• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

getting to SJPdP from Pamplona bus station....

M

Mark Lee

Though I have taken the ALSA bus before to Pamplona, I never actually took the bus from there to SJPdP.
I would be arriving there at 3:35 pm. The bus to SJPdP leaves at 5:30 pm. I'd rather not hang around that bus station for two hours. What are the chances of locating a fellow pilgrim(s) who are looking to taxi to SJPdP from there and split the cost?
Any personal experiences out there?
thanks in advance ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I caught the bus. It is so cheap there is no way I could justify a taxi, even a shared one. As the bus went up, up, up, and then down, down, down - I thought, blimey, why am I doing this again! But did not regret it later.

Any personal experiences out there?

Hi Mark, when I leave home for a camino I always carry a secondhand paperback book with me for those long waits while travelling: in the airport, on the plane, at the bus station. By the time I get to my destination the book is almost finished, and as soon as I get a chance I leave it in an albergue for another bookworm to pick up. I have Kindle on my smartphone, but I don’t like to read it for long periods when I can’t charge the phone for a while, as in a bus station; hence the paperback. Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No need to hang around the bus station. Put your backpack into a luggage locker for €4 (or keep it on your back!) and take maybe 10 minutes to walk into the city centre.

Have a beer or wine and some yummy pintxos in Calle San Nicolas before wandering back to the bus station. There will be other pilgrims waiting for the SJPdP bus to talk to by then.

It's only 2 hours!

First congrats on going again :). I just took the bus from Pamplona to SJPP a few weeks ago. I thought it was super easy and would do it again. Not sure if the Alsa bus that you took before dropped you off at the same bus station, but if it does, you may recall it's close to the city center. So as Julia wrote, relax and have a drink/Tapas and the 2 hrs will fly .
On locating pilgrims to share a taxi ride. I was at the bus station about 45 minutes early and yes there were plenty pilgrims waiting there. However most of them already purchased their bus ticket or were in line to do so. You could obviously try, and if it doesn't work you can still take the bus.
I also posted once a taxi share on this forum prior to my trip. That didn't work out.
Buen Camino !

When I was wandering around the Pamplona bus station, 3 wonderful women from Madrid approached me to share a taxi to Roncesvalles,where I too was starting! You never know.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First congrats on going again :). I just took the bus from Pamplona to SJPP a few weeks ago. I thought it was super easy and would do it again. Not sure if the Alsa bus that you took before dropped you off at the same bus station, but if it does, you may recall it's close to the city center. So as Julia wrote, relax and have a drink/Tapas and the 2 hrs will fly .
On locating pilgrims to share a taxi ride. I was at the bus station about 45 minutes early and yes there were plenty pilgrims waiting there. However most of them already purchased their bus ticket or were in line to do so. You could obviously try, and if it doesn't work you can still take the bus.
I also posted once a taxi share on this forum prior to my trip. That didn't work out.
Buen Camino !
Yeah, in all likelihood I'll be taking the bus to SJPdP. I have reservations at an albergue there already arranged, so I'm not concerned about finding accommodations.
I'd be taking the ALSA bus from Madrid airport T4 to Pamplona. I'm under the assumption that the ALSA bus to SJPdP leaves from the same station that I arrive at from Madrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, in all likelihood I'll be taking the bus to SJPdP. I have reservations at an albergue there already arranged, so I'm not concerned about finding accommodations.
I'd be taking the ALSA bus from Madrid airport T4 to Pamplona. I'm under the assumption that the ALSA bus to SJPdP leaves from the same station that I arrive at from Madrid.
I looked it up and yes it is the same bus station.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mark, if you happen to be in Pamplona in the next few days, I can think of something to keep you occupied while waiting for your bus to SJPP:
Put on white t-shirt and a red bandana and walk aimlessly around Pamplona. In case you spot a large animal with two horns approaching you in a fast manner, turn around and start moving in the opposite direction. As fast as you can... :)

encierro-day3-14-1a_360.jpeg

San Fermin/Running of the bulls: Pamplona 4th-16th July 2016

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mark, if you happen to be in Pamplona in the next few days, I can think of something to keep you occupied while waiting for your bus to SJPP:
Put on white t-shirt and a red bandana and walk aimlessly around Pamplona. In case you spot a large animal with two horns approaching you in a fast manner, turn around and start moving in the opposite direction. As fast as you can... :)

encierro-day3-14-1a_360.jpeg

San Fermin/Running of the bulls: Pamplona 4th-16th July 2016
Thanks, I would have happily done that 30 years ago when I was young, foolish and fast. Nowadays molasses flows faster in the winter than I move. I'm afraid I'd end up with hoof-prints all over my back. :D

Thanks, I would have happily done that 30 years ago when I was young, foolish and fast. Nowadays molasses flows faster in the winter than I move. I'm afraid I'd end up with hoof-prints all over my back. :D
It might be motivation to get back to that sub-45 min 10km time:D.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So don't lose track of time and miss the bus! :D
A very Buen Camino to you Mark...being able to do the Frances is better than a sub-45 any day!
Thanks....
I've been to Pamplona 4-5 times before. I'm content to chill out at the bus station for two hours waiting. Besides, I'll be in Pamplona again just a few days after that.

I've been to Pamplona 4-5 times before. I'm content to chill out at the bus station for two hours waiting. Besides, I'll be in Pamplona again just a few days after that.

Five times in Pamplona and you never wanted to check out the incredible Camino del Norte? San Sebastian is just 1 hour away from Pamplona by bus. That's the right place for the youngsters like you :cool:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Five times in Pamplona and you never wanted to check out the incredible Camino del Norte? San Sebastian is just 1 hour away from Pamplona by bus. That's the right place for the youngsters like you :cool:
Youngster? Ummm, I'm 55 years old, but I will definitely take the compliment. :D
Already had my share of partying in foreign ports of call. I'll leave that to the real youngsters now. Besides, I did get pretty pissed in Pamplona when I was there in 2014. :)

A few years ago I started Camino Frances from SJPP in the middle of the summer, and it was Pamplona where I took the bus to San Sebastian and switched to the Norte. I just couldn't stand the crowds any more. I think it was August, and the Camino Frances was like running of the bulls, just without the bulls. I can handle the Camino Frances off season, like in April or October, but the summer is the time of del Norte. This time, in couple of days I'll start from Irun, so we'll be walking on parallel Caminos. I still have to walk the last 21k from Santa Irene to Santiago on Frances in mid-August and meet the stampede... So this might be me who ends up with hoofprints on my back if I don't pay enough attention :)

Hi I'm wondering what your experience was/is taking the ALSA bus from Madrid T4 to Pamplona? I'm looking tom taxi share to SJPP since the ALSA overnight bus arrives in Pamplona at 06:30AM, Ill spend a few hours in P picking up a pair trekking poles, nail clippers etc (not checking my backpack in Ryanair) then would like not to wait till 14:30 to bus it to SJPP, so I can check in to Beiliri albergue and stroll around SJPP to start to Valcarlos next day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi I'm wondering what your experience was/is taking the ALSA bus from Madrid T4 to Pamplona? I'm looking tom taxi share to SJPP since the ALSA overnight bus arrives in Pamplona at 06:30AM, Ill spend a few hours in P picking up a pair trekking poles, nail clippers etc (not checking my backpack in Ryanair) then would like not to wait till 14:30 to bus it to SJPP, so I can check in to Beiliri albergue and stroll around SJPP to start to Valcarlos next day.
I made my ALSA bus reservations online before I left the US and paid with paypal. You even pick your seat on the bus. I made the reservations all the way to SJPdP, and did get there in the afternoon after waiting in the Pamplona bus station a couple of hours. If you can share a taxi, that would definitely be better. Gives you more time in SJPdP.
Riding the ALSA buses is okay. They're comfortable and air conditioned. You walk out of the terminal and board it about 50 meters away, and ALSA does have a kiosk right next to the exit if you have any questions. The bus to Pamplona was pretty full, but you stop in Soria and change buses. The bus station in Soria is small and they park right next to the bus you are changing to. You grab your pack from the luggage hold and put in the bus yourself. The bus from Soria to Pamplona was not full at all. I had a whole row of seats in the back and took a nap. The bus from Pamplona to SJPdP wasn't 100% full either.
All in all, I had a user friendly experience on the buses.

I made my ALSA bus reservations online before I left the US and paid with paypal. You even pick your seat on the bus. I made the reservations all the way to SJPdP, and did get there in the afternoon after waiting in the Pamplona bus station a couple of hours. If you can share a taxi, that would definitely be better. Gives you more time in SJPdP.
Riding the ALSA buses is okay. They're comfortable and air conditioned. You walk out of the terminal and board it about 50 meters away, and ALSA does have a kiosk right next to the exit if you have any questions. The bus to Pamplona was pretty full, but you stop in Soria and change buses. The bus station in Soria is small and they park right next to the bus you are changing to. You grab your pack from the luggage hold and put in the bus yourself. The bus from Soria to Pamplona was not full at all. I had a whole row of seats in the back and took a nap. The bus from Pamplona to SJPdP wasn't 100% full either.
All in all, I had a user friendly experience on the buses.
Thanks, I've made my online ALSA reservation already but because bus arrives in Pamplona at 6:30AM i would like to get over to SJPP, i reserved a pilgrim taxi w option to share, i might meet a fellow pilgrim on the bus if not I'm treating myself to the taxi since I'm a non smoker non drinker. Thanks

I caught the bus. It is so cheap there is no way I could justify a taxi, even a shared one. As the bus went up, up, up, and then down, down, down - I thought, blimey, why am I doing this again! But did not regret it later.
Thanks, Kanga - I wasn't really worried, but your post reassures me a lot! I arrive Pamplona May 22, 2017, so I'll just get to the bus station and wait for the next bus to SJPP. Gracias!

Thanks, I've made my online ALSA reservation already but because bus arrives in Pamplona at 6:30AM i would like to get over to SJPP, i reserved a pilgrim taxi w option to share, i might meet a fellow pilgrim on the bus if not I'm treating myself to the taxi since I'm a non smoker non drinker. Thanks

Two things:

There are as many as 4 buses daily from Pamplona to SJPdP ... depending on the month of travel. Schedule is usually posted not more than 4 weeks in advance. CONDA is the service provider http://www.conda.es/eventos.php?tipo=3&id=438

Why not go ALSA bus from Madrid to San Sebastian? Take ALSA or PESA bus from San Sebastian to Bayonne. Or Renfe Cercanias train to Irun, cross the border and take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne. Then, take SNCF train from Bayonne to SJPdP; there are 4 daily all year.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back