• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to SJPP from Victoria, Aus

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Has anyone here flown from Victoria area?

Where did you fly IN to and out of?
How did you get to SJPP?

Thanks for your help!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've done this twice. First time I flew Melbourne to Madrid via Frankfurt. Stayed in Madrid for three nights to recover from jet-lag, then took the bus from Madrid to Pamplona, and picked up the evening bus to Roncesvalles. While that's where I was stopping, other pilgrims then took the waiting taxi to SJPP.

Second time I flew Melbourne to Paris, via Heathrow and stayed in Paris a couple of nights. Then took the TGV to Bayonne, and local train to SJPP.

Both times I flew Qantas from Australia, and they organised the connecting flights for me.

Hey Annie,

So i'm a little north of you in Brisbane but I my booked flights are from here to Dubai, Dubai to Paris. I'm kicking over in Dubai & Paris for acouple of days each and then catching the train to Bayonne. From there i'm catching a buss to SJPdP.

Getting back to oz i'm going to catch a ryan air flight from SDC to Madrid and then pick up my flights to Dubai & direct to Australia...

All up for the major flights it cost $1900, all Emirates air. If you book early enough you could get it cheaper. The train I have no idea on TGV haven't released prices yet but it should about 30 to 60 euro hope fully the bus ride should be about 30 to 50 euro and ryan air should be the same. So all up an additional 90 to 160 Euro...

You can book yourself and save on travel agent fees or you can go through an agent... most are helpful, to a point.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Trudy said:
I've done this twice. First time I flew Melbourne to Madrid via Frankfurt. Stayed in Madrid for three nights to recover from jet-lag, then took the bus from Madrid to Pamplona...

trudy's done it i think.. I have no idea.

If you are going to SJPP from the Anzac end of the world, it is probably easier to fly into Paris and make the connection to SJPP through Bayonne as Trudy has done. Otherwise to get to somewhere in Spain you almost certainly have to fly into another European hub first, eg Frankfurt as Trudy has also done, then catch a connecting flight. I don't know any airline from this part of the world that flies directly into Madrid or any other city in Spain.
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Emirates and Qatar airlines fly into Madrid and Singapore Airlines fly into Barcelona. I flew into Madrid with Emirates from Melbourne in April this year. It was very good, connection through Dubai. They have an early bird sale on at the moment and via the MSO you can get an even cheaper fare.

We walk a different camino each year but the same flights are taken to europe
Melbourne to Paris , via Singapore on Qantas/ Air France.
Arrive at 6.00am. Get the best flight to Biarritz/Bayonne from Orly or CDG and then the train to SJPDP.
Better to stay 2 nights in St.J
This year we walked the Camino Norte and got the train to San Sebastian from Bayonne/ Biarritz.

On the way home , Santiago to Madrid is always around $100 by plane and stay in that lovely city for a few days rest.
Safe trip
David

MarianneGardner said:
Emirates and Qatar airlines fly into Madrid and Singapore Airlines fly into Barcelona. I flew into Madrid with Emirates from Melbourne in April this year. It was very good, connection through Dubai. They have an early bird sale on at the moment and via the MSO you can get an even cheaper fare.

Last year I flew with Korean Airlines who fly Sydney - Seoul - Madrid. Coming home there was a 12 hour wait in Seoul during which they supplied me with a hotel room. This was a boon, as I cannot sleep on planes, and I caught up on 6 hours sleep. They are the equal of any airline I have flown with, and better than some. Included in these are Quantas, Emirates and Air France. I have to be in Madrid on Sept 24th next year and Korean Air don't have a connection from Seoul that can get me there on that day, which is a shame as their airfare Sydney/Madrid around that time is $1640, if you find the right website.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Singapore Airlines fly to Paris via Singapore. Once again, it is easy to get the TGV to Bayonne and then the local train to SJPDP.
Buen Camino
Sharon

I haven't done it yet but I have booked my tickets - I'm flying Melbourne to Barcelona on Qatar Airways via Doha. (Qatar also fly into Madrid from Melbourne and I think Sydney too) From there I can train or bus to Pamplona and bus or taxi to roncesvalles. Whee!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back