• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Sarria from Madrid

vidya

Time of past OR future Camino
none
Hello all,
I am starting the last 100 km camino from Sarria. I am flying into Madrid and wondering what is the best way to get to Sarria the same day. From what I read so far, getting to Sarria from Santiago de Compostela is a bit complicated and I don't want to get to Sarria in the middle of the night.
Welcome any and all recommendations.
Vidya

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Had friends do the same thing To meet me June, they arrived at MAD early enough to catch a train from Madrid to Sarria, it left a little after 1300 and arrived in Sarria around 1800.
www.renfe.com they have an English page too or, www.raileurope.com. Good luck, Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did the same as Juspassinthrough. There's a later train around 15,00.

I pre-booked tickets and selected seats on www.loco2.com - very easy website to use. Just note that the semi-flexible tickets only allow you to make changes up to the day of travel not actually on the day of travel.

Train directly to Sarria a good option. And I'll second the recommendation to use loco2 ahead of time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there. We also have booked the train from Madrid to sarria. My question is about getting your two stamps. If we arrive after things are closed and leave before things are open, hiw will we obtain our first stamp? We are arriving in sarria about 6pm on sept 14 to begin in sept 15, bright and early.
Thanks in advance!

<<If we arrive after things are closed and leave before things are open, hiw will we obtain our first stamp? We are arriving in sarria about 6pm on sept 14 to begin in sept 15, bright and early.>>

Wherever you stay will have a stamp, get it on your arrival. Next morning, get one at your first coffee stop.

<<If we arrive after things are closed and leave before things are open, hiw will we obtain our first stamp? We are arriving in sarria about 6pm on sept 14 to begin in sept 15, bright and early.>>

Wherever you stay will have a stamp, get it on your arrival. Next morning, get one at your first coffee stop.
Thank you, we haven't made any reservation yet for our first night. Any advice on that? Should we? What's best? Albergue, pension, hotel? I'm thinking pension. Does every place have a stamp? I'm a first timer, can you tell?!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you, we haven't made any reservation yet for our first night. Any advice on that? Should we? What's best? Albergue, pension, hotel? I'm thinking pension. Does every place have a stamp? I'm a first timer, can you tell?!
Yes, every bar, shop, post office or tourist office has a stamp. Maybe it won't be really nice but it's enough for obtaining Compostela. You just get your Credencial stamped in albergue or any other place you will sleep and when stoping for breakfast/lunch/drink get another one. That's it, easy peasy ;)

Buen Camino!

Personally I would make a reservation for that first night.

You'll be arriving in town after most walking pilgrims so many albergues may already be full, and - it's Sarria, where many others like yourself start their Camino, and may well have made reservations, or have arrived in town before you. September is a busy month.

I can't suggest any pensions in Sarria (I stayed at Albergue Don Alvaro), and on another trip I stayed at Pension 108 to Santiago in Barbadelo (4km from Sarria along the Camino) and that was very nice, it's right next to Casa Barbadelo which also has private rooms. Anywhere more than 100km from Santiago still counts for the compostela, so it's a perfectly legitimate starting place.

It will still be light in the evenings, so you could always walk those first few km there, and get a head start in the morning!

Hotel Alfonso IX is very nice, may have substantially discounted room rates, and takes reservations. Check booking.com for your arrival date.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We stayed at the Hotel Aqua Rooms Sarria, right on the Camino and across the street from Iglesia Santa Marina de Sarria where you can get your credential stamped after the Pilgrims Mass and until 8:30 PM I believe. We had 3 people join us in Sarria and they got theirs stamped at the Aqua Rooms Sarria and the Iglesia The Aqua Rooms Sarria is very nice, there were 7 of us so we had the entire place. I room for 3, and 2 doubles with a common area, bath in each room, very nice and it's fair priced, not Albergue price but you're not sleeping with 40 of your closest friends on your first night. Website is www.aquarooms.es and they're available on booking.com as well. Good luck and enjoy every step. Buen Camino!

Personally I would make a reservation for that first night.

You'll be arriving in town after most walking pilgrims so many albergues may already be full, and - it's Sarria, where many others like yourself start their Camino, and may well have made reservations, or have arrived in town before you. September is a busy month.

I can't suggest any pensions in Sarria (I stayed at Albergue Don Alvaro), and on another trip I stayed at Pension 108 to Santiago in Barbadelo (4km from Sarria along the Camino) and that was very nice, it's right next to Casa Barbadelo which also has private rooms. Anywhere more than 100km from Santiago still counts for the compostela, so it's a perfectly legitimate starting place.

It will still be light in the evenings, so you could always walk those first few km there, and get a head start in the morning!
Thanks bunch! I booked at pension estacion for night one. Now I have a bit of a better feeling knowing at least night one is under our belts.

Yes, every bar, shop, post office or tourist office has a stamp. Maybe it won't be really nice but it's enough for obtaining Compostela. You just get your Credencial stamped in albergue or any other place you will sleep and when stoping for breakfast/lunch/drink get another one. That's it, easy peasy ;)

Buen Camino!
Thank you! We did book for night one. So looking forward to this!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did the same as Juspassinthrough. There's a later train around 15,00.

I pre-booked tickets and selected seats on www.loco2.com - very easy website to use. Just note that the semi-flexible tickets only allow you to make changes up to the day of travel not actually on the day of travel.
Got our train tickets!!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back