• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Roncesvalles from Barcelona

Caminofamilyhs

I am planning to walk with my family in August 2013. What is the best way to get to Roncesvalles from Barcelona? How about Roncesvalles from Madrid?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
From Barcelona to Roncesvalles bus, taxi, or rental car.

Bus: Vibasa Bus Company from Barcelona Sants Station to Pamplona (24 Euros/pp). Then take the afternoon bus Pamplona to Roncesvalles. Prety straightforward.

Taxi-- about 80-100 Euros. It may be actually be a good choice if more than 4.

Rental car- about 65-70 Euros to rent and drop off at Pamplona plus tolls and fuel. Then get to Roncesvalles either bus or taxi. A bit of a hassle.

I took the bus; take the bus. :wink:

Barcelona to Pamplona by train. Best way from Madrid to Pamplona is also the train.

Renfe:
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Then take the bus from Estacion de Autobuses Pamplona to Roncesvalles.

Bus station Pamplona
http://estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/Inicio.aspx

Autocares Artieda (bus company with schedule to Roncesvalles) (follow link to servicios regulares)
http://www.autocaresartieda.com/?scc=svpropios

Schedule for Pamplona to Roncesvalles
http://www.autobusesdenavarra.com/siv/i ... nerario=80

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
whariwharangi said:
Barcelona to Pamplona by train. Best way from Madrid to Pamplona is also the train.
While I agree Madrid-Pamplona by train, not the case BY FAR Barcelona-Pamplona. The train cost is almost double the cost of the bus, it takes the same amount of time, but it drops you far from where you need to be-- the Pamplona BUS Station. Taking the bus from Barcelona is cheaper, same amount of time, and you are drop off at your next pickup stop. Almost a no-brainer. BTW, buses in Spain are very comfortable. A lot of people shy away from them, but it could not be a more user-friendly transport mode.

My wife and I took a Veuling flight ( 100 Euros for both including luggage) from Barcelona to San Sebastian (the airpot is almost in Irun). From Irun take a train to Bayonne and then the train to SJPP. Buen Camino!!

Better and easier to fly into Madrid than Barcelona if possible.

Easy train ride to Pamplona then bus to Roncesvalles (or better yet St. Jean)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Olivares said:
whariwharangi said:
While I agree Madrid-Pamplona by train, not the case BY FAR Barcelona-Pamplona. The train cost is almost double the cost of the bus, it takes the same amount of time, but it drops you far from where you need to be-- the Pamplona BUS Station. Taking the bus from Barcelona is cheaper, same amount of time, and you are drop off at your next pickup stop. Almost a no-brainer. BTW, buses in Spain are very comfortable. A lot of people shy away from them, but it could not be a more user-friendly transport mode.

I can't advise about other means of transport on this route, but I have twice used the bus from Barcelona to Pamplona, and I found it cheap and very comfortable. It ran almost to the minute on schedule and was entirely trouble free. I think Vibassa is the company that runs on this route from BARCA Sants to Pamplona and the cost is €27.30. I also took the route from Burgos to Barcelona which cost a bit more, but was still cheap and efficient. As I recall the cost was about €35 - next to nothing for a long ride. That one is run by a company called ALSA and terminates at a different bust station in Barcelona. I wouldn't hesitate to use buses in Spain again after those experiences. Don't hesitate to use these services. they work well.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Just a question. If you are walking the same or part of a Camino you have walked before, do you stay at the same alburgues as you did or try somewhere new?
I'm about to start the Camino Portuguese, and was wondering what rideshare options are available in Europe?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back