• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Going to walk the way

Nancy Heinzen

Time of past OR future Camino
French way September/October 2017
Hi My name is Nancy, I live in Minnesota. I will be arriving in MAD September 5, 2017 with continuing on plans to start in Pamplona on 09/07/17. (Have not bought that ticket yet) anyone else going that way?
I Am 71 so although my daily walks are fairly brisk along the midwest plains I plan to slow down and take it all in, especially looking forward to making new friends I have yet to meet!
Buen Camino

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I carried my father's cremains as an airline carry-on in a wood travel box which was x-ray screened like normal carry-on baggage...then the cremains were set aside for physical inspection because cremains are very dense...so it would be helpful to carry the cremains in a plastic bag (or two) for the TSA physical inspection...but the TSA Inspector told me that many passengers just have the cremains in a plastic bag in their purse, briefcase, or backpack...so cremains are not a problem in the USA...but you will have to ask about the requirements for the European airport inspectors.

Last edited:
I took some of my husband's ashes to Assisi, to the hermitage of Saint Francis. I had a tube of chap stick and took the chap stick out and put in ashes. No problems, and to me a very small amount was the same as a little amount. He will be doing the camino with me also. Nancy I am 70 and am also starting in Pamplona, but in April. Buen Camino. Linda

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you @Nancy Heinzen, @Kurt Huffman and @lmsundaze for these posts.

I am planning to take with me in April a small container that used to hold my wife's pills to take a token amount of her ashes. It is translucent brown with a screw cap. I also have the certificates from the crematorium and undertaker, though these will be scanned as PDFs.

And will try to remember to put it out with my sunscreen and all purpose washing liquid bottles for inspection at pre-boarding screenings.

PS: What is a TSA?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I am planning to take with me in April a small container that used to hold my wife's pills to take a token amount of her ashes. It is translucent brown with a screw cap. I also have the certificates from the crematorium and undertaker, though these will be scanned as PDFs.

And will try to remember to put it out with my sunscreen and all purpose washing liquid bottles for inspection at pre-boarding screenings.

Alwyn, since ashes aren't a liquid they do not require scanning. I don't know about Spain but it may not be legal to transport ashes. If you take a small amount in something not obtrusive you should be fine.

Transportation Security Administration
https://www.tsa.gov
(Those who inspect our carry ons and xray our bags).
The web site has all the allowed details.

Thank you for mentioning the accompanying documents, Others who have responded didn't mention taking them, however I still need to find out the rules in France and Spain to bring cremains in your pack. I plan to use snack size baggies, two inside another baggie for protection and less weight, easy to get out. Thank you for your input and buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for you input Kurt, when you arrived in Spain or wherever in Europe did the customs inspect what you had in your bag? Assuming you need to provide some type of declaration I just wanted to know if that is what they do. Thank you, Nancy

Thank you for you input Kurt, when you arrived in Spain or wherever in Europe did the customs inspect what you had in your bag? Assuming you need to provide some type of declaration I just wanted to know if that is what they do. Thank you, Nancy
I carried my father's cremains as an airline carry-on in a wood travel box which was x-ray screened like normal carry-on baggage...then the cremains were set aside for physical inspection because cremains are very dense...so it would be helpful to carry the cremains in a plastic bag (or two) for the TSA physical inspection...but the TSA Inspector told me that many passengers just have the cremains in a plastic bag in their purse, briefcase, or backpack...so cremains are not a problem in the USA...but you will have to ask about the requirements for the European airport inspectors.

@nancy - I flew with my father's cremains from Colorado to Michigan...I had the paperwork in the box with his cremains but the TSA Inspector recognized cremains and did not look at the paperwork...I don't know about the airline rules in Europe...but I flew with about 20-pounds of cremains in the USA without any problems.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back