• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hammockable Caminos?

• Thread starter Deleted member 29041
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29041

I have been asked the question "Which routes are feasible if you want to use a hammock?". As in camping with a hammock, outside cities. The guy has PTSD and cannot afford private rooms too often.

My immediate answer was Camino Inglés, as that route is a delight for hammockers, but are there other routes that are well suited for hammockers? Not necessarily every stretch, but something without to many stretches devoid of suitable trees.

Even though I'm a hammocker myself, I find that I simply cannot recall whether any other routes are suitable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you HedaP! We had some very unusual places where we laid our heads some nights...:)
Going back in March with hammocks to do (if things go as planned)
Rota V
Portuguese (from Lisbon)
Lighthouse way
Inglais
Salvador
Primitivo
with just my two daughters this time (ages 10,12)...
Super excited

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you HedaP! We had some very unusual places where we laid our heads some nights...:)
Rota V
Portuguese (from Lisbon)
Lighthouse way
Inglais
Salvador
Primitivo
Super excited
How long do you plan to be away for combining all these various routes, if you don't mind me asking?

Rota V
Portuguese (from Lisbon)
Lighthouse way
Inglais
Salvador
Primitivo
Super excited
Wow!

How long do you plan to be away for combining all these various routes, if you don't mind me asking?
We will be gone for three months, but two of the weeks will be with the whole family in Morocco. Then my daughters and I are running away from the boys and flying into Lisbon.
There is a HUGE variable in our equation though. I have invited one of my friends and her teenage daughter to join us.
I love them dearly but do fear they aren't prepared/ or preparing for this adventure they way they need to.
With that said I insisted that they get all of the books/maps and that they understand taxis and buses will have to be used for
those who can't keep up and we can meet at night. I know the girl time is going to be awesome but our plans can change at any moment.
The above is our thoughts though. Our friends will probably only be going to Santiago or the coast with us.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have been asked the question "Which routes are feasible if you want to use a hammock?". As in camping with a hammock, outside cities. The guy has PTSD and cannot afford private rooms too often.

My immediate answer was Camino Inglés, as that route is a delight for hammockers, but are there other routes that are well suited for hammockers? Not necessarily every stretch, but something without to many stretches devoid of suitable trees.

Even though I'm a hammocker myself, I find that I simply cannot recall whether any other routes are suitable.

No certain route, trail, pathway, etc are totally feasible for slingers. There are sections where no hanging is possible. Then I find plenty of spots.

I used my hammock at a few A'bergs. Set up out back. One time under a over hang. Strung between two poles. Other times using two trees in the back yard of the A'berg. Few times when stealth camping. NO did not light fire. No music. No lights.

I get a better nights sleep slinging. To me sleeping in a hammock is far superior than tent camping. Easy to set up and take down. Not on the ground. Actually you can get into a good sleeping position in a hammock. Take little practice.
Any time it is under 70F need to have a pad, or under quilt, to prevent heat loss from your body. I learned the hard way that a sleeping bag alone in a hammock does not keep one warm.

I agree, best sections for slinging that I have seen were on the Ingles.

Thanks for the replies, here and by PM.

As I get it, apart from the Inglés, spots for hanging are intermittent. Especially if you need room for more than one hammock. That is more or less what I recalled

I have suggested that he consider carrying a set of portable trees: www.ddhammocks.com/product/ultralight_hammock_stand

1,3 kg is a fair penance for peace and quiet, and, at £89, it's free after three or four nights NOT spent in private rooms.

Rota V
Portuguese (from Lisbon)
Lighthouse way
Inglais
Salvador
Primitivo
Super excited
That will be a great journey .

Wish you a wonderfull time and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.