards it has the ones that I have, I usually tend to get excited and trilled, and my day it's all Caminho thinking :D

We surely have to repeat this experience, either with the same bunch, or with new people!

Best Regards
Diogo

P.S: Pasteis de Nata <3

It was so great, that I didn't want to go to work! When I usually start talking about the Caminho, specially with people who also have the same feelings towards it has the ones that I have, I usually tend to get excited and trilled, and my day it's all Caminho thinking :D

We surely have to repeat this experience, either with the same bunch, or with new people!

Best Regards
Diogo

I know exactly what you mean. I had a great time, too. I'll be back next year, but I hope it will be in a nicer month than February. But Diogo, what does this mean in your post: P.S: Pasteis de Nata <3 Are you telling me I shouldn't have stopped at two and should have eaten a third?!

I know exactly what you mean. I had a great time, too. I'll be back next year, but I hope it will be in a nicer month than February. But Diogo, what does this mean in your post: P.S: Pasteis de Nata <3 Are you telling me I shouldn't have stopped at two and should have eaten a third?!

It means that they are very good :D

Best Regards
Diogo

Best Regards
Diogo

My good friend when do you start from Lisboa ?

My good friend when do you start from Lisboa ?

Yesterday we talked about it, one day to leave from home, and go up untill Santiago. It would be "funny" and special :)

I don't know yet, it really depends if I'm going to France or not. But probably, I would change the Frances for the almost complete Português.

Best Regards
Diogo

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So this is what my ViaLusitana friends were doing while we were stuffing our faces with delicious pasteis de nata.

http://www.otemplario.pt/ultimahora/noticia/?id=10284

Basically, the article describes an agreement that will guarantee permanent signage in the entire "middle Tejo" region between Lisbon and Coimbra.

This is great news, but it does mean that I won't have many more arrow painting experiences when I come to Lisbon.

Bom caminho, Laurie

We can put you back to work painting arrows on the Camino Madrid, Laurie!
Congratulations on a successful gathering. You are a star.

Reb.

Yes, we did meet up, and my forum friends made sure I tried a COLD pastel de nata. Ok, I was wrong, you don't have to go to Belem to get deliciously creamy pasteis de nata, unless you want to stand in a long line and pay twice as much. Thanks, guys, for opening my eyes. The only downside of this revelation is that I will now be tempted to eat a pastel de nata every time I turn the corner in Lisbon and come across a little pastelaria.

Sorry to Susanna, but we were a low tech bunch. I took some pictures with my camera and will post them next week when I'm back home.

I learned about upcoming caminos, on the Portugues and the Primitivo, and I also heard about a route in Portugal that I have to add to my never-ending list -- Viseu to Lamego to Chaves and onto the Sanabres. Well-marked, over the Douro, another beautiful part of the country.

Thanks, lisboetas and Mario, it was great to meet you all.

Bom caminho, Laurie

p.s. and later that night, with my Via Lusitana friends (who were off signing protocols with municipalities along the Caminho north of Lisboa so they couldn't make it to the pastel de nata fest), I learned that last year 400 pilgrims set off from Lisbon. That is a HUGE increase from a mere 5 years ago, and I suspect that this year the numbers will rise a lot more. Diogo, who lives on the caminho north of Lisbon, has already spotted some pilgrims this year!

Hello everyone ( Laurie , Mario and Diogo ) .

Talking the way is always a pleasure .

I read the blog " stellae campus ," a text that reflects what happens to pilgrims after returning to Santiago.

I share some of the text on the ground that shows the true feeling after pilgrimage.

" this terrible feeling that plagues the pilgrim after crossing a feeling of vast emptiness (I think this was more or less the way I felt the first time I finished the Way ... feeling that comes from repeating ... at least end of the longest Ways ... ) , feeling about which there is so much to say and too little has been said or written ! " .... "There is a lot of information about preparing for the Way , but very little or nothing ( at least that I know ... ) on the ( re) integration of the pilgrim after pilgrimage ! " ....

Next year we need to turn to find it. As Diogo said "surely We have to repeat this experience , either with the same bunch , or with new people! "

Bom Caminho

PS. Laurie

I added you on Google+, you can see the photos of the Portuguese Way of Interior, Santiago de Viseu.

AMSimoes

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I read the blog " stellae campus ," a text that reflects what happens to pilgrims after returning to Santiago.

I share some of the text on the ground that shows the true feeling after pilgrimage.

" this terrible feeling that plagues the pilgrim after crossing a feeling of vast emptiness (I think this was more or less the way I felt the first time I finished the Way ... feeling that comes from repeating ... at least end of the longest Ways ... ) , feeling about which there is so much to say and too little has been said or written ! " .... "There is a lot of information about preparing for the Way , but very little or nothing ( at least that I know ... ) on the ( re) integration of the pilgrim after pilgrimage ! " ....

Next year we need to turn to find it. As Diogo said "surely We have to repeat this experience , either with the same bunch , or with new people! "

Bom Caminho

PS. Laurie

I added you on Google+, you can see the photos of the Portuguese Way of Interior, Santiago de Viseu.

AMSimoes
I agree with you. The camino is like a virus. It is always in the mind.we can't wait untill the next one luckely for us within 3 month from now.

Ps .today we had the luck to taste some pasteis de nata (I already told Diogo about it)
Homemade by a Portugese lady here in the Netherlands . Tasted delicious ,cold or warm. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    820 KB · Views: 10
I agree with you. The camino is like a virus. It is always in the mind.we can't wait untill the next one luckely for us within 3 month from now.

Ps .today we had the luck to taste some pasteis de nata (I already told Diogo about it)
Homemade by a Portugese lady here in the Netherlands . Tasted delicious ,cold or warm. :)

Oh my goodness, they look just as delicious as the ones I had a few days ago!

Bom Caminho

PS. Laurie

AMSimoes
So good to meet you and Rita. I really hope to be able to see your pictures, but Google+ and I are not on very good terms. I'll try again! Bom caminho to you, too. I'll be back in Lisbon next year, so we can talk about our latest Caminhos!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Reb, I hope to be back painting on the Madrid soon -- especially when it involves eating delicious meat falling off the bone in a little hole in the wall place with fabulous food!

And I was the guy who walked to eat? :p

Hola Laurie
hola Laurie. If you ever come to Rotterdam, let me know and I ask my ex sister in law to make a bunch of them and also the delicious bolhos de bacalhao. She is from Lisbon-Almada but lives here for almost all of her life.My brother celebrated his birthday yesterday and she surprised us all with home made pasteis de nata and other delicious food and of course Portugese wine. Like you, I love this beautiful country since a very long time, love the people, love the food, love the scenery love the language, love the caminho ,I love Portugal:) Looking forward to be there later end of May and June next.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok, here are two pictures from our Lisbon GTG. Looks like a return trip that includes a stop at the Marianita Pastelaria in Queluz should be arranged!
Thanks again, everyone, it was a lot of fun. Laurie (not necessary to point out that I am the only one with a plate of pastry in front of me)

View attachment 8421 View attachment 8420
So now we know the names and faces :)

Ok, here are two pictures from our Lisbon GTG. Looks like a return trip that includes a stop at the Marianita Pastelaria in Queluz should be arranged!
Thanks again, everyone, it was a lot of fun. Laurie (not necessary to point out that I am the only one with a plate of pastry in front of me)

View attachment 8421 View attachment 8420
Thanks for posting the pics, Laurie! It's fun to see you. :)
First I thought there was packets of orange juice on the table. And I was wondering if one should drink that to pasteis de nata? But then I saw that it was just the napkins. :D

Thanks for posting the pics, Laurie! It's fun to see you. :)
First I thought there was packets of orange juice on the table. And I was wondering if one should drink that to pasteis de nata? But then I saw that it was just the napkins. :D

Hi, Susanna, I think that most people had coffee with the pastel. My caffeine tolerance is very limited in the afternoon, so I had an agua com gas, which probably wasn't as delicious as the coffee would have been.

Laurie
How do you get time/manage to paint arrows,, visit lisbon, walk caminos, are you working on the Camino routes, I saw threads re holidays with family also. Have you written any place your "entry" into the habitual camino walking fraternity? Love to know. Am walking only 2 years and you sound like a role model.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I just heard from José Luis of the Via Lusitana that they have opened a pilgrim office in Lisbon. It only opens in the afternoons — every day, from 2:30 PM to 6:00 PM. It is a small room in the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back