• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Good hotel in Santiago

emilene

I know there are a million hotels in Santiago but I'd appreciate a personal recommendation for a 3 or 4 star hotel near the cathedral. Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
emilene said:
I know there are a million hotels in Santiago but I'd appreciate a personal recommendation for a 3 or 4 star hotel near the cathedral. Thank you!

Emilene,

In SdC the recently renovated seminary San Martin Pinario which faces the north side of the cathedral has rooms for both pilgrims and tourists. Their web site is http://www.sanmartinpinario.eu/. My private single pilgrim room with heat, bathroom and buffet breakfast was 23€ last December. After walking 50 days and staying in coed pilgrim dorms this was pure luxury!

Buen Camino!

Margaret

mspath said:
emilene said:

Emilene,

In SdC the recently renovated seminary San Martin Pinario which faces the north side of the cathedral has rooms for both pilgrims and tourists. Their web site is http://www.sanmartinpinario.eu/. My private single pilgrim room with heat, bathroom and buffet breakfast was 23€ last December. After walking 50 days and staying in coed pilgrim dorms this was pure luxury!

Buen Camino!

Margaret
I second that. It's a great place, and really nicely converted. I've only stayed on the pilgrim floor (still 23 Euros) but I think someone told me the other floors were about 75 Euros. There's a website, so just Google it!

Buen Camino!

Edit: Sorry Margaret, I didn't notice you'd already posted the website! I was watching the football. :oops:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
emilene said:

Hola - assuming you are looking for a 3 or 4 star hotel near the cathedral and not a hostal or pilgrim accommdation the Hotel San Francisco is 4 * http://www.sanfranciscohm.com/ and is the nearest in that class to the cathedral I think. But I think the point others were making is that you possibly don't need to go to the expense of 4* hotel in the centre as there are many excellent smaller boutique hotels such as the Alta Air http://www.altairhotel.net/ or Costa Vela http://www.costavella.com/ or the modern http://www.mourehotel.com/ Santiago also has a huge number of hostals with prices ranging from 25 - 40€ for a room plus private bathroom and breakfast.

Good luck!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
JohnnieWalker said:
is a 5* hotel which wasn't what was asked...but never mind. http://www.parador.es/es/parador-de-san ... compostela

I had dinner there the other evening and it was the worst experience I've had for along time. I wouldn't give it any business - the service is dreadful and there are far better hotels in Santiago if people wishes to pay Parador prices.

Hope you told them so!
Complained about my bananas today, (2 weeks later, got given new bananas)

JohnnieWalker said:
I had dinner there the other evening and it was the worst experience I've had for along time. I wouldn't give it any business - the service is dreadful and there are far better hotels in Santiago if people wishes to pay Parador prices.

Johnnie...I fully agree. Pompous and bad uncaring service not worthy of a truck stop.
Food quality and presentation not up to a normal standard let alone a "rated 5 star" restaurant.
Priced as if it were really a quality place.
Somehow I have the feeling these are government employees...is that possible?
I feel very sorry for the Pilgrims who spend a lot of money there to celebrtheirhier accomplishment and are so disappointed. I have heard these same comments from many pilgrims.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Abbeydore said:
Hope you told them so!
Complained about my bananas today, (2 weeks later, got given new bananas)
How do you know the new bananas won't arrive for 2 weeks if you just complained today? What was wrong with them anyway? Am I missing something? :D

Buen Camino!

grayland said:
Johnnie...I fully agree. Pompous and bad uncaring service not worthy of a truck stop.Food quality and presentation not up to a normal standard let alone a "rated 5 star" restaurant.
Priced as if it were really a quality place.
Somehow I have the feeling these are government employees...is that possible?
I feel very sorry for the Pilgrims who spend a lot of money there to celebrtheirhier accomplishment and are so disappointed. I have heard these same comments from many pilgrims.

The Paradors in Spain are indeed owned and run by the government!

As of 2011 there are 93 Parador hotels in total operating in every Autonomous Region of Spain except the Balearic Islands. The Spanish hotel chain owned and operated exclusively by the Spanish state, plans to grow to over 100 hotels in the coming years.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I "third" San Martin! We were brought there by one a Spanish teacher from Bilbao who became part of our "Camino family" . LUXurious. Sheets were divine and the small "blanket" at the end of the bed was so nice that my friend wore it as a shoulder wrap out to dinner that night!

Thank you everyone - you've given me loads of wonderful info. I'll be visiting all the websites now - thanks also for the honesty regarding the Parador - what a shame! I don't quite have the budget for that particular hotel but did consider it at one stage as I hope to arrive in Santiago on a rather notable birthday and a treat might have been in order... What a shame it would be to have a bad (& costly!) experience. Thanks a mil again - much appreciated!

[quote="JohnnieWalker
The Paradors in Spain are indeed owned and run by the government![/quote]

I should make myself more clear...I have stayed over the years in most of the Paradors in Spain and this is the only one that I find fault with. The others are outstanding and well worth staying in. Both Paradors in Santo Domingo are great.
The Santiago Parador has a unearned snob factor among the employees. This is a pretty wide spread opinion among those who have stayed or had dinner there. It is truly a shame.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My room in the Parador was excellent. The price included the 20E breakfast for two persons, so the room cost $125 for two. The breakfast buffet is the best in the world in my opinion. I did not eat other meals there. There are too many good restaurants in Santiago to eat hotel food. Hotel food is to food as military music is to music! :D

Got to agree with the San Martin comments. I didn't know there was such a thing as a pilgrims floor so just booked in to a single room last week for 65 Eur incl breakfast. Lovely place.
Another option that I really liked was the Hotel Fonte de San Roque which has very nice rooms which make up for the astonishingly spartan breakfast (unlike the SM by the way, the breakfast there is good)....

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pieces said:
can you not prebook the pilgrims floor at St Martins ?
I'm not sure if you can book. I've always just turned up and not had a problem even on Easter Sunday. I don't know if there's any limit on how many nights you stay, but the last time I think I stayed 3 nights no problem.

I don't know if the 'pilgrim's floor' is actually called that by the staff - that's just how I refer to it. These are sparsely furnished and some have bunks but are en suite and have nice sheets and towels etc. The other floors are real 'hotel' rooms. When I've turned up they've known exactly where to put me without asking! :D

Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
falcon269 said:
My room in the Parador was excellent. The price included the 20E breakfast for two persons, so the room cost $125 for two. The breakfast buffet is the best in the world in my opinion. I did not eat other meals there. There are too many good restaurants in Santiago to eat hotel food. Hotel food is to food as military music is to music! :D

Hola Falcon - Pilgrims ask about the cost of the Parador from time to time. Do I understand correctly that you paid 125$ for a room and 2 x 40$ for breakfast i.e 165$ for 2 people or 145$ for one person. I understand that the cost of breakfast is included in the price even if you don't have it.
There are different levels of rooms in the Parador - was this the standard?

Thanks

San Martin Pinario - I'm meeting with them about a group booking later and I'll ask about the number of pilgrim rooms, reservations etc and let everyone know.

John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think falcon found a 'deal' on the internet, & yes included breakfast.
I personally was not allowed to walk within 50 feet of the front door :lol:

We stayed @ Hotel Suso, 2 nights + breakfasts & other coffees & more Santiago Tarts & wonderful service & didn't kick us out early in the morn, under $90 euros. Would stay again :D

I went over to the Hospederia San Martin Pinario a few minutes ago and they showed me round. As well as being a regular hotel they have an entire floor with 60 rooms for pilgrims.

The charges are as follows:

Single room: 23 euros

2 person room: 38 euros

4 person room: 60 euros

All rooms have a private toilet and shower. Breakfast is included.

Pilgrims were just walking in when I was there and booking rooms. They are given a ticket, allowed to leave their rucksacks in the hotel left luggage and have access to the rooms at1pm.

The hotel PREFERS reservations which can either be made by telephone or by e mail. You need to be clear you want to book a Pilgrim Room. Contact details here:

http://www.sanmartinpinario.eu/

The rooms are simple and basic but very clean and warm - 30 seconds from the Cathedral.

JohnnieWalker said:
The rooms are simple and basic but very clean and warm - 30 seconds from the Cathedral.
Thanks John.

That's exactly what I like about the place. The pilgrim rooms and corridors still have the feel of the building's previous use, but you have access to the hotel facilities. I also like the cloisters and courtyards as you go in to the reception.

I think Emilene might prefer one of the hotel rooms for her birthday treat though!

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
165$ for 2 people
"Best price" on the internet; lower than Five Night Card, Golden Days, or Young Persons. It popped up when I made reservations. I was expecting just the 30% senior discount, which currently is 196E per night for a double. I asked about the strange internet behavior, and the concierge said it was because the senior discount is on the full-price for the room, so the instantaneous special was a better rate. I was a bit put off by the subterfuge, but in the end, the rate was quite reasonable for what I got -- a spectacular room looking out on the cloisters, and the best breakfast in the world. Yes, you pay for the breakfast regardless. I would have gone for the breakfast even if I had stayed in Hostal Suso, which I have done a couple of times.

The Five Night Card for all Paradores is 105E per night, double occupancy, for five nights in any Parador with limited availability by reservation only. There is a 55E "supplement" in Santiago, making the rate 160E for two including breakfast, pretty close to the rate I actually got. With the card, you could use one night in Santo Domingo, one in Leon, one in Villafranca, and two in Santiago, and live rather well on the Camino. Santo Domingo was completo when I was there, so the big price discount is gainsay based on the limited availability of the various discounts.

It all sounds a bit like a government operation, where the art is in the deal!

We stayed at the parador last year for our wedding anniversary [complimentary fruit, cava and chocolates in the room] and could not fault it, we paid 150€ a night for a double standard room bed and breakfast booked through the parador website, sometimes offers are there. We also stayed at the parador in Ferrol at the start of the Camino Ingles for a double room for 53.40€. This year we emailed San Martin Pinario and stayed there rate 62€ b&b for a normal twin room. It was excellent, warm, comfortable and good position.

I've used the 5 night card for Paradores in Spain and they are excellent value. For frequent visitors consider becoming an "Amigo of the Paradores" - you only have to have checked in once to qualify. With an "Amigo card" you are entitled to a frequent users discount and also special offers.

However for those seeking pilgrim accommodation (see above) the 4th floor of San Martin Pinario remains the best value in Santiago!

I think actually I would rather the San Martins and then save the parador for some other experience, also i hear that san martin has a court yard spacious enough for a marching band and a proper tatoo...

Pieces said:
I think actually I would rather the San Martins and then save the parador for some other experience, also i hear that san martin has a court yard spacious enough for a marching band and a proper tatoo...
...more often for a sneaky cigarette, I suspect. Really nice, though.

K

Johnnie Walker:
Thanks for the information. I know you are helping a lot of people with this info. One more time thank you. Jorge
PS: This time I will try to meet you (Around end of September) I own you one for last year (lost of Compostela). Buen Camino

For us the Hostal Linares on Rua Algalia do Abaixo. Very friendly and helpful, reasonable prices.
Tel +34 981 580 443.

Like Johnnie we tried the parador last year, but just for a coffee and said 'never again'. Couldn't be bothered with us.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Couldn't be bothered with us.
I found the welcome cordial whether I was a guest in the Parador hotel, or a drop-in diner, but it clearly is not a place where you walk up to a table and ask if you can join them, which I have done hundreds of times in pilgrim places, including Casa Manolo just up the street. The thing about the Santiago Parador is that it once was a pilgrim hospital and has a very nice cloister. They have put up signs saying the cloister is for hotel guests only. I did find that much more off-putting than anything else. I had brunch one time when a fellow pilgrim just ignored the signs and toured the cloister. No one said anything!

I stayed - in Hotel Compostella ( last thursday 17 May) it is in the Plaza Galcia about 10/15 walk from Cathedral, it was very good, staff helpful, clean.

Carol H

carolh said:
I stayed - in Hotel Compostella ( last thursday 17 May) it is in the Plaza Galcia about 10/15 walk from Cathedral, it was very good, staff helpful, clean.
Handy for the airport bus too.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know that just about evey hotel in Santiago has now been recommended but just to finish it off, I stayed at the PR Hortas last week. This is 153 metres (as the Pilgrim walks) from the front door of the Parador and on the Rua Hortas (Finisterre Route). It is uphill on the way to the square but does mean that you can roll back in the evening :roll: . I would definitely stay there again some time.

30 Euros for a single with bathroom and also available through booking.com with free cancellation up to 2 days before check-in.

Cheers
Mig

A big thank you once again for all the great advice - hotel is now booked and I have 6 days left before leaving for Spain. I'm nursing a 'mother-of-the-bride's-new-shoes' blister on my foot after my youngest got married on Saturday but other than that, excitement is mounting! I look forward to meeting some of the forum members along the route - thank you again for all the valuable advise posted here week after week!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back