• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has Anyone Walked this Camino?

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
We're staying in a small apartment in the hills not far from Potes. Outside the house and along the road up the village are camino markers; both yellow arrows and the Lebaneigo arrows.

We know this village isn't on the Camino Lebaniego route that we've walked but I've been searching and discovered that this camino starts in Palencia, crossed the Frances at Fromista and continues north and joins the Lebaniego at Potes.

Has anyone walked this route?

107568273_312764146567660_8879505224177022948_n.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There was a pilgrim who I ran into several years ago, his avatar was Canuck, who was walking to Potes from somewhere southeast of Palencia after a ceremony for a religious order he was a part of. I was walking south from Fromista on the Canal Castille and I can tell you north of Fromista is civilized but south of Fromista is a not well organized.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was going to suggest talking to peregrina2000, I am reasonably sure she has walked it also.

I think the name is Camino Lebaniego Castellano. It crosses the Olvidado at Cervera de Pisuerga. I haven’t walked it. I am not sure how well marked it is, but I saw the map you posted when I was walking the Olvidado last year. I don’t know if it would make a difference if you wanted to walk from north to south, because by calling it the Lebaniego Castellano, it means they are taking you up to Santo Toribio from down south.

I have walked the Vadiniense, though, which goes from the monastery after Potes through Fuente Dé and the mountains and then down to Riaño. The post-mountain part is almost entirely on asphalt. There was noise a few years back about re-marking to take it off the road, but I am not sure whether that ever happened. The Vadiniense goes through Cistierna (which is also on the Olvidado) and then on down to the Francés at Mansilla de las Mulas. One of the highlights for me was that it goes right by San Miguel de la Esclada, a Mozarabe-Romanesque church built on a visigothic foundation. Just gorgeous church and place where a beautiful Beatus was produced.

And I can’t resist commenting that you have not yet finished your current walk and you are already looking ahead to the next. Oh, lucky you! Buen camino, Laurie

As I learned on my trek, if you can walk far enough to find the branch of the Canal de Castilla to Medina de Roiseco, there is a tourist boat to Medina (sketchy service, if at all) or you can walk there along the canal. Medina is a fascinating, historic village on the Camino Madrid. Go north and you end up in Sahagun and go south and you are on your way to Segovia and Madrid. BTW the way the mosquitoes along the Canal are giant, man-eater.
I took a train from Santander to Fromista a few years ago to start my walk on the Canal to the south. I saw a number of tourist boats on the water of the canal north of Fromista and plan to go back that way some day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
And I can’t resist commenting that you have not yet finished your current walk and you are already looking ahead to the next. Oh, lucky you! Buen camino, Laurie

haha... not planning this one though... but very curious about the markers and this new camino 😂

Currently high on my wish-list is the Aragones, Inveirno, Le Puy, Madrid/San Salvador & Levante... and the Norte... and then VdlP in Spring and the Primitivo again 😂😂😂 and then the walks that you've been ZOOMing about... there are so many! ❤

Has anyone walked this route?

Hi!
As mentionned by @biarritzdon, I have walked this route as descriped on the map you've attached to your original post.
The route is very well marked with red arrows and a special identifier on white posts.
Accommodation is readily available.
It's easy walking along the canal from Palencia up to Alar Del Rey. From there to Potes, it's in the mountains.
I didn't see any walkers for the whole camino.
I enjoyed it.
Jean-Marc

Hi!
As mentionned by @biarritzdon, I have walked this route as descriped on the map you've attached to your original post.
The route is very well marked with red arrows and a special identifier on white posts.
Accommodation is readily available.
It's easy walking along the canal from Palencia up to Alar Del Rey. From there to Potes, it's in the mountains.
I didn't see any walkers for the whole camino.
I enjoyed it.
Jean-Marc
Hey there, good hear from you. I have had to hang up my poles and boots because the neuropathy in my right foot has become very severe. I walked last year from Le Puy to Toulouse and then took a bus to Burgos to restart my Camino, unfortunately in Hontanas I learned my sister was in an ICU in Cincinnati and had to make a hasty return to be at her bedside. She died and I sold my 2 family house in Cincinnati (she was my tenant in the other half0 and returned to Florida. Take care of yourself my friend.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey there, good hear from you. I have had to hang up my poles and boots because the neuropathy in my right foot has become very severe. I walked last year from Le Puy to Toulouse and then took a bus to Burgos to restart my Camino, unfortunately in Hontanas I learned my sister was in an ICU in Cincinnati and had to make a hasty return to be at her bedside. She died and I sold my 2 family house in Cincinnati (she was my tenant in the other half0 and returned to Florida. Take care of yourself my friend.
Hi Don,
Thanks for the note.
Sorry to hear about your sister and your foot problem. I hope that you can still enjoy physical activities of some sort.
I was out on some interesting walks in the last three years: Austria, Hungary and of course Spain.
Everything is on hold for now including winters in Florida (Coconut Creek). The present situation in the States does not indicate a return to ''normal'' soon. I keep my fingers crossed.
Cheers,
JM

This camino starts in Palencia, crossed the Frances at Fromista and continues north and joins the Lebaniego at Potes.

Hi LesBrass,

Peregrina2000 is right: it's the Camino Lebaniego Castellano. And I have a guidebook of it. It's in Spanish....
The single file was too large to upload, so I split it in 2.

Attachments

• guia_camino_lebaniego_castellano_1.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 15
  • guia_camino_lebaniego_castellano_2.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
Thank you for sharing this resource with us. André Walker, I am wondering if you have walked this route? It looks lovely.

Thank you for sharing this resource with us. André Walker, I am wondering if you have walked this route? It looks lovely.
Hi Linda,

Unfortunately I haven't walked it. But I'm considering it. But then again, there are so many Camino's still to discover and I've only walked a couple of them...

Hi Don,
Thanks for the note.
Sorry to hear about your sister and your foot problem. I hope that you can still enjoy physical activities of some sort.
I was out on some interesting walks in the last three years: Austria, Hungary and of course Spain.
Everything is on hold for now including winters in Florida (Coconut Creek). The present situation in the States does not indicate a return to ''normal'' soon. I keep my fingers crossed.
Cheers,
JM
Send me a PM the next time you will be in the Sunshine State.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.