• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Happy Bridge Day! Puente Paso Honroso Hospital del Orbigo.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I read the post concerning the bridge at Portomarin, the town and bridge an interesting story. However I fell in love at first sight with the bridge at Hospital del Orbigo. The historical legend is to well known to be repeated, somewhere I have even read a short story concerning fluttering banners, eerie trump calls, and armor flashing strangely in the moonlight from the southern side of Puente Paso Honroso. I know that the Spanish understand and have built wonderful bridges for almost a thousand years, the efforts demanded from walking the Camino eased with the building of bridges by episcopal command, so why oh why was the Puente Paso Honroso built with a kink in the middle and why oh why does it appear to be Spain’s first roller coaster-not a level step on the whole beautiful bridge?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree, absolutely wonderful bridge! Can only imagine the extent of the flooding that would warrant building such a bridge. It would be a sight to see when the river is in full flood. My early morning photos are poor but do give an idea of the span and the cobblestones. I love that the smooth strip of stone running along the centre of the bridge is worn by the feet of the hundreds of thousands of pilgrims who have gone before. I’m sure there will be heaps better photos out there but thought I’d get the ball rolling.
12F8FDB3-E224-470E-A5C1-8C7797641B96.jpeg0716355C-783D-479A-BBC4-2BDA9EC33C6D.jpeg4863BB92-6C9D-48FA-B11A-867203A56F92.jpeg

Last edited:
Double dipping I know but here is a photo of the bar at the town end of the bridge that offers a great view of the bridge and passing pilgrims. They do a good breakfast and it’s a pleasant place to sit and enjoy the bridge.:D
D4D8EF56-0070-4552-8F0B-E961A40B9BF4.jpeg
Edit: Having a bit of trouble with the photos. They look OK in thumbnail but are not opening properly. Hopefuly just my internet connection. If not I apologise.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
View attachment 38884

I ate lunch at the same bar...and it was really nice with locals eating lunch as well and a nice server and good food...and a bathroom!! lol. I wanted to stay longer...but alas more miles in front of me!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
Good morning, all: I'll be starting my first-ever Camino (and first trip to Europe, actually) in one month. I'd appreciate any and all advice regarding the price(s)/price range for lunches on the...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back