• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gluten and Dairy Free

ktchnofdngr

Time of past OR future Camino
September '13, June '16, July '21, And July '22
So, I'm 22 days away from starting my second Camino, and since the last time I was there, I have had to go dairy free (I was gluten free the last time, and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to find foods that I could eat). Last time, buying hunks of hard cheese were my go-to food for snacking along the way, but that is out this time around. Does anyone have any ideas of what else I could use as trail food along the way (preferably something I can get while there rather than bring from home)?

It isn't life threatening to get dairy, just uncomfortable, as it causes me to become very itchy....I'd like to save cheats for when I accidentally get some dairy, though.

Thanks,

Ruth

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can you do dried fruit, nuts, or really dark chocolate (with no milk/ lactose)? Rice cakes are abundant here (as you might have munched on your last time here if you were gluten-free)? More stores are also starting to sell hummus now, but I'm not sure how that would be to walk with it. And in the larger stores they're also starting to sell more squeeze applesauce, which is fun and good for quick energy.

Buen Camino!
Faith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bananas, nuts, protein and energy bars, chorizo. All kinds of options available.

ooh...chorizo! Is it hot like the chorizo I used to get in El Paso? or is it more like salami?

You can get both varieties, dulce and picante ;-) Buen Camino, SY

PS If you see a shop sign Golosinas they often also sell a wide variety of dried fruit and nuts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I've just finished the walk about a week ago, and hope my experience/mistake can be of some help to future pilgrims. I spent a day or two in Madrid before and after walking the last 100 km to...
I’m leaving in 11 days for my CP. I live in California and would not drink tap water unless it’s filtered however I remember drinking from plenty of fountains in Spain. Is it the same in Portugal...
Does anyone have news of the man receiving CPR on the Camino yesterday (May 4) just north of San Miguel on the way to Padron? Grateful for the many Pilgrims, including a nurse, who were helping...
Including myself, I have heard of a good few people are experiencing Gastrointestinal issues between Burgos and Ledigos. Anyone else find this and is the situation wider than this area.
Hello all, I’m a first time peregrina walking solo on the Portugues Central route. I have injured my right knee and cannot walk. I can barely hobble right now. Since the weekend is coming up I...
Hi all, It's been a while since I posted here, but happy to be back. I hiked about 100 miles in 2015, loved it, and the Camino got into me and became part of me. That pilgrimage resulted in a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.