• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Handicaps? – Preferential treatment in albergues?

annelise

Time of past OR future Camino
Past
I never thought that I would ask this question.

I returned from 435 km on the Camino Frances in May – the time of my life (66, started as somewhat unfit – returned a lot more fit). Dared to do it thanks to this forum and all of you.

However, shortly after my return I fell and broke my shoulder in four places (in my own living room of all places – considering how careful I had been on all descents!) So the good doctors gave me a shoulder implant.

And today, in my physiotheraphy consultation, I was asked what my goal for my end rehabilitation was (they seem to have this on their scheme). My three replies were:

- to be able to hang up my washing (stretching up both arms)
- to be able to sling up an 8 kg backpack on to my shoulders
- to be able to climb to an upper berth

My physiotherapist (whom I met for the first time) thought this a 'very adequate and to the point answer' – she has walked herself in Norway, and her son had walked the Camino (how lucky to find such an understanding person).

Now, with regard to my last wish "to be able to climb to an upper berth": – if I will not be able to attain this goal (may be only wishful thinking on my part) and if I realize that this would not be an option, would there be a possibility for preferential treatment – even if I arrive late to an albergue (with still free places)?
Thanks for any replies. Kindest Annelise (Denmark)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
It will depend on the hospitaleros but generally we are all kind and understanding and would definitely make a plan for you, even if it meant putting your mattress on the floor so that you didn't have to climb up.
Hope you heal quickly and are as good as new!

Annalise,

In England we would say, more power to your elbow - a way of saying good for you, well done, what determination, get the job done, in a short, simple phrase.

It ought to read, more power to your shoulder. Sorry to hear about the accident.

I am an insulin dependent diabetic with complications because of it. I was assured at the albergue at Negreria that though I had arrived when it was completely full I could have a bed if I could prove my illness.

A pilgrim translated my hospital letter and an elderly Dutch lady pilgrim was told to move out of a bottom bunk and on to a mattress on the floor. I negotiated to leave the lady in the bunk and for me to be on the mattress.

I was told that municipal albergues are not allowed to turn away a handicapped pilgrim even if they are full. This is important because they will no longer let pilgrims sleep on bed rolls or matresses on the floor with the exception of illness.

Make sure your hospital issues you with a letter on headed notepaper explaining what your problem is and why you cannot use an upper bunk. If there is a limit as to how far you can walk on a given day with a rucksack on your back, that should also be in the letter.

Make sure that a Spanish translation is on the back.

I would hope that fit pilgrims would be courteous enough to offer you a bunk without this, even if means them moving to a private albergue.

philip

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Annelise,
Being 67 and needing a bottom bunk I simply asked the hospiladero/a for a bottom bunk, and always got one.

Once whilst hauling myself up the stairs, hanging on to the bannisters to help me I overheard her tell three young pilgrims "You take top bunks, and leave the bottom bunks to the likes of them" indicating me and my friend. Time and time again I have heard hospiladeros/as telling young people to take top bunks. My experience has been that there is a real sense of care for the more mature pilgrim.

However, that been said it might still be wise to bring the letter from your hospital with the Spanish translation.

Buen Camino,
Lydia

Firstly, sorry to hear of your shocking accident.

I think that you can limit your chances of having a problem by........

Choosing a quiet time of year to walk - Oct?Nov
Arriving early at Albergues when it will be easier to accommodate you.
Avoid the Albergues where the only Hospilatero you see is at 8 at night for Five minutes to collect your cash.

You DO need preferential treatment but so do many other pilgrims so that should not trouble you ... Do not even try to get up to the upper bunk - you may do more damage to yourself on you way down to the floor.
So , make sure you get back to the Camino - this is not an insurmountable problem. :wink:

Hello Annelise,
I'm really sorry to hear about your accident - in your own lounge - of all places!
So.. you would like to do the Camino again. Well done!
I think it's very important that you do get a letter from your doctor and have it translated into Spanish. I really don't think you would ever need it, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
When one is a hospitalero, you come accross all sorts of situations and you quickly understand which are "real" necesities! I always asked the young folk to take, if possible, a top bunk (especially the men)! I also reserved at least one bottom bunk for late elderly arrivals. When on one occasion, I really needed a bottom bunk, and all were taken, I appealed to the pilgrims in the dorm at that moment, for a volunteer to swap over. No problem!
Anyway, when I last walked from mid Sept in 2009, we never had a problem to find place in albergue and only on two occasions, couldn't get a bottom bunk. The second occasion, the girl below offered spontainiously to swap with me, but I was happy with the top! Don't worry, you'll be OK! Anne

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just seconding some comments here, I walked the Camino Frances last June and it happened occasionally that a person needed a bottom bunk, there was always someone willing to move on up to the to bunk.

Most people when asked honestly and kindly would swap.

Anniesantiago said:
Frankly, I prefer the upper bunks.
No bedbugs falling on you at midnight. :lol:
I was waiting for you to say that, Annie!!

In fact, upper bunks have certain advantages! Anne

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am curious here. If a bedbug falls onto the bottom bunk, doesn't that mean it was in the top bunk that you prefer???

Last year when I walked the Camino Frances, I obviously looked elderly, and in fact I was 79. I never expected special treatment, nor asked for a bottom bunk, but was always allocated a bottom bunk by the hospitalero except for two occasions. On those two occasions, a kind person insisted that I take his/her bottom bunk in exchange for my allocated top bunk. This is just one aspect of the wonderful spirit of the Camino, from hospitaleras and pilgrims. No wonder that next week I start from Oleron to Santiago via the Somport Pass. David

A selection of Camino Jewellery
camino-david said:
I never expected special treatment, nor asked for a bottom bunk, but was always allocated a bottom bunk by the hospitalero except for two occasions. On those two occasions ..
Jeppers David , 79!!! - Keep on Boyo!

However , Think I may be having a flashbach from those naughty things I Did when I was young.?? :mrgreen:. ....... You were allocated a top bunk TWICE???? , I'm sorry , but what I D I O T would be so ignorant?

Yes , I can see that there are going to be some MAJOR changes made when I become President of Spain. :wink:

When you become President of Spain, but I thought you already were, hence the disguise. :mrgreen:

Dear all, thank you so much for your encouraging replies and good advice. I am so thankful for this.

To Annie (I faithfully read all your posts, thanks for them), I came to think (bedbugs!) – what happens if we take our potentially bedbug-plagued backpacks onto the plane going back home? Would they then walk all over the baggage hold? I cannot but shudder to think that I may unwittingly come back from any flight where somebody else's luggage may have carried the plague!

I know what the 'critter's' bites will look like from back in Paris in 1965 (dates me!).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Annelise, I doubt if the bed bugs would leave the warmth of your pack as freezing temperatures kills them and the luggage holds of aircraft get very cold. In fact insulin has been known to freeze and that renders it is into a neutral liquid and hence unusable. A bed bug foolish enough to go wandering will freeze to death.

One pilgrim suggested that if you return home and think you might have brought bed bugs with you, empty everything into your freezer (chest freezers are good for this), throw in your bag and leave it all there for 48 hours. That should be the end of the invasion.

Not practical but works he claims.

Luis, the one-legged pilgrim, has always been offered a lower bunk! However, if he weren´t, I suspect that he would just haul himself to the top bunk without complaining. It is remarkable that he does not view himself as special in any way. It is just his life, and he has to live it.

Falcon, thanks, I get your message loud and clear – and great that your one-legged friend will be able to get up to an upper bed. Good to hear it - and glad for him.

However, my problem will be that I may not be able to hoist myself up to an upper berth (my physiotherapist told me yesterday that it would be a real challenge to get my new implant shoulder fit enough to get me up there.) – So it is certainly not lack of will on my part, nor a wish to be 'special'.

But maybe I should abort my wish to get back again?

Glad to follow you on your present camino, and thank you for all your helpful answers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Annlise, the only reason you shouldn't go is if you can't pick your rucksack up and put it over your shoulders.

Even then you could use the baggage forwarding system, though I suspect that wouldn't please you.

Once you've got your letter I would just go for it

Annelise, I can't help by impressed by your desire to get back on the Camino. I am sure all but the least understanding hospitaleros would help you out. I have run into some very nice people on The Camino. As mentioned by someone else, even if you can't handle a backpack, there are taxi services that will carry it for you. I can't carry a backpack at all (I have Fibromyalgia and just can't pick up anything weighing more than a couple of pounds). I still am able to enjoy the Camino experience just the same. Go for it! I also see that someone said that the top bunks don't get the bedbugs. In our group of walkers, all of those bitten by bedbugs were in the top bunks! I guess those bugs really get around - LOL! Again, please don't let the fact that you have a couple of limitations keep you from doing what you love to do! Buen Camino!

Dear all,

Thanks so much for all your helpful advice and encouragement. I am truly grateful for this.

I am also glad to tell you that I am having a succesful rehabilitation with my articificial new shoulder. The good doctors and physiotherapists think that I am a marvel – have already long surpassed their expectations. They think that is because I train a lot (sorry, not always necessarily so), but also that I have a purpose for my rehabilitation – and yes, here they are right – want to go back to the camino and sling that backpack up again!

But first and foremost, I think that my rehabilitation is due to good genes – my much loved grandmother passed away at the age of 106, and my mother – now 91 – still solves the crossword puzzles I cannot do.

I have now a letter from the hospital telling about my shoulder.

Thanks again to all for your advice, and kindest,
annelise

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Annelise,

If it weren't so painful I would laugh about this.

I now have a frozen shoulder and when I go out with a walking companion he has to pull my backpack off because I cannot manage it.

It has only begun since I started replying to you in this thread. :shock:

I am now undergoing physiotherapy and having to exercise it daily. I am likely not regain the full movement of my left arm.

I could wish for some of your good genes because mine are rubbish. :(

I am delighted you are getting on so well. :D

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back