• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have I been wrong all this time?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
It was my understand that you must walk the entire last 100 kilometers to Santiago to get the Compostela and that it must be done in one trip. But now someone says you can do it in consecutive trips at different times. Is that true???

Nevermind... I found the answer on the Pilgrim Office Page:

You can do the Way in stages, provided they are in chronological and geographical order. However, if you only do the minimum required distance (last 100 or 200 km), you must always get your Credencial stamped at the start and end of each stage, including the corresponding date, to show that the pilgrim has resumed the Way in the same place where they last stopped (i.e. you should always get the stamp at the starting point even though you have already stamped the card in the same place at the end of the previous stage).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmmm!! Contiguous, yes. But not continual, and definitely not continuous! Even the Pilgrim Office accepts that we need rest and replenishment :)
Well, the walk from Sarria to Santiago isn't too tough. I was just surprised that you could take as many years to complete it as you wanted. I mean, it's just a few stages, even if you do half stages. Anyway, it was news to me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, the walk from Sarria to Santiago isn't too tough. I was just surprised that you could take as many years to complete it as you wanted. I mean, it's just a few stages, even if you do half stages. Anyway, it was news to me.
I know several people who started farther back than Sarria who were within 100 km of Santiago, but had to end their Caminos because they caught Covid. If they want a Compostela they will be able to pick up where they left off and receive it. So we aren't just talking about pilgrims that start their Camino in Sarria. Injury or illness can end a Camino at any point, and it's good that they don't have to repeat a few stages (unless they want to).

I know several people who started farther back than Sarria who were within 100 km of Santiago, but had to end their Caminos because they caught Covid. If they want a Compostela they will be able to pick up where they left off and receive it. So we aren't just talking about pilgrims that start their Camino in Sarria. Injury or illness can end a Camino at any point, and it's good that they don't have to repeat a few stages (unless they want to).
True. I hadn't thought about this.

get your Credencial stamped at the start and end of each stage, including the corresponding date, to show that the pilgrim has resumed the Way in the same place where they last stopped (i.e. you should always get the stamp at the starting point even though you have already stamped the card in the same place at the end of the previous stage
Interesting that this is what the pilgrim office says. I just had this discussion with a podcaster and she referenced this also. I had been told way back when on my first camino that, of course you need 2 stamps a day from Sarria, but you should get the first stamp some kilometers from where you slept the night before and then the second at the albergue you are sleeping in that night. I was told that you need to do this to prove as best as you can, that you did not take a taxi or bus during the day and that you walked the whole stage. I have never been questioned at the Pilgrim Office or been denied a Compostela because of this. What do you do it there is nothing open in the village you are at and need to walk on?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Interesting that this is what the pilgrim office says. I just had this discussion with a podcaster and she referenced this also. I had been told way back when on my first camino that, of course you need 2 stamps a day from Sarria, but you should get the first stamp some kilometers from where you slept the night before and then the second at the albergue you are sleeping in that night. I was told that you need to do this to prove as best as you can, that you did not take a taxi or bus during the day and that you walked the whole stage. I have never been questioned at the Pilgrim Office or been denied a Compostela because of this. What do you do it there is nothing open in the village you are at and need to walk on?
What Annie quoted was for pilgrims restarting their Camino after Sarria (or any 100 km point). I'm not sure what you are asking.

I was also surprised that the 100km requirement could be broken up into multiple years/months.

Like Annie....I guess there are still many things to learn as the Camino continues to morph into something very different than my early days.

Actually...I am not sure if the 100km requirement has always been there or if it is more recent.

What Annie quoted was for pilgrims restarting their Camino after Sarria (or any 100 km point). I'm not sure what you are asking.
you must always get your Credencial stamped at the start and end of each stage, including the corresponding date, to show that the pilgrim has resumed the Way in the same place where they last stopped (i.e. you should always get the stamp at the starting point even though you have already stamped the card in the same place at the end of the previous stage).
I was retelling my story about being misinformed about where to get stamps on the last 100K. My question was (and maybe I was not clear, sorry): If you need to get your first stamp of the day from the town you slept in the night before, and nothing is open to get that first stamp, technically what are you supposed to do? Wait until an establishment that has sellos opens? I was just wondering. I would not worry about it and just go. I was just wondering if someone wants to follow the letter of the law, would they have to wait? How many people, I am one of them, who wakes up early the day out of Santiago to get there as early as possible. The last two caminos I walked I stayed in Lavacolla. Love the albergue there. People are super nice. I leave at about 6. Nothing I know of is open. About an hour later there is a new bar, it is where you make a left and there is a bar/restaurant on the right and after you turn the bar is on your left. I get my stamp there and I stop for a coffee and pan tostada. I think it is the same road that the TV station is on. It is December when I come to Santiago. I can get to the Pilgrim office early enough to get my compostela, both times I was offered the lunch at the Parador. That is always fun to meet other pilgrims and head over to drop my bag at San Martin Pinario. Then I go over and check to see if the big incense thingy is hanging. (That determines if I go to the Pilgrim mass that day or go take a nap and go the following day). Go eat some breakfast. I usually go down the hill from the Parador to the cafe on the corner. Then back for mass or a nap. Why did I write all this???????? I guess my big mouth extends to my hands. Oh yea and as I said I have never been questioned or been refused a Compostela.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is not unusual for Spanish pilgrims to walk the Camino de Santiago on weekends only.

I just googled it for confirmation: "fin de semana" and "Camino de Santiago". Plenty of results, the first one says: You can obtain your Compostela within five weekends!

I always thought that this is the reason why the Cathedral of Santiago offers this option for pilgrims.

I was retelling my story about being misinformed about where to get stamps on the last 100K. My question was (and maybe I was not clear, sorry): If you need to get your first stamp of the day from the town you slept in the night before, and nothing is open to get that first stamp, technically what are you supposed to do? Wait until an establishment that has sellos opens? I was just wondering. I would not worry about it and just go. I was just wondering if someone wants to follow the letter of the law, would they have to wait? How many people, I am one of them, who wakes up early the day out of Santiago to get there as early as possible. The last two caminos I walked I stayed in Lavacolla. Love the albergue there. People are super nice. I leave at about 6. Nothing I know of is open. About an hour later there is a new bar, it is where you make a left and there is a bar/restaurant on the right and after you turn the bar is on your left. I get my stamp there and I stop for a coffee and pan tostada. I think it is the same road that the TV station is on. It is December when I come to Santiago. I can get to the Pilgrim office early enough to get my compostela, both times I was offered the lunch at the Parador. That is always fun to meet other pilgrims and head over to drop my bag at San Martin Pinario. Then I go over and check to see if the big incense thingy is hanging. (That determines if I go to the Pilgrim mass that day or go take a nap and go the following day). Go eat some breakfast. I usually go down the hill from the Parador to the cafe on the corner. Then back for mass or a nap. Why did I write all this???????? I guess my big mouth extends to my hands. Oh yea and as I said I have never been questioned or been refused a Compostela.
I got a stamp at my breakfast stop, second at my lunch/ coffee stop, third at the albergue. It’s not hard to collect 3 stamps per day stamps on the Sarria leg.
In 5.5 weeks from SJPP to Santiago I almost filled two Compostela. Both are stored in an envelope taped behind my certificate frame.

The rule in this context is not the "two stamps a day" rule.

It is the "two stamps in the same town" rule.

Example:
- You start in Sarria (or earlier, for example in Leon).
- You stop in Portomarin and go home. You need to have a stamp from Portomarin in your credencial.
- You travel to Portomarin again at another time and continue your Camino to Santiago. You need to have a second stamp from Portomarin in your credencial.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I got a stamp at my breakfast stop, second at my lunch/ coffee stop, third at the albergue. It’s not hard to collect 3 stamps per day stamps on the Sarria leg.
In 5.5 weeks from SJPP to Santiago I almost filled two Compostela. Both are stored in an envelope taped behind my certificate frame.
I am well aware that it is not hard in most situations. Walking in winter and walking from Lavocalla at the time I like to leave makes it impossible to get a sello in that town. As I said the only bar that is open is the one I mentioned. I am sure I could get a stamp also around Monte do Gozo also but I want my coffee and tostada as soon as possible. Also if you are walking a route like Sanabras or the tail end of the Norte before Arzua leaving very early could make it difficult also. Baamonde comes to mind as a possible big problem. Of course it was December 2018 and things may have changed. When I was there there was nothing open whatsoever. But again I brought up one stretch of camino in December. Walking in peak season is another story entirely.

This is an interesting bit of information, and my first reaction was "why would anyone want to do that?" But, now it's been explained that if you get injured or have a family emergency, you can always go back and finish it off. Perhaps, you have some people who have a plane to catch and they really don't want to skip ahead. They'd rather come back and finish it.

This is interesting. In 2016 I walked from Logrono to Portomarin but had to stop due to injury. I never realised I could go back and finish from there. That particular camino meant a lot to me, it was the one where I made some special life long friends and I think I would like to go and complete it from Portomarin

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This is interesting. In 2016 I walked from Logrono to Portomarin but had to stop due to injury. I never realised I could go back and finish from there. That particular camino meant a lot to me, it was the one where I made some special life long friends and I think I would like to go and complete it from Portomarin
If you still have your credencial, go ahead and complete it.

Go for it!

In 2013 a lady from Ireland joined my Caracoles (snails) group of not-so-able pilgrims to walk the last 100km in 17 days from Sarria.
She and her husband had started walking the Camino from Burgos in 1989 and had collected stamps for as far as Astorga. She'd had polio as a child and when she started struggling to keep up, she went home thinking she would go back for short sections each year until she reached Santiago. But, life got in the way. After her husband died she gave up her dream of walking to Santiago.
Fast forward to 2013. She was now 74 years-old, had post-polio and used a walker everywhere outside of her home. She saw a post about the assisted Slow walk and asked if she could join us. A member of this forum (may he RIP) offered to join the group and to help her achieve her dream. We also had a man of 89 years old in the group who was hoping to earn his 10th Compostela (may he too RIP).DSC03745.JPG
Everyone was given a new credencial but she used her old one, continuing to get stamps from where she had left off in 1989. When we negotiated challenging sections she was able to walk with the help and with the aid of her crutches.
It is great that people can go back and finish what the started, no matter how long the time is in between.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was retelling my story about being misinformed about where to get stamps on the last 100K. My question was (and maybe I was not clear, sorry): If you need to get your first stamp of the day from the town you slept in the night before, and nothing is open to get that first stamp, technically what are you supposed to do? Wait until an establishment that has sellos opens?
I used a diary instead of a credencial, and got stamps as souvenirs. Didn’t care about a compostela. I got sellos from albergues, bars, restaurants, retails shops, and turismo offices.

I used a diary instead of a credencial, and got stamps as souvenirs. Didn’t care about a compostela. I got sellos from albergues, bars, restaurants, retails shops, and turismo offices.
Thanks for your response I do know where to get my sellos and you did give a comprehensive list. But my question is if this policy that you are supposed to get a stamp in the morning from the same town that you slept in was strictly adhered to ( I have never done this on my 7 caminos and have never even been questioned about my sellos when I go to the pilgrim office), what happens if you leave really early and nothing is open in the town you slept in. For example my last two caminos I slept in Lavacolla and left very early in the morning. It was December both years and nothing was open. So technically, I would have to wait until some store or bar opens that has a sello before I can leave? It is just a hypothetical as I have no intention of following this rule.

But my question is if this policy that you are supposed to get a stamp in the morning from the same town that you slept in was strictly adhered to
I don't know what policy you are talking about. There is no policy that you need to get a stamp in the morning in the same town that you slept in.

The policy that's quoted in the first post of this thread applies to those who are restarting their Camino in the same place that they had left off on a prior trip. It has nothing to do with the policy of getting two stamps per day in the final 100 km. You can get a stamp anywhere during the day - at a church, a bar, or from someone offering sellos along the trail, etc. Then get your second stamp where you stop for the night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't know what policy you are talking about. There is no policy that you need to get a stamp in the morning in the same town that you slept in.

The policy that's quoted in the first post of this thread applies to those who are restarting their Camino in the same place that they had left off on a prior trip. It has nothing to do with the policy of getting two stamps per day in the final 100 km. You can get a stamp anywhere during the day - at a church, a bar, or from someone offering sellos along the trail, etc. Then get your second stamp where you stop for the night.
I got this information from Nancy Reynolds who has a podcast. I had never heard this before so I wrote her.
Her is a portion what I wrote her and her response:
I wrote:
Anyway you said that technically you should get a stamp from the albergue you are staying at and then from a shop or bar etc. in the same town when you leave in the morning. I think I heard you say this on another occasion also. I apologize if I heard you incorrectly. I was told on my first camino the exact opposite. I have also read the same on the camino forum. Heard other pilgrims mention it on the camino to new pilgrims and even was told it once by the young man giving me a Compostela. They have all said that your first stamp of the day should not be in the town you slept in the night before but somewhere along the camino between where you slept and where you will sleep. The reason being is to give some assurance that you actually walked that day and did not take a bus, train or taxi from one town to the next. Of course you could still cheat pretty easily if you wanted to. But you are only cheating yourself. So to make a long winded question longer can you tell me if you are sure about what you said and do you remember the source of this information? I would love to wake up and get a stamp where I am having a coffee and not have to take out by credential until I arrive at the next albergue.
She wrote back this:
Lyle, hi! Thank you for taking the time to write. I appreciate the thoughtfulness with which you presented your question.

I am happy to share the source of the information about where to get your second stamp. It comes from the website of the "Oficina de Acogido al Peregrino" in Santiago, which I understand to be the office that issues the Compostelas.

Here is the exact text from their website:

You can do the Way in stages, provided they are in chronological and geographical order. However, if you only do the minimum required distance (last 100 or 200 km), you must always get your Credencial stamped at the start and end of each stage, including the corresponding date, to show that the pilgrim has resumed the Way in the same place where they last stopped (i.e. you should always get the stamp at the starting point even though you have already stamped the card in the same place at the end of the previous stage).

You can find this text on this page: https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/pilgrimage/the-compostela/

Am I understanding this text correctly? I appreciate your thoughts on this.
Am I completely misunderstanding everything??? It would not be the first time to say the least!

@lt56ny

"You can do the Way in stages, provided they are in chronological and geographical order. However, if you only do the minimum required distance (last 100 or 200 km), you must always get your Credencial stamped at the start and end of each stage, including the corresponding date, to show that the pilgrim has resumed the Way in the same place where they last stopped (i.e. you should always get the stamp at the starting point even though you have already stamped the card in the same place at the end of the previous stage). "

The "stages " referred to are not daily stages, but refer to pilgrims who walk the Camino in several stages over a number of different trips. In this case a "stage" could be just a weekend to several days or weeks. For example a Spaniard walking only on weekends might walk on Saturdays and Sundays over several weekends. Each one of those weekend trips would be a "stage.". Say they start in Sarria the first weekend and get as far as Gonzar that first weekend or "stage." When they return on another weekend they need to get a stamp in Gonzar, they can't wait until say, Ventas de Naron because they need to show the continuity of their Camino since the dates are so far apart. Again, this only applies to pilgrims walking over several trips.

Last edited:
My question was (and maybe I was not clear, sorry): If you need to get your first stamp of the day from the town you slept in the night before, and nothing is open to get that first stamp, technically what are you supposed to do?
I have never heard of a requirement to get the credencial stamped every day in the last 100 km in the morning where you slept the night. The only time you need to get two stamps from the same place is if you stop your journey somewhere in the last 100 km and resume at a later date.

So if I come into Arzua on July 10, 2023 and get a stamp, they will be looking for a stamp on July 11, 2023 somewhere after Arzua, not from Arzua itself. But if the next stamp is dated October 8, 2024, then they think I have left the Camino and completed it at a later date. In that case, they want the October 8 stamp to be in Arzua, too, to show I picked up where I left off.

Does that make any sense?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back