• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting ready

kared

Time of past OR future Camino
I am planning my first Camino starting at ST Jean Porte de Pied commencing October 2021 with my husband.
We have tried walking with our packed rucksacks but only for 6 miles. Just one thing left to buy which is our wet weather gear. It’s becoming very real. Just over 3 weeks to go.
We are only doing 150 km this time. A 60th birthday challenge to myself. Can’t wait now.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am planning my first Camino starting at ST Jean Porte de Pied commencing October 2021 with my husband.
We have tried walking with our packed rucksacks but only for 6 miles. Just one thing left to buy which is our wet weather gear. It’s becoming very real. Just over 3 weeks to go.
We are only doing 150 km this time. A 60th birthday challenge to myself. Can’t wait now.
Enjoy and …Buen Camino! 🙂

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen Camino

61 with arthritis, two new knees, and parkinsons. My wife and I fly tomorrow and God willing we will start walking on Saturday. We hope to make it to Finisterre before the end of October. I am as excited as a little kid!
Good luck. I’m sure you’ll have the best time ever. Making memories. Bien Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In October and November you may need wet weather gear but don't go "overboard" just a poncho and a warmish layer or two for early mornings.
Ha ha. Thank you. Just made my last purchases, 2 ponchos. One for my husband and one for myself. I bought 2 different brands. Lets hope we don’t need them too much. But hopefully we’re prorated for all weather.

Ha ha. Thank you. Just made my last purchases, 2 ponchos. One for my husband and one for myself. I bought 2 different brands. Lets hope we don’t need them too much. But hopefully we’re prorated for all weather.
Welcome to the Forum!

Did you check that your ponchos also will cover your backpacks?

Buen Camino; Enjoy!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello from Tyler, Texas. My wife and I are planning to walk our first Camino experience a year from now, in September 2022. We will be in Europe to see the Passion Play at Oberammergau along with a group I am leading. After its conclusion, we want to travel to begin the Camino Frances. I walk 5 miles daily and hope that I can increase that gradually to help me prepare for the walk. My wife will not walk as much as I do so I will need to find a service that can transport her along with our bags to a point where she and I will meet along the way. All this is still in the planning stages. Any ideas or help you may offer will be appreciated.

Welcome to the Forum!

Did you check that your ponchos also will cover your backpacks?

Buen Camino; Enjoy!
Thank you. I did. Let’s hope they stay in their pouches. 🤣.
We’re only walking part of the Camino. I’m wishing we was going the full 780 km now. I’m not sure work would like that. Next time!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Alex, yep a backpack cover is certainly worth packing.
I would add that the world famous Altus poncho does a great job of keeping your pack dry. Although it will get a little damp in there as you do some sweating with the poncho on. It works great as an extra layer for warmth. I also bought some really cheap rain pants from that little shop just before the municipal albergue in Hornillos. The old man who owns that shop is wonderful, and those rain pants are light and work great. They too are a nice layer in cold weather.

I would add that the world famous Altus poncho does a great job of keeping your pack dry. Although it will get a little damp in there as you do some sweating with the poncho on. It works great as an extra layer for warmth. I also bought some really cheap rain pants from that little shop just before the municipal albergue in Hornillos. The old man who owns that shop is wonderful, and those rain pants are light and work great. They too are a nice layer in cold weather.
lol. I happened to buy the Altus as I watched a utube video on packing tips that included one. I was going for no waterproof legs though. I plan to wear shorts so my legs might dry easily. Might be cold in October? I’ll have to walk fast ! 🤣

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good luck. I’m sure you’ll have the best time ever. Making memories. Bien Camino
We also wish you the best!

I recently met an older guy who was training to do a mountain run. He said he had to get it done because one day he would not be able to do it, but today is not that day. I felt that was a great way to think about seizing the moment.

Buen Camino!

Hello from Tyler, Texas. My wife and I are planning to walk our first Camino experience a year from now, in September 2022. We will be in Europe to see the Passion Play at Oberammergau along with a group I am leading. After its conclusion, we want to travel to begin the Camino Frances. I walk 5 miles daily and hope that I can increase that gradually to help me prepare for the walk. My wife will not walk as much as I do so I will need to find a service that can transport her along with our bags to a point where she and I will meet along the way. All this is still in the planning stages. Any ideas or help you may offer will be appreciated.
Hey Jerry if you find out let me know. I'm planning to start the CF in May of next year with a friend. We're only going to walk a few days but our wives need to be transported to meet us. Right now we're thinking of renting a car for them, so they can explore the region.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.