• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Group camino advice

Time of past OR future Camino
travelling from SJPP in early May 2014
I am organising a group camino for September 2018, Probably starting at Villafranca del Bierzo , covering 10=12 miles daily. There will be 10-12 in the group. Advice re travelling from USA, which airport and onwards to Villafranca. hostels you recommend and maintaining group coherence would be welcome.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You might want to look into going with one of the many tour groups that organize groups trips. They have the contacts and experience. It would be quite a bit for one person to try and organize by themselves. Just my two cents:)

Albergue Leo in Villafranca is where we stayed and I highly recommend it. Lovely old Spanish home run by a delightful family.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
... Advice re travelling from USA, which airport and onwards to Villafranca. ...
Hi, Robert,

Depends which part of USA you are coming from. For example there are 135€ (one way!!!) tickets for Norwegian Air direct flight from Oakland to London Heathrow for May 2018 (and then low cost flight to Spain) but you can pay much more depending from and to where you want to fly.

Last edited:
Madrid airport, then ALSA buses to Leon (stop in the same terminal, T4), and from there a connection to Villafranca.
For a 10 people group, reservation is a must. Yes, organizing this kind of group will be toilsome, but tour companies are very, very expensive.
I second the recommendation of Albergue Leo, in Villafranca. Good premises, kind people.
Next day, I suggest Pequeño Potala, in Ruitelan. Very good communal dinner.
Buen camino!

Concerning group coherence: If some members get injured and cannot walk (or they just get tired of the pilgrimage) they could take cabs between your planned stops or perhaps take one to Santiago to wait for the group there. You, as leader, will probably want to tell the group members that the transportation will be paid for by the member and any meals and lodging at places other than what you had planned will be an additional cost to the member also. Depending on how flexible you can be (or want to be) you might be able to reimburse the member the planned lodging costs. Also you want to make it clear who will arrange any unplanned lodging (you group might expect this to be your job.)

P.S. I'm another happy customer of Leo's. Besides the albergue I think he may have something a bit fancier in town too. Inquire.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jsalt I believe is organising a group Camino, on the same route but not from USA.. She has been posting on here recently. If you can locate her via the board she may be able to offer advice.

I think how you organize your group really depends on how you all want to walk the Camino. Is it important that you all stay together? Do you want to walk together each day or is it ok to split up and them meet up down the road? Do you want to all stay at the same place or at least the same town each night? Or are you ok going at different paces and ending up in different places? Booking through a group that organizes pilgrimages is probably the easiest solution if you all want to stay together each night. Alternately, you can choose the stops ahead of time and book them for your group - private alberques, casa rurales, and hotels accept advanced reservations. Otherwise if you are all ok with going at your own pace - starting together and meeting up 10-12 days later in Santiago, then no real planning is required - just get there and start walking - people will end up where they end up each day and eventually get to Santiago.

We walked with a group last year - more or less together. Most of the group started in Saint Jean and my husband and I met up with them in Burgos. We had booked the first 3 nights after our arrival in Burgos so the group could stay together, then we all just went at our own pace. We all ran into each other many times along the way, but didn't stay in the same towns each night - sometimes yes, sometimes no. We all got to Santiago within a couple days of one another.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Group cohesion is a difficult thing. Some walk slower than others, some are in better shape. I and 6 others walked mid-May through June. We rarely walked the day together because of walking a pace that's comfortable for each Pilgrim. As we walked, we generally caught up after 6-10 km at a bar for second breakfast or lunch. We always caught up at the Albergue. There's an added benefit, everyone gets to meet a lot of different people. Reservations are a must for your peace of mind. Whatever you do, enjoy every step. Buen Camino!

Robert,

If your group does start in Villafranca, I would suggest Albergue de la Piedra. The Hispitaleros speak very good English and were very helpful when we were there in June. We reserved via email and I would suggest emailing them about your group if you choose not to use an outfitter. They may have some suggestions on connections as well. Beautiful town, interesting structure and a nice walk to O Cebriero if you go further than 10-12. Beware of poop from various 4 legged animals

http://alberguedelapiedra.com/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Madrid airport, then ALSA buses to Leon (stop in the same terminal, T4), and from there a connection to Villafranca.
For a 10 people group, reservation is a must. Yes, organizing this kind of group will be toilsome, but tour companies are very, very expensive.
I second the recommendation of Albergue Leo, in Villafranca. Good premises, kind people.
Buen camino!

Thanks really helpful. Do you have a web address for the bus /train companies that I can contact. I too enjoyed the Potala.
Buen camino!
I think how you organize your group really depends on how you all want to walk the Camino. Is it important that you all stay together? Do you want to walk together each day or is it ok to split up and them meet up down the road? Do you want to all stay at the same place or at least the same town each night? Or are you ok going at different paces and ending up in different places? Booking through a group that organizes pilgrimages is probably the easiest solution if you all want to stay together each night. Alternately, you can choose the stops ahead of time and book them for your group - private alberques, casa rurales, and hotels accept advanced reservations. Otherwise if you are all ok with going at your own pace - starting together and meeting up 10-12 days later in Santiago, then no real planning is required - just get there and start walking - people will end up where they end up each day and eventually get to Santiago.

We walked with a group last year - more or less together. Most of the group started in Saint Jean and my husband and I met up with them in Burgos. We had booked the first 3 nights after our arrival in Burgos so the group could stay together, then we all just went at our own pace. We all ran into each other many times along the way, but didn't stay in the same towns each night - sometimes yes, sometimes no. We all got to Santiago within a couple days of one another.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am organising a group camino for September 2018, Probably starting at Villafranca del Bierzo , covering 10=12 miles daily. There will be 10-12 in the group. Advice re travelling from USA, which airport and onwards to Villafranca. hostels you recommend and maintaining group coherence would be welcome.
When you get to Your location do a small walk to Trabadelo and stay with Casa Susi she is an Australian and has walked the Camino many times her information will be invaluable and the 7 km will give you time to assess pace and pack restrictions not to mention a nice easy shake out walk and a brilliant English speaking Hostelero Tell her Mick the Ausssie sent you

Thanks really helpful. Do you have a web address for the bus /train companies that I can contact. I too enjoyed the Potala.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks this is really helpful. I need to contact the members and see what their preferences are. I would like them to experience an authentic camino journey. To me that means personal freedom, companionship as and whenSome levels of uncertainty re . An organised tour does not offer this I suspect.

I wish you the best with your endeavor, however I am curious why you don't have the people with you just have the responsibility of finding a place as they move along?Since everyone's pace is so different? Just curious..
Keith
We are a group of alumni from the Living School in Albuquerque Being together is part of the deal , accommodating different paces, personalities and needs for solitude is also part of it. Avoiding chaos is in the thinking somewhere!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are a group of alumni from the Living School in Albuquerque Being together is part of the deal , accommodating different paces, personalities and needs for solitude is also part of it. Avoiding chaos is in the thinking somewhere!
You may find this to be more difficult, a bit like herd control of cats. By just letting it flow all the way to Santiago individually each person will have the independence that makes the Camino so special yet still have the group to share the experience. In any case you may find this happens naturally.
Buen Camino
Keith

Just to ask also :
If I were in your shoes I would be more concerned of how the group will deal with a person who cannot continue do to injuries. It does not take much to stop a Camino.
Keith

Hello,
I organized a similar tour for a group of 8 from Leon in 2015. It would have been more than double the price to use a tour company, and was not difficult. Hotel or pensions were booked ahead ( 6 months) on booking.com. Bag transport was arranged for some of the group on Jacotrans. We found it best to be fluid some people like to walk alone, some are faster, and one injured person took cabs when needed. We had dinner together each day, and compared the stories of the day, lots of camaraderie. We would often invite someone who was alone to join us for dinner, which added another element. You can PM me if you want our list of hotels or more info

We've seen several groups come through that have stayed cohesive, and wherein each member was able to have their own pilgrimage experience as well. I think the key is, as @auburnfive mentioned above, to have people walk alone or in small groups during the day but then stay in the same accommodation every night and have some group time in the evening, talking and sharing. Recently we met a group of 15 who'd recently walked from Astorga over 12 days.

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino to your entire group!
Faith

Most read last week in this forum

Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back