• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Greetings from Australia

Time of past OR future Camino
(2021)
Hello! I have been lurking on this forum for a while, and now that I have made sort-of definite plans to walk a Camino, I thought I should join and introduce myself.

I did mostly medieval history and literature at university, and I've been fascinated by the Camino ever since I discovered it had been revived. I'm hoping to walk the Camino Francés in March/April 2021, some of it with my brother and some by myself.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That will be an incredibly busy time, it's a holy year and around Easter, quite the adventure!
Yes, I know it will be busy, but next year doesn't work for me, and it's the best time of year for my family to manage without me for a bit! I'm hoping that by starting in early March, I'll beat the worst of the rush. So much useful information on this forum.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You’ve done the right thing researching on this forum. I walked the Camino Frances in Aug/Sept/Oct (took 6 weeks and one day) and much of the background info I learned here. There’s a lot of info here. I gathered the most useful hints together using copy and paste, creating a composite note, so I had all kinds of info in a single text file on my ipad, which became available on my iphone and I was able to refer to it when needed.
I also used one of the european Sim card sellers in Sydney to buy a SIM card for my phone in advance of the trip. Inserted it when I got to London and had free roaming in France and SPain from then on. Had to extend it as by default they only last one month.
I also included in my text file some hints from seat61.com on how to transfer between train stations in Paris. It worked. I had never been in Paris before, but managed to transit Paris using the Metro and reach the next train, all in under an hour. I only just made it... but that’s good enough!
I also had a file of spanish words, supplementing what I learned on Coffee Break Spanish. There’s a thread here dealing with essential spanish. Rather than copying what I have, compile it yourself and learn a bit as you go.
Good luck, enjoy your planning and preparation. Be brutal when considering what to carry. You will eventually resent every gram over the necessary. I did...
cheers,
Andrew

We walked over lent this year and found a number of things were not open yet. but we did make do and were never stranded. Have fun, be aware that the web site info is not always up to date for the year you are walking in particularly if you are starting early in the year.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
You’ve done the right thing researching on this forum. I walked the Camino Frances in Aug/Sept/Oct (took 6 weeks and one day) and much of the background info I learned here. There’s a lot of info here. I gathered the most useful hints together using copy and paste, creating a composite note, so I had all kinds of info in a single text file on my ipad, which became available on my iphone and I was able to refer to it when needed.
I also used one of the european Sim card sellers in Sydney to buy a SIM card for my phone in advance of the trip. Inserted it when I got to London and had free roaming in France and SPain from then on. Had to extend it as by default they only last one month.
I also included in my text file some hints from seat61.com on how to transfer between train stations in Paris. It worked. I had never been in Paris before, but managed to transit Paris using the Metro and reach the next train, all in under an hour. I only just made it... but that’s good enough!
I also had a file of spanish words, supplementing what I learned on Coffee Break Spanish. There’s a thread here dealing with essential spanish. Rather than copying what I have, compile it yourself and learn a bit as you go.
Good luck, enjoy your planning and preparation. Be brutal when considering what to carry. You will eventually resent every gram over the necessary. I did...
cheers,
Andrew

That's a great idea about cutting and pasting things into a master file. I'll be posting in the Australian section with specific questions about banking and travel insurance.

I'm working my way through the Duolingo Spanish course at the moment. I'm aware it's not really enough all by itself but it's free and convenient. I have a little French and some Latin, which makes it easier.

As for packing, I'm a confirmed one-bagger even for regular travel, and I've got the e-book by @SYates. It's still a while before I plan to start, but I hope to make use of birthdays, sales etc to acquire some of the necessary gear without too much financial outlay.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
cheers,
Andrew
Hello Andrew. My friend and I also finished with one extra day to you. 38 in total.
Started the same time. I agree with all your preparation advice. It is amazing how you learn to do "without".

Hello! I have been lurking on this forum for a while, and now that I have made sort-of definite plans to walk a Camino, I thought I should join and introduce myself.

I did mostly medieval history and literature at university, and I've been fascinated by the Camino ever since I discovered it had been revived. I'm hoping to walk the Camino Francés in March/April 2021, some of it with my brother and some by myself.
Greeetings from another Aussie from Western Australia. If you are at all interested, I run an Australia wide fb group....Australian Pilgrims on the Camiino beyond. Please contact via private message if interested. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back