• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Half considering a route change to the Ingles

Cbok82

Time of past OR future Camino
September 18
Due to fly out to Santiago on 4th of September. I was all set on starting in Sarria but I've been put off by various comments on the forum and watching MANY YouTube videos. I'm not sure if I will get the experience of the Camino on this route?? And I know a lot of veterans consider the Sarria route as a tourist Camino? Unfortunately work and family life don't permit me at this time to start in SJDPP.

I researched getting to O cebriero/ Triacastela and walking from there in my time frame but flight times and bus times on my arrival day just don't work out.

Is it worth changing to the Ingles? Will it be any different? I guess everyone's experience is a personal one but I'm looking an "authentic" Camino experience aas they say and I'm worried I won't get that walking from Sarria.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Due to fly out to Santiago on 4th of September. I was all set on starting in Sarria but I've been put off by various comments on the forum and watching MANY YouTube videos. I'm not sure if I will get the experience of the Camino on this route?? And I know a lot of veterans consider the Sarria route as a tourist Camino? Unfortunately work and family life don't permit me at this time to start in SJDPP.

I researched getting to O cebriero/ Triacastela and walking from there in my time frame but flight times and bus times on my arrival day just don't work out.

Is it worth changing to the Ingles? Will it be any different? I guess everyone's experience is a personal one but I'm looking an "authentic" Camino experience aas they say and I'm worried I won't get that walking from Sarria.
Then take into consideration all of them (100km into Santiago), make a bit of research and then decide:
- Norte
- Primitivo
- Frances
- Invierno (Monforte de Lemos)
- Sanabres (Ourense)
- Portugues (Valenca/Tui)
- Fisterra/Muxia circuit (or vice versa)
- Ingles (Ferrol)

Either way you decide I wish you Buen Camino!

I think Sarria gives you a very intense Camino experience. The only thing with that route is that it is the busiest one - which, for me, is not a problem.

If you decide to change, consider Lugo (which is also very easy to access from the SdC airport) or maybe Tui, in the Portuguese route. Lovely food in the latter :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I used to say, the Sarria to Santiago route is fine, bla bla, get a life if you don’t like it, your problem. It IS different but it is lovely.
This year, I was made to eat my words, I hated it.
I could not recommend it, not after what I experienced only a few weeks ago.
But it is only MY opinion. For what it is worth. (Not much, only one person!)
By all means go with it, you may think differently.

The Ingles and the Frances from Sarria are opposite experiences.
You will not meet many other pilgrims on the Ingles, but be overwhelmed by them on the Frances.
An “authentic “ Camino is not a commodity that can be delivered to you.
What you get out of your Camino will depend largely on you and the way you interact with fellow pilgrims.
Maybe best to go for a route which gives you more those opportunities without felling swamped.
Buen camino

Then take into consideration all of them (100km into Santiago), make a bit of research and then decide:
- Norte
- Primitivo
- Frances
- Invierno (Monforte de Lemos)
- Sanabres (Ourense)
- Portugues (Valenca/Tui)
- Fisterra/Muxia circuit (or vice versa)
- Ingles (Ferrol)

Either way you decide I wish you Buen Camino!
I am an advocate for the Sanabre too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Ingles 3 months ago and would certainly recommend it over the CF from Sarria. I walk the Camino for various reasons including contemplation and to "detox" my mind (not needed so much since I retired) I did not find that peace on my last walk from Sarria (2016).

I'm not sure I approve of the revised route alongside the motorway into Sigueiro but even that was preferable to the clamour of Sarria to SdC.

Which ever way you choose - Buen Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Is it worth changing to the Ingles? Will it be any different? I guess everyone's experience is a personal one but I'm looking an "authentic" Camino experience aas they say and I'm worried I won't get that walking from Sarria.[/QUOTE

The ingles was also just recommended to me by a knowledgeable and experienced Spanish pilgrim as an alternative way to get the Compostela (I already did the Portugues and also the Frances before it became so packaged). I’m about to hit the Frances in a couple of days from the very quiet Aragones and intend to walk for several more weeks on the Camino. However, I also re considering my options and perhaps finishing with the ingles. Although the word ‘authentic’ can arguably be interpreted in several ways as it relates to the Camino, my feeling is that what you are expressing here is definitely better found on quieter routes. On the other hand, if this is your first Camino, I suggest you choose one that is reasonably well-serviced such as the Portugues or ingles. Buen Camino.

I'm not sure what it would be like starting in Sarria. For me hitting that point after walking a month with a relatively small population of familiar pilgrims was quite the "culture" shock. It wouldn't say it was bad or good just a bit over whelming for a day or two. I'm sure someone could explain it much better.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
LOVED the walk from Santiago to SdC this past late-May (note: we started far away in Jaca, so we were definitely seasoned by then). Sure, there are a lot of people but that’s easy to avoid by changing the time of day you walk as well as where you stop for meals and to sleep.

If you check your expectations of what the Camino “is supposed to be” and simply experience what YOUR Camino is at that present moment, you will not be disappointed.

Is it worth changing to the Ingles? Will it be any different?
Yes. And yes.
For the reasons people have spoken about above.
Fortunately you don't have to walk from Sarria - there are many other options.
Consider starting in Ourense, on the Sanabres. It's easy to get to - just jump off the Madrid to Santiago train there, and start walking.

I would walk the Ingles with broken glass in my boots rather than walk from Sarria again. But thats just me, I'm a grumpy old sod ;)
Hahahahaha, @Tincatinker. This wins the non-existent Forum prize today!:D:D:D
(And I guess I am too.:oops:;))

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm not sure what it would be like starting in Sarria. For me hitting that point after walking a month with a relatively small population of familiar pilgrims was quite the "culture" shock. It wouldn't say it was bad or good just a bit over whelming for a day or two. I'm sure someone could explain it much better.
I think you articulated the experience perfectly fine! It was mine exactly—-not negative or positive—-just different... no more tranquility, but I had wonderful conversations with many young folks!

Starting at Sarria on 10 September but arranged to "miss" all the locations in the Brierlty guide by stopping halfway between the noted locations. Hopefully this will help avoid some of the crowds. I am also going through Santigo....train to Ferrol and then the Ingles back to SDC.

Go for it, the conga line from Sarria will still be in full force in early September. The walk from Ferrol is lovely and not crowded and the major stops are truly memorable.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all for the great advice!! I'm still undecided on the route, my walking partner says Frances, I'm leaning towards Ingles. I guess we'll decide when we get to Santiago!! Maybe I need to stop overthinking the experience so much before I get there and just live it at the time :)

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back