• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to Sarria from the UK

Baggy

Time of past OR future Camino
Early May 2024
Hi all,
New member here! My brother and me are planning on walking from Sarria to Santiago in May 2024. We don’t want to spend 36 hours travelling so it looks like by air to either Santiago or Madrid and then train onwards? Flying to Madrid will give more options of cheaper flights (?) but i couldnt find an onward train when I did a search Even tho a generic search suggested there was one.
Grateful for suggestions and alternative, we are flexible on time and start dates so is early May a good time?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Fly to Santiago. One direct bus per day from the airport to Sarria. But many more buses to Lugo and change there to another bus for Sarria. The bus company is Monbus.

You probably can't find the train because the schedule isn't yet available for May. I would check the current schedule to get a rough idea.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Usually one direct train per day from Madrid Chamartin. If you use Trainline it will show routes with a transfer for more options.

If you fly to Santiago, arrive in the morning as the bus from the airport to Sarria leaves at 11:15 am. Otherwise you'll need to transfer in Lugo. Several people posted earlier this year that they were arriving on a late flight after buses stopped running. In that case you have to arrange a taxi which can be spendy or spend a night near the airport and take a bus the following day.

Hi all,
New member here! My brother and me are planning on walking from Sarria to Santiago in May 2024. We don’t want to spend 36 hours travelling so it looks like by air to either Santiago or Madrid and then train onwards? Flying to Madrid will give more options of cheaper flights (?) but i couldnt find an onward train when I did a search Even tho a generic search suggested there was one.
Grateful for suggestions and alternative, we are flexible on time and start dates so is early May a good time?
Usually one direct train per day from Madrid Chamartin. If you use Trainline it will show routes with a transfer for more options.

If you fly to Santiago, arrive in the morning as the bus from the airport to Sarria leaves at 11:15 am. Otherwise you'll need to transfer in Lugo. Several people posted earlier this year that they were arriving on a late flight after buses stopped running. In that case you have to arrange a taxi which can be spendy or spend a night near the airport and take a bus the following day.
I caught a very early flight from Stansted to Santiago (Thursday only) in time to catch one once a day direct bus to Sarria. Lunchtime arrival meant a reasonably leisurely walk that afternoon. You can go via Lugo and change buses there.

Hi all,
I’m trying to book the Madrid Sarria train for March, but I think the tickets haven’t been put up yet.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last year I flew from Stansted to Santiago. My flight arrived early evening. I found a reasonably priced hotel in Lavacolla ( booking .com), which was close to the airport. In the morning I caught an early bus to the airport and caught The first bus to Lugo and then the bus to Sarria. I arrived in Sarria late morning. And started on my Camino. It wasn't difficult . My knowledge of Spanish allowed my to buy a beer and that was abut all.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all,
Hello
Last year I flew into Madrid from Birmingham. UK. There was a daily train from Chamartin Station in Madrid to Sarria, at 13.15 arriving about 17.30, To return from SDC to Madrid there is a high speed train with several trains a day. I thing this journey was around 3 hours, If you book in advance the fares are extremely competitive, especially when compared to UK train fares.
Buen Camino
Vince

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back