• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have you been in Santiago on July 25?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have never arrived in Santiago in July before, but this year I will be walking late. It looks like I'll be getting back from Finisterre and Muxia around July 23 or 24, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to push it up a few days so I will be there on the 25th.

I am not a big crowds person -- I don't like the Rastro, would never go to New Years Eve in Times Square, and never go to the county fair or the state fair. But I'm wondering if this would be worth an exception.

I have seen a video of the spectacular light show at the cathedral (thanks Johnnie Walker) but would like to hear from people who have been there. What do you do during the day? Are you just pressed and pushed in a massive crowd?

Thanks in advance for all opinions? Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have never arrived in Santiago in July before, but this year I will be walking late. It looks like I'll be getting back from Finisterre and Muxia around July 23 or 24, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to push it up a few days so I will be there on the 25th.

I am not a big crowds person -- I don't like the Rastro, would never go to New Years Eve in Times Square, and never go to the county fair or the state fair. But I'm wondering if this would be worth an exception.
Hi Laurie, I'm not a big crowds person either but when I saw the light show at the Cathedral, my heart did a little flip (actually quite a big one) and I wanted to be there so much. Despite the crowds, it would be phenomenal to be in Santiago on the 25 July. Just once.

I think if I had the chance and let it slip by, I would always wonder what I'd missed.

Laurie, l personally love it. A good spot for you could be on either of the western exits of the plaza on each side of the Pazo de Raxoi. That way you won't feel hemmed in and easily leave if you want to! The sound and light celebration is on the 24th welcoming in the Saint's day of the 25th. During the day you could visit JohnnieWalker ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I understand what you mean about crowds Laurie, I in fact missed July 25th in Santiago on purpose (and it was a holy year!!!) and choose to walk to Finisterre instead. This was on my first Camino. Now that I have been back several times, I believe that if I had the chance I would now try to be there on July 25th.
I can also recommend New Year's in Santiago. There was no light show as on the 25th but the fireworks were great and the atmosphere was fantastic!

Laurie, l personally love it. A good spot for you could be on either of the western exits of the plaza on each side of the Pazo de Raxoi. That way you won't feel hemmed in and easily leave if you want to! The sound and light celebration is on the 24th welcoming in the Saint's day of the 25th. During the day you could visit JohnnieWalker ;)

Thanks everyone, I'm reconsidering. CaminoJohn, since you seem to have actually been there, can you give me an idea of what else goes on during the day?

And, is it always the case that the cathedral "show" is on the night of the 24th? I saw something on line that suggested that it had to do with the day of the week that the holiday fell on. I would go home on the 25th if the show is the 24th, so that's important for me to know. Thanks!

LTfit, glad you enjoyed the New Years Eve celebration. Having two Caminos in one year, though, now that's a cause for celebration!

Buen camino, Laurie

After a little more forum searching, I found this thread

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...-ending-on-25th-july-feast-of-st-james.16117/

I now know that the light show is always at midnight on the 24th. I am not sure how much fun it would be to wait in the cathedral square from 9 pm till midnight.

Sounds like trying to get to the airport on the 25th would be a challenge.

hmmmm, still debating (and I have plenty of time to do this since I am spending the day in the Dallas airport trying to get home after yesterday's snowstorm in the midwest).

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I was in Santiago on 25 July 2013, I had a great position in the Square to view the light show and fire works, I had a long wait ahead of me till the celebrations commenced at midnight.

I never got to see the light show, or participate in the following street festival

All was cancelled 3hrs before the start due to the Train disaster:(

St James day 2013 and the following week was very somber, I watched as pilgrims arrived, I could see that their emotions were conflicting, they wanted to celebrate the end of a life changing journey for which many had planned for years to arrive on that special day, but they couldn't out of respect.

I was in Santiago on 24/25 July 2012. I also hate crowds but just had to see the light and fireworks show and don't regret it, one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen. I highly, highly recommend it. From memory I went at about 10.00pm. The plazza was heaving when I arrived but I found a little space to stand in and yes was very bored and wanted to sit down but still, it was definitely worth it. I certainly wouldn't arrive any earlier than 9.30pm, there's no point unless you are in a group who want to all stick together and therefore need the space. You might consider taking something to cover the ground to sit on, or kneel down on just to give yourself a break from standing in one spot the whole time. I doubt you'd want to sit the whole time if you are on your own because there is a lot of movement in the crowd and people would be walking over/bumping into you, but it would be good for a quick rest. I chatted a little bit to a Spanish couple near me, but my Spanish and their English were equally bad and so that didn't last long. I managed to find out that they come every year just for the celebrations.

Sometimes I think it's good to put aside the challenges to receive the reward, other times I don't think it's worth it. This one is definitely worth it :) I hope to go back again.

25th during the day - there were music stands for concerts and dancing etc around the town, good for just wandering around. If you are Christian then attending Mass is important on this day to celebrate St James. One of the Masses at the Cathedral is more or less reserved for dignitaries only (9am?? can't remember).

Let us know what you decide :)

Last edited:
Yes....go for it! So many things going on. I was there last July and the Train accident changed the mood but not the spirit! You will get photos that you will not get any other time of the year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Laurie,
I feel like I need to clarify a bit, just to make sure we are all on the same page. I assumed that you were referring to the spectacular sound and light show known as Los Fuegos de Apostol. This always occurs, for the 3 times I have experienced it, on the 24th not the 25th. The horrible train derailment others have referred to occurred on the 24th not the 25 and los fuegos was cancelled, as I am sure other events in the nearly two week long fiesta were. On the 24th, during the day, there is folk dancing, music and a parade of los gigantes puppets all on Plaza Platerias..south side of cathedral. In my experiences, the 25th is rather somber with the mass as the focus in the day and then concerts by ticket only on Plaza Santa..east side of cathedral. There is a carnival that occurs in the park on the south side of old town all through the fiesta.
Also, los fuegos, in my experience, does begin at about 10 but finishes by 11:30. I always get there by 8:30 for a picnic with pilgrim family and other groups around us! So much fun!
Enjoy!
John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

When I go to the pilgrim office website at the moment I am receiving a warning about the website's security certificates. Same on both Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browsers. And if I disregard...
The Santiago pilgrim office issued 3,171 Compostelas today. The second time so far this year when the total has been over 3,000. The first was on Good Friday when 3,193 Compostelas were handed out.
Hi, I’ve got 3 1/2 days in Santiago at the end of my camino, and I’m thinking to go to Vigo to watch the football on the 15th. It is a 10 pm kick-off, so I am wondering if it is likely to get any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.