• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gluten and Dairy Free

ktchnofdngr

Time of past OR future Camino
September '13, June '16, July '21, And July '22
So, I'm 22 days away from starting my second Camino, and since the last time I was there, I have had to go dairy free (I was gluten free the last time, and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to find foods that I could eat). Last time, buying hunks of hard cheese were my go-to food for snacking along the way, but that is out this time around. Does anyone have any ideas of what else I could use as trail food along the way (preferably something I can get while there rather than bring from home)?

It isn't life threatening to get dairy, just uncomfortable, as it causes me to become very itchy....I'd like to save cheats for when I accidentally get some dairy, though.

Thanks,

Ruth

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Can you do dried fruit, nuts, or really dark chocolate (with no milk/ lactose)? Rice cakes are abundant here (as you might have munched on your last time here if you were gluten-free)? More stores are also starting to sell hummus now, but I'm not sure how that would be to walk with it. And in the larger stores they're also starting to sell more squeeze applesauce, which is fun and good for quick energy.

Buen Camino!
Faith

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bananas, nuts, protein and energy bars, chorizo. All kinds of options available.

ooh...chorizo! Is it hot like the chorizo I used to get in El Paso? or is it more like salami?

You can get both varieties, dulce and picante ;-) Buen Camino, SY

PS If you see a shop sign Golosinas they often also sell a wide variety of dried fruit and nuts.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.