• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Google Map from start to finish

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017)
Greetings, I have been searching Google Map for the full route of the Camino and I've come up with nothing which seems odd. I'm not looking to use it for actual navigating but rather a up date for my contact people who I want to stay in touch with and for a general idea of where I'm heading to and how far. I use this on my phone and in other journeys it's been quite nice to have.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Did as you instructed, they down-loaded just fine but of course Windows won't open it on my computer.

Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.

File Type: Unknown

Description: Windows does not recognize this file type.

You may search the following Web site for related software and information:
  • Search the web

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just Google how to open this type of file on Google Earth, they won't open directly.
Did as you instructed, they down-loaded just fine but of course Windows won't open it on my computer.

Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.

File Type: Unknown

Description: Windows does not recognize this file type.

You may search the following Web site for related software and information:
  • Search the web

If you use a smartphone you could download one of the Camino apps like MiCamino which give route information and display the route as an overlay on Google Maps.

Have a look at the sequence of photos below on how to open the .gpx files on Google Earth.
On the Google Earth screen click: file, then open, go to file where you have saved download files, on the dropdown menu choose "all files", choose a file to open the click "open, choose settings I have shown and "ok" this will now show you the track on Google Earth.
Hope this helps.Ashampoo_Snap_2016.04.20_13h29m20s_004_.png Ashampoo_Snap_2016.04.20_13h30m53s_005_.png Ashampoo_Snap_2016.04.20_13h33m30s_006_.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you use a smartphone you could download one of the Camino apps like MiCamino which give route information and display the route as an overlay on Google Maps.
I just now downloaded MiCamino- a bit reluctant as it wants access to my camera and photos- I looked at the map but I haven't a clue as to how to overlay that onto Google Maps

Another way to do it is to download the app Google EARTH (not Google MAPS) to your computer or phone first, and then open a kmz or other compatible file -- for example the files that can be found at this thread.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-and-travel-the-camino-in-google-earth.12695/

As an FYI for all of you armchair Camino hikers, Google Earth now has 360 degree street level views along the Camino between at least SJPP and Roncesvalles, so you can probably get a better view than when I hike it on this rainy weekend....

Dov,

Please check your Conversation box!! Within the box is a handy map.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have a look at the sequence of photos below on how to open the .gpx files on Google Earth.
On the Google Earth screen click: file, then open, go to file where you have saved download files, on the dropdown menu choose "all files", choose a file to open the click "open, choose settings I have shown and "ok" this will now show you the track on Google Earth.
Hope this helps.View attachment 25500 View attachment 25501 View attachment 25502
Thank you very much

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Greetings, I have been searching Google Map for the full route of the Camino and I've come up with nothing which seems odd. I'm not looking to use it for actual navigating but rather a up date for my contact people who I want to stay in touch with and for a general idea of where I'm heading to and how far. I use this on my phone and in other journeys it's been quite nice to have.
Hello Dov and welcome to the forum. I had Brierley's guide so I scanned the maps in the front and emailed them to my family and friends. They also used them with Google earth. It became quite an enjoyable armchair experience for them. Buen Camino.

I use Google Maps (with the Street View option) to find the exact places where I took some pictures I like.
It is a kind of hobby; sometimes it gets really challenging, because my recollections, after some years, become a bit fuzzy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh the inane things you do with too much time on your hands and Google Maps Street View. Last year I found the location of the photo at left taken by a travelling companion of me (on CP in Spain).

New Picture.png

The Camino Pilgirm App has a handy 'share' button beneath the map and uses your phone's GPS to send a link by email, Facebook, Dropbox etc to allow the recipient to open Google Maps and see exactly where you are. Sorry all you technophobes out there, but I think this is brilliant:D!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.