• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone here started early April on the Camino Frances?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
So many routes, so little time, and I'm still looking at various options for the month of April.
I have to pick up my group in Pamplona April 28 and I'm thinking I might just walk from Logroño to Astorga starting earlier in the month. Has anyone here walked in April? I looked for an older LIVE FROM THE CAMINO thread for the CF but couldn't find one.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I started late march/early april for my first Camino in 2015.

Since then, I've mainly walked during the summer months.

What exactly do you want to know?

For me, weather was fine. It was still quite cold in the pyrenees. A few days before I started, there was a lot of snow, from what I was told. When I walked, only a few patches of snow were still left on the Valcarlos route. Later on it was quite warm, though and felt already like summer to me (not much of a summer where I am from 🤣).

I was very happy to have a sleeping bag and not only a liner, even on the days when it was hot during daytime.

I had a warm wool cape for warmth and as a rain cover and was glad I had it.

I was told there would be hordes of pilgrims during easter, but I still managed to get a bed without any (!) problem ever on that Camino and didn't see any hordes. Never made a reservation, never had to walk further to get a bed.

Flowers were lovely, birds singing, fresh green colour of spring everywhere. It is a nice time to walk I'd say, as long as you're prepared for the occasionaly very cold/bad weather.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm curious about that too, I'm thinking about walking the Francés from SJPP, starting about the 10th of April next year. Do I understand correctly, that especially the first two days would probably include low temperatures, and possibly snow, and from Zubiri onwards, with the Pyrenées behind me, the temperatures should (generally, of course) be much more pleasant?
I do not want to underestimate the cold in the beginnig, but neither do I want to carry a heavier jacket/shoes in my pack for the rest of the journey, if the temperatures would probably be around 20 degrees for the most of it.
What is the experience of the walkers that did it in early-mid april? Is it neccessary/advisable to have a bit of extra clothing for the first two or three days? Or is it nowhere as bad as it seems?
Thanks,
Michal.don

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Honestly, it’s hard to say what it will be like. I have started a number of timesfrom SJPdP in April. This year April 12th. This year was quite warm after the first few days, compared to my other years. I have had years it rained almost everyday and others where my rain gear did not come of out my pack for all of 38 days. As you say you are looking to walk from Logrono to Astorga during this time I think it would be fine . At worst you would have some cold weather but I think that’s awesome walking weather. If you were going as far as Cruz de Fero that might be different. I walked through white out snow on May 12th one year.

I'm curious about that too, I'm thinking about walking the Francés from SJPP, starting about the 10th of April next year. Do I understand correctly, that especially the first two days would probably include low temperatures, and possibly snow, and from Zubiri onwards, with the Pyrenées behind me, the temperatures should (generally, of course) be much more pleasant?
I do not want to underestimate the cold in the beginnig, but neither do I want to carry a heavier jacket/shoes in my pack for the rest of the journey, if the temperatures would probably be around 20 degrees for the most of it.
What is the experience of the walkers that did it in early-mid april? Is it neccessary/advisable to have a bit of extra clothing for the first two or three days? Or is it nowhere as bad as it seems?
Thanks,
Michal.don

Every year will be different really so no-one can predict it accurately.
I would say - don't forget it could also be unseasonably warm. We started in sjpp in March a few years ago and while we had some snow (leftover snow on the ground in the Pyrenees and actively snowing over O Cebreiro) we were all prepared for that.
However we also had a few 30+ degrees days for which we were, let's say, less prepared, and a lot of people ended up with sunburns.
Regarding the cold - while you're walking you're normally fine - where you can get really cold is if you've been sweating and now you have to stop outside somewhere. If your condition is such that you can avoid stopping on the way and only stop at a cafe or such you'll likely be OK.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So many routes, so little time, and I'm still looking at various options for the month of April.
I have to pick up my group in Pamplona April 28 and I'm thinking I might just walk from Logroño to Astorga starting earlier in the month. Has anyone here walked in April? I looked for an older LIVE FROM THE CAMINO thread for the CF but couldn't find one.
I walked CF starting April 1, 2019. The weather was fantastic 6 inches of snow in the mountains to shortsleves days later. Early April I'd call sweater weather.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We started in St. Jean on April 11 this year in a blizzard from the top of the big hill all the way into Roncesvalles. It was crazy. Then rain for a couple of days and after that, great weather except for one day of really windy, cold rain on a later day. It gives you some great memories though when you encounter weather that is not ideal.

I left Burgos April 9 in 2022 to walk the Meseta. Cool mornings even some ice on puddles. Sunny days mostly but a little rain and mud. Couple of cold nights in unheated albergues. Santa Semana processions! Overall DELIGHTFUL. Buen Camino
Thanks Jerry - I'm thinking of picking up the Meseta since I walk the other parts regularly. This helps.

@Anniesantiago I started on April 6 from Pampalona, 2022. The weather was perfect except for a few torrential rain days.
Lots of stores and accommodations closed until about the middle of April after Easter. And of course, you have to carry gear for both hot and cold because you never know…
Semana Santa is in March 2024 so that isn't a worry.

Hi, I started from st jean this year 1st April - the first official day the napoleon route opens…but it was closed due to snow/bad rain. It was busy as it was the opening day. Then there was Easter - it was very busy the days up to Pamplona due to so many pilgrims plus the Spanish ones who take Easter week each year to do the Frances in sections over several years. So I’d say from what I saw…look when Easter is and it could be busy at the start and in big cities then (ie logrono had no accommodation when I got there due to Good Friday ) away from Easter week and the start…it was a wonderful walk and not too crowded and lovely weather…of course the last 115km was busy too but I had no issues getting accommodation as I booked ahead on this bit.
Buen Camino !

neither do I want to carry a heavier jacket/shoes
You should not be taking a heavier jacket/shoes on the chance that you'll get some cold weather on the first couple of days. It is always better to take an extra lightweight merino wool layer than it is to take a "heavier" jacket. At that time of year, I would plan to take a merino wool base layer - top and bottom - that would normally be used for sleeping but could be layered in the day if necessary. Also a buff, hat and gloves - they are very effective for staying warm, and they can be added and removed easily while walking. Have some wool socks that will keep your feet warm even when wet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We started around March 20, 2018, think that was a particularly wet year. We walked for 33 days and it rained for 31 of them. It snowed on that big hill in the forest after Montes de Oca and around O Cebreiro and Fonfria - we were post holing up to our knees at one point (we had to get off the road and went off track to find the other path). I remember my shoes never really dried out...

You should not be taking a heavier jacket/shoes on the chance that you'll get some cold weather on the first couple of days. It is always better to take an extra lightweight merino wool layer than it is to take a "heavier" jacket. At that time of year, I would plan to take a merino wool base layer - top and bottom - that would normally be used for sleeping but could be layered in the day if necessary. Also a buff, hat and gloves - they are very effective for staying warm, and they can be added and removed easily while walking. Have some wool socks that will keep your feet warm even when wet.
Yup. The warmest piece of clothing I always take is a men's cashmere sweater. I find them at Goodwill. They are as light as a feather and soooo warm! Never go without one.

We left SJPDP on April 10, 2023 and walked to Santiago.
The first morning was beautiful and clear but by the afternoon the temperature plunged and a storm rolled in. We were so glad to reach Roncesvalles and a hot shower. We woke to snow in the morning and walked for several hours with it still snowing. We had rain on and off to Pamplona but after that the weather cleared to temperate days and cool evenings. It was a great time to be on the mesata, generally clear days and not too hot for walking.
I hadn’t chosen to walk that early in the year - it was the only time I could take so much time off work - but I’d walk again at that time because we had such great weather this time around.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks,
Michal.don

Thanks all. I've decided.

I'll head to Madrid end of March and pop up to Logroño and just walk from there to Astorga. I'll have all month so I can take my time - don't have to pick up my group until end of April.

I look forward to walking the Meseta again. It will be a good way to build up my strength after cancer, Covid and my Spring 2022 group kicked my butt! lol!

I like the Meseta!
Easy walking and plenty of options for shorter days if I get too tired.
I can start slow and work up to longer stages.

Last year, Joe and I were in Manresa for Holy Week and didn't get to Logroño until later in April - around the 20th - and it was cold/raining for a day or two but then the weather was beautiful. It was great. We rented an apartment and saw a lot of things we usually walk right past. It was fun to relax and be tourists.

I think Joe may walk the Ignatian Route and meet me in Pamplona end of April.
But me, I'm gonna take it easy...
It will do my spirit good to be back on the Camino.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Waffle, waffle, waffle ... we can't decide.

Madrid Route - Meseta - Madrid Route - Meseta...

We think we've decided, and then we change our minds.

I guess I'll know by April 10 when I arrive in Madrid.

In Astorga I have stayed twice at Albergue So Por Hoje, in the heart of old town. Owned by Patricia from Brazil. She has walked a couple of Caminos as I recall. Just before O' Cebrieo is Vagabond Vieiras. Not to be missed. But that's the problem with the Camino Frances -- so many great little albergues. Buen Camino, Annie

Waffle, waffle, waffle ... we can't decide.

Madrid Route - Meseta - Madrid Route - Meseta...

We think we've decided, and then we change our minds.

I guess I'll know by April 10 when I arrive in Madrid.
Or if not, you'll know when you leave Madrid.

Much of the Madrid route reminded me in many ways of the Meseta on the Frances (although not all of it, of course).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Or if not, you'll know when you leave Madrid.

Much of the Madrid route reminded me in many ways of the Meseta on the Frances (although not all of it, of course).
I think that's going to be it.
We'll know when we get to Madrid and see what the weather is, etc.
Many more options for stopping/sleeping/resting on the Meseta - if it's a cold Spring.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back