• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Half and Half - Portuguese routes

JoJoPee

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Good day all

Pilgrims I need your advise. I’m planning my first Camino Portugal.
I want best of both world meaning I would like to do half inland and half costal. Which half is better? For example, inland protgual and coastal Spain?
Thanking you in advance.
Jo

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Huh? Or to put it more bluntly…HUH?!?!! Are you suggesting you do part of one Camino and then switch to another? If so, then no…just…no.

Choose a path to walk. You’ll meet people. You won’t want to leave, embrace a region you won’t want to abandon, and adopt a frame of mind that you won’t want to disrupt.

If you are saying that you want a mixture of costal and inland walking, then either the Norte or the Portuguese can fulfill that for you without having to fully switch routes. The former is much longer and more difficult, while the latter is simpler and has waaaaay better food! 😎

I get the impression lots of folks combine the Portuguese Coastal or Littoral & Central routes. I'm going to do 2 days Littoralv& switch to Central at Vila do Conde as I've read the Littoral is the nicest way out of Porto. Others carry on further north up the coastal & switch to the central around Vigo.

Another option us to switch further north around Pontevedra to the Variante Espiritual which adds around 20 km more to the total length but is supposed to be really beautiful. Some English peregrinos I met a couple of weeks ago recommended this.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walking the CP from Porto there is the opportunity to leave Porto on any of four routes, but if one does choose to leave on the Litoral or Coastal routes, there is the option of walking across to the Central route in a number of places. These two routes will join the Central route eventually in any case. As for what is best, well the OP has given not hint to what things she might be considering here, and unless someone is one of those who has walked several of the routes north of Porto, most of us wouldn't have practical experience on which to base such advice anyhow.

Further north, there is the option of doing the Variante Espiritual, which I do think is worth considering as an alternative to the traditional route going north from Pontevedra.

I did like the walk out of Porto, along the sea to Vila the Conde. To be honest I did not like the inland route very much. Much asfaltwalking on roads with narrow shoulders, much cobblestones. Of course there were beautifull stretches too and staying at Casa de Fernanda. The Variante Spiritual I liked very much, the landscape, much less crowded than the central after Tui and the boatride. ( Be sure to wear warm clothes if you take a boat that leaves before the sun has risen above the hills)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Good day all

I want best of both world meaning I would like to do half inland and half costal. Which half is better? For example, inland protgual and coastal Spain?
Thanking you in advance.
Jo
I did just a bit Coastal and came inland at Vila do Conde. But that doesn't get you half and half. You could come inland later from Caminha to Valença or Tui, but you'd miss some of the best parts of the Central.

One option to consider is to follow the river and the seashore from Porto on the Senda Litoral up to Vila do Conde, switch over to the Central there and follow the Central to Valença or Tui, and then switch back to the Coastal and follow the Coastal in Spain the rest of the way until the two join in Redondela. I've heard that this would be a "half and half" Camino and that the Spanish coastline is really nice which would make that a "best of both" Camino. But it does mean two crossovers instead of just one.

Huh? Or to put it more bluntly…HUH?!?!! Are you suggesting you do part of one Camino and then switch to another? If so, then no…just…no.

Choose a path to walk. You’ll meet people. You won’t want to leave, embrace a region you won’t want to abandon, and adopt a frame of mind that you won’t want to disrupt.

If you are saying that you want a mixture of costal and inland walking, then either the Norte or the Portuguese can fulfill that for you without having to fully switch routes. The former is much longer and more difficult, while the latter is simpler and has waaaaay better food! 😎
You say this like it is unheard of or frowned upon by the community. I don't believe this is the case. Many people leave Porto on the Senda Litoral and then switch to the Coastal or Central. Many people start on the Norte and switch to the Primitivo, or start on the Frances and then switch to the San Salvador or the Invierno. There are many, many more such examples. The Caminos and signage are set up to support this with the connecting routes fully signed.

The suggestion to embrace a region and not want to leave or abandon it seems to challenge longer Caminos. Sure, embrace the regions. But the essence of many Caminos is to walk from one region to another: we leave the Pyrenees behind for the vineyards of La Rioja, which we leave for the plains of the Meseta, etc.

You say "no...just...no". My experience on the Portugues after Porto is "yes...just...yes" to taking the fork that will lead to the path you want, even if it is a route variant that has a different name than the one you've been on.

You say this like it is unheard of or frowned upon by the community. I don't believe this is the case. Many people leave Porto on the Senda Litoral and then switch to the Coastal or Central. Many people start on the Norte and switch to the Primitivo, or start on the Frances and then switch to the San Salvador or the Invierno. There are many, many more such examples. The Caminos and signage are set up to support this with the connecting routes fully signed.

The suggestion to embrace a region and not want to leave or abandon it seems to challenge longer Caminos. Sure, embrace the regions. But the essence of many Caminos is to walk from one region to another: we leave the Pyrenees behind for the vineyards of La Rioja, which we leave for the plains of the Meseta, etc.

You say "no...just...no". My experience on the Portugues after Porto is "yes...just...yes" to taking the fork that will lead to the path you want, even if it is a route variant that has a different name than the one you've been on.
I was trying to decipher if they meant walking the CP the entire way or we’re planning to walk the CP coast and then switch over to the CF or a different route - kind of a “best of” journey.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good day all

Thanking you in advance.
Jo
Hi Jo, the first half from Porto to Caminha at the coast is lovely with a lot of wonderful views, charming small villages (like Fão) and the relaxing noises from atlantic ocean all time at your side. Than I would recommend to go along the river Miño (border to Spain) till Valença, where you meet the central way, cross the river to resch Spain and continue via Tui, Porriño, Redondela, Padron to Santiago. i took this way in June and I think, that was one of my best decisions in this summer. Alternatively you can take the spiritual way, but there I don‘t have any personal experiences. Buen Caminho, Wolfinho

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.