• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hard sufaces: how do I train/deal with asphalt?

Annie G

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
I am training for my Camino next year. Today I walked along a river in my home town of Eugene, Oregon for 8 miles or so. It is an established 'trail' but it mostly hard surface. Thought this would be good to try out since there are many such surfaces on the Camino. I was amazed at the knee pain that I experienced. Some of this may be due to the fact that I was walking with my future Camino buddy who walks faster than I usually do, as it turns out (a good revelation to be sure). I have Vasque trail shoes and did not suffer any hot spots (yay!), and very good socks. I wore an elastic knee brace. My question is: would cushioned insoles help with the knee pain? Is it just a matter of walking a little too quickly? What are the recommendations for training for hard surfaces?

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I'll be interested to hear the replies too! Over training on hard surfaces gave me tendonitis in both Achilles :(

With my Camino departure now just 12 sleeps away, I'm anxious to not make the condition worse..... (Now wearing orthotics)

I also encountered pain early in my training, but just in one knee, and only on the downhills. I got myself checked out at a sports clinic and learned that I had fallen into some bad habits when bending my knees, and that these habits had weakened the joints. I corrected those habits and followed a regime of knee strengthening exercises. The pain that I had been experiencing on downhills disappeared and I had no knee problems on my Camino. The knee exercises are very straightforward and just require a strip of elastic band. If you want more info feel free to PM me. Of course, I appreciate that your problem may be different to mine. I wish you all the best in your training.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Walk your own pace, don't try to keep with someone who is faster than you. This will help alot. And yes, like icacos said, do strengthening excercises.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the recommendations. I do have poles but didn't use them on this walk as it was entirely flat ground. I do think orthotics are in order.

I'm a big fan of orthotics, but be careful about the material used. For years I had hard plastic orthotics, and it turns out they were probably the cause of my problem, certainly not the solution. I now have silicone orthotics and they work like a charm to cushion the foot strike. Haven't had a problem since.

I know I've said this before, but I don't think there is any way to prepare your feet for all the asphalt. Too much pounding will cause a problem, no matter how much you've tried to prepare. That's why I always and obsessively search for side-of-the-road patches of dirt to walk on when ever the camino is on asphalt. It makes a difference, it really does.

As far as prevention goes, I typically ice my shins and/or my heels when I finish the day's walking. Bring a plastic bag to a bar, sit outside, order a drink and ask for some ice cubes in the bag. Then ice the part you're worried about for 10-15 minutes, not more. I also soak my feet in every stream or river I pass, it does wonders to rejuvenate them. If you're wearing boots, take them and your socks off regularly! I know there's a group of non-believers out there who think it's best to leave the boot on all day, which is what I did on my first couple of caminos, till someone convinced me to give it a try. A 15 minute air breather for feet will make them feel so much better when you put the shoes/boots back on.

Buen camino, Laurie

I'm a big fan of orthotics, but be careful about the material used. For years I had hard plastic orthotics, and it turns out they were probably the cause of my problem, certainly not the solution.

I use orthotics, hard plastic ones. Since I started using them I have had no problems with tendonitis which I did suffer previously. I have heard good things about the soft ones but haven't tried them as I don't have a problem to fix. Yet.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
If you want to walk together, there is a general rule: the faster walker goes always a step behind the slower one. I suggest that you talk about it.

Last edited:
I use orthotics, hard plastic ones. Since I started using them I have had no problems with tendonitis which I did suffer previously. I have heard good things about the soft ones but haven't tried them as I don't have a problem to fix. Yet.
Don't improvise with orthotics - visit a podiatrist and get proper ones. I have a pair of hard plastic custom molded and now a softer pair by Vasily & Dananberg relatively off the shelf but can be customised, but they were also recommended by podiatrist and I am to switch back and forth. As far as training to get used to pavement: just don't "train" on it, just deal with it when you don't have another choice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I used poles but I also have softer orthotics which are much better than my old harder ones. I also put a set old heel cushions in my Vasque boots. Take shorter steps so you aren't hyper extending your knees. I walked last year & will be there again this May. I've severe knee problems & have broken same foot twice so I take it easy for the first week & have a rest every hour removing my shoes & sox to cool. Good luck.
Thanks for the recommendations. I do have poles but didn't use them on this walk as it was entirely flat ground. I do think orthotics are in order.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Stretching, stretching, Stretching, stretching. If possible start your training on softer surfaces and once you get into the space where you can do 10 KMs totally fine for a few days straight each day switch and do a day on pavement. Mitigating strain on everything will help a lot. Once you get stronger you might want to start doing light squats as well to strengthen your calves and thighs. If you strengthen everything around your knees they will take less strain. :)

Here's some basic ones:

And I thought all I had to do was go for some walks. Hah!
Seriously you have presented me with some quite realistic but doable solutions. Thank you. Iced and rested today and my knee is better already. Tomorrow I am 68. I'm grateful to be complaining...

And I thought all I had to do was go for some walks. Hah!
Seriously you have presented me with some quite realistic but doable solutions. Thank you. Iced and rested today and my knee is better already. Tomorrow I am 68. I'm grateful to be complaining...

No prob! :D Lots of small things help too ;)

:O Oh and Happy Birthday to You Annie ;)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back