• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Having a Camino Birthday

OldDog7

Time of past OR future Camino
VDLP 2026
Good day. I turn 58 on Saturday, February 17th. I am planning to do the Camino VDLP on my 60th. My wife asked me what I wanted to do on my birthday this weekend. I told her I want a Camino birthday -- watching, The Way and I'll Push You. We also plan to have Spanish-inspired tapas.

Any movie, food, or other recommendations?

Thanks,

OldDog7

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Walking the Camino: Six Ways to Santiago. Beautiful filming. Good stories about pilgrims who are on the journey. None of these movies are on the VDLP, but it won't matter. You'll get the gist of what pilgrimage means to some people.
Thanks. I also saw on other posts that you lived in Boise. We used to live in Star - our son and daughter-in-law still do. Nice to meet you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We don't live in Boise now, but did on our first few Caminos. My husband was one of the American Pilgrims on the Camino Boise Chapter founders. We've lived in Wyoming about 4 years now and getting ready to move to Missouri this summer when I retire to be nearer to ailing parents. We do some kind of Camino every year now (except in 2020) and we also volunteer as hospitaleros. It does get into your soul...

Good day. I turn 58 on Saturday, February 17th. I am planning to do the Camino VDLP on my 60th. My wife asked me what I wanted to do on my birthday this weekend. I told her I want a Camino birthday -- watching, The Way and I'll Push You. We also plan to have Spanish-inspired tapas.

Thanks,

OldDog7
You could also go into Boise down to the Basque district and pick up some pinchos at the Basque Market https://www.thebasquemarket.com/ It isn't the same as where you will be on the VDLP, but the food there is always good and it is made by the descendants of Basque immigrants.

Happy Birthday! I'm partial to the Basque garlic soup (sopa de ajo) and it goes well with the current Boise weather. It's really easy to make and a great course to have with pinxtos. I like this recipe.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Happy Birthday! I'm partial to the Basque garlic soup (sopa de ajo) and it goes well with the current Boise weather. It's really easy to make and a great course to have with pinxtos. I like this recipe.

Wow! Thanks. That looks delicious. I live in NC now but I am sure it will still be good. 😜

You could also go into Boise down to the Basque district and pick up some pinchos at the Basque Market https://www.thebasquemarket.com/ It isn't the same as where you will be on the VDLP, but the food there is always good and it is made by the descendants of Basque immigrants.
Ahh! The Basque Market! One of our favorite places. We love it when they serve Paella outside. We no longer live in Idaho. But we often visit our son there. Thanks again!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@OldDog7 , welcome to the forum, and happy birthday for the 17th!

I have to say your forum name made me laugh when I saw that you will only turn 58 this birthday - that's younger than the majority of the forum members!

Well, at least those that regularly participate .... Myself included.

@OldDog7 , welcome to the forum, and happy birthday for the 17th!

I have to say your forum name made me laugh when I saw that you will only turn 58 this birthday - that's younger than the majority of the forum members!

Well, at least those that regularly participate .... Myself included.
Haha! Thanks for the warm welcome! It's funny, I tend to be one of the older guys in other interests and now I am finding I am on the younger side. Maybe I should change my name to YoungPup? :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Feliz cumple! Yes, I celebrated my move away from Boise and simultaneous first Camino send-off by ordering trays from The Basque Market, in 2021…maybe something comparable in NC?? Buen camino, you kid you…

Thanks,

OldDog7

Happy Birthday!

If you haven't seen the movie Ocho Apellidos Vascos yet, I totally recommend it. This romcom was the highest-grossing Spanish movie ever when it was released a few years ago, and it's hilarious.

I believe you can still find it on Netflix in the US. It's called Spanish Affair in English. It's not Camino related, but it does follow a guy from Seville to the Basque region as he tries to connect with a girl he met in his hometown cafe in Seville. Since you'll be walking the VDLP, perhaps the scenes in Andalucía will whet your appetite! :)

There's also a sequel called Ocho Apellidos Catalanes (the same crew head to Catalonia) and then they just released Ocho Apellidos Marroquís a few weeks ago with a new set of actors.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, Peter!

Making me feel even younger!

I'm going on a short hike later, followed by tapas, and watching The Way and I'll Push You.

Have a super day yourself!

John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What a great Camino Birthday! I started the day off having breakfast at West End Cafe in Pittsboro, NC with friends from Alaska. I came home and watched, I’ll Push You with my wife. I followed this up with a 15k hike around Siloam Missionary Homes, where we live in Snow Camp, NC. I enjoyed a nice coffee Porter after that. We then had a table full of tapas and pinthos with a glass of tempranillo. We are now sitting down to watch, The Way. What a great day. Thank you everyone for your birthday cheer. Buon Comino!

IMG_8846.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8845.jpeg
    IMG_8845.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8849.jpeg
    IMG_8849.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Thanks,

OldDog7
I'm starting the Camino France on April 19 and turn 55 on April 26th!! I was thinking of starting the walk on my birthday but thought, knowing my luck there would be a flight delay and I'd miss it! LOL

Looks like you’ve got things covered. So, Happy Belated Birthday @OldDog7 from Meridian. A stones throw from Star. Sounds like you had a fabulous birthday 🎂 celebrating Camino style. Your walk looks like you were there, very tranquil. I turned 53 on my second Camino years back. What a place to be. The hospi at Santo Domingo gave me the most beautiful pilgrims shell. I’ll treasure it forever. 🥳🎂 Happy Birthday and a Buen Camino. 😎👣🌻 Oh, I’ll have to visit the Basque Market here. Never been.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.