• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Making my way from Barcelona to Oloron-Sainte-Marie

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
My husband and I will be spending a few days in Barcelona before I start my Camino in May. I am planning to take the train to Zaragoza the same day that he flies home. I plan to spend two nights in Zaragoza, then take the train to Canfranc, then bus to Oloron the next day.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Any recommendations on places to stay in Zaragoza or Oloron-Sainte-Marie?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I really liked the Ibis Styles in Zaragoza. No frills but clean and bit more luxury than the basic Ibis.
Very friendly. Central.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
In Oloron Ste Marie a few years back returning by car from Spain my husband and I had a pleasant stopover at the 2 star Hotel Astrolabe.
That's one of the places that I have marked as a favorite on Booking.com.
Do they have a reception desk that can hold my backpack if I arrive before the check in time?

That's one of the places that I have marked as a favorite on Booking.com.
Do they have a reception desk that can hold my backpack if I arrive before the check in time?
There definitely was a réception area. However it might be best to send them an email stating your need.

Happy planning and Carpe diem!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed one night in Zaragoza before going to Canfranc. There are several reasonably priced places near the Basilica. That is the area I would pick for a two night stay, lots of restaurants to choose from. I stayed at the Hotel Oriente.
In Oloron I stayed at the albergue Relias du Bastet. It is located in a pleasant little square with several restaurants and cafes and an easy walking distance from Ste. Marie to walk to see the historic Romanesque church.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is an inexpensive guided tour (in Spanish only) of the train station but it is not even allowed to do more than walk across the lobby.
If you plan to stay at Canfranc Pueblo make sure to take provisions from the grocery in Canfranc to prepare your meals. There is nowhere to shop or eat a decent meal there, unless you are into deep fried bar food that is served next door 5 nights a week. The only nearby place for buying a few foodie things is at a gas station about 1km up the hill from town.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Attachments

• 20230919_140104.jpg
    20230919_140104.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20230919_111620.jpg
    20230919_111620.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Yes, maybe stay at Canfranc Estación on your way to France and at Canfranc Pueblo on the Camino journey as you are walking back? Agree with the advice about bringing something to cook. The people who run the bar are lovely, but it is only fried racions and drinks. They do have some canned fish items and usually bread for sale behind the counter.

My husband and I will be spending a few days in Barcelona before I start my Camino in May. I am planning to take the train to Zaragoza the same day that he flies home. I plan to spend two nights in Zaragoza, then take the train to Canfranc, then bus to Oloron the next day.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Any recommendations on places to stay in Zaragoza or Oloron-Sainte-Marie?
I would also recommend a stop in Jaca. Barcelona (and Montserrat) and Zaragosa were unforgettable stops when we walked the Camino del Ebro. Jaca and nearby San Juan de la Pena were unforgettable on the Camino Aragones. Oloron was a pleasure because we were starving after a long walk on the Camino Arles and wolfed two amazing crepes each. The portal of the cathedral is also worth visiting there.

There are plenty of affordable accommodations at all these places.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've been looking at bus and train schedules and it looks like service between Canfranc and Oloron-Sainte-Marie is pretty infrequent. Rome2Rio says that there's a bus once a week.

Any suggestions? I was planning on arriving in O-S-M on Monday, May 13.

In Oloron I stayed at the albergue Relias du Bastet. It is located in a pleasant little square with several restaurants and cafes and an easy walking distance from Ste. Marie to walk to see the historic Romanesque church.
Me too. Nice place to stay with free use kitchen and good location!
I've been looking at bus and train schedules and it looks like service between Canfranc and Oloron-Sainte-Marie is pretty infrequent. Rome2Rio says that there's a bus once a week.

There's a bus service that runs between the two, leaving Canfranc Estacion at around 11:30AM. It goes through the tunnel and passes through Urdos, Borce and Sarrance.. I'm pretty sure it's more often than that. I'll see if I can get more info on it..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There's a bus service that runs between the two, leaving Canfranc Estacion at around 11:30AM. It goes through the tunnel and passes through Urdos, Borce and Sarrance.. I'm pretty sure it's more often than that. I'll see if I can get more info on it..
Thank you, I would appreciate that!

Here you go, I was sent just now from local resident:

There are actually four daily buses in that direction, the first three terminate at Bedous, but from there there is a connecting train.

Screenshot_20240205_080750_Samsung Notes.jpg

And the train schedule:
The 11:24 bus will leave you tight for time, but if you take the one at 14:36, you'll have plenty of time and make it to Oloron for 16:20.

When you arrive, the air is often heavy with the smell of chocolate, especially when it's a damp day.. consider it a bonus!

Screenshot_20240205_083756_Chrome.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here you go, I was sent just now from local resident:

There are actually four daily buses in that direction, the first three terminate at Bedous, but from there there is a connecting train.

And the train schedule:
The 11:24 bus will leave you tight for time, but if you take the one at 14:36, you'll have plenty of time and make it to Oloron for 16:20.

When you arrive, the air is often heavy with the smell of chocolate, especially when it's a damp day.. consider it a bonus!
Thank you so much!

I knew that there had to be a way!

Ah, I just see there, you got the same info in different thread, and found the bus schedule elsewhere too.. All is good!

Ah, I just see there, you got the same info in different thread, and found the bus schedule elsewhere too.. All is good!
Yes, but I hadn't seen the train schedule yet - the final piece to the puzzle.

And I so appreciate you taking the time to find this information.

Flog forgot to mention that you can also play his guitar when staying at the Pueblo albergue (unless the authorities finally confiscate it to save the village from his singing….😘)

Me playing a guitar? That would be a first! 😂
It's optional. The guitar wasn't even there when we served 2 summers ago. @Flog brought it with him on a later service time...

However, when we were there in 2022 there was a "rock" concert in the bar next door one night and a big festival one whole weekend with plenty of music by a group dressed as Vikings.

Flog forgot to mention that you can also play his guitar when staying at the Pueblo albergue (unless the authorities finally confiscate it to save the village from his singing….😘)
Hmm, could be a handy impromptu torture to encourage dithering pilgrims to move on and clear the albergue at 8AM though..🤔

It looks like once a day--the #550. 1707262901580.png

It looks like once a day--the #550. View attachment 163572
It looks like I can get to Bedous on the bus, then there's a train that will go to Oloron-Sainte-Marie.

And the train schedule:

View attachment 163473

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think that I have this worked out for Zaragoza to Oloron-Sainte-Marie, assuming that the current train and bus schedules will be in effect in May.

Zaragoza - Canfranc: Train at 8:55 am, arrives at 11:30 am

Canfranc - Bedous: Bus at 14:36, arrrives at 15:16 (I'll have some time to kill in Canfranc)

Bedous - Oloron-Sainte-Marie: Train at 15:52, arrives at 16:20

There's plenty to keep you occupied for a couple of hours around the town apart from the obvious. If you want to view the station from a different perspective, behind the tourist office is a winding trail that climbs steadily giving you fantastic views from the progressively higher miradors. Or the path that runs behind the station past several bunkers, eventually leading up to the Fuerte de Coll de Ladrones.

These are fantastic views that you won't see as you come down off the pass.
1000000518.jpg1000013030.jpg1000013031.jpg

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back