• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Head Lamp Features

Ric

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017, Frances 2018. Frances 2022
My wife and I start our first Camino from SJPP May 26. We are both filled with excitement and concern, but we'll be fine. In life we've learned to take things as they come and just deal with them the best we can. This site has been incredibly informative, helping us to prepare. Thank you all!!!

I understand headlamps are very useful. Prices and features vary. What features are recommended?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I went with the Black Diamond Revolt. The features that stood out for me was the ability to use white or red light, adjustable for beam or wide angle, adjustable brightness, rechargeable, and it uses the same charging cable as my Samsung phone and Sony camera so I only have to bring one charging cable. It will also take normal batteries. It has served me well on many months of caminos.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome to the Forum, Ric!
Also, make sure it's lightweight. Some headlamps are pretty heavy. But you can find some that only weigh a bit.

I bought this one from REI Outlet: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/898762/black-diamond-cosmo-headlamp. It had white light, red light, and weighed in at 3.2 oz. It takes 3 AAA batteries (which, come to think of it, is a lot of batteries!) but you can easily find AAA batteries throughout Spain.

Buen Camino!
Faith

Last edited:
Black Diamond Ion (80 lumens version). Lots of features, including red light, while simple to use. Good battery life, if used at low power. Weighs 46 gram, including batteries and is waterproof (IPX8). Priced in the lower end of the better quality range (and as usual, mine was on sale :D).

There are more powerful versions of the Ion, but battery life suffers accordingly, and some of them are only IPX4, which is barely adequate for rainy weather.

The best feature of any headlamp regardless of quality or cost is the ability to keep it stowed in your bag when you are in an alburge.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The headlamp can be useful for attending to blisters while sitting in a dark bunk. Also if you plan to walk in the dark. Otherwise, please don't use the head-strap feature!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My wife and I start our first Camino from SJPP May 26. We are both filled with excitement and concern, but we'll be fine. In life we've learned to take things as they come and just deal with them the best we can. This site has been incredibly informative, helping us to prepare. Thank you all!!!

I understand headlamps are very useful. Prices and features vary. What features are recommended?

-An adjustable strap that goes around your head.
-A white light with adjustable intensity.
-An 'interlock' feature that prevents the light from coming on accidentally in your pack and draining your battery.
-Triple A batteries.
-A pivot so the direction of the aim of the beam can be adjusted up or down.
-lightweight
-As cheap as possible unless you have an ongoing requirement for a head lamp after the camino.

You don't need:
-red light
-flashing light
-several options of white light
-waterproof
-warranty

Last year I brought a headlamp that I bought at the last minute for one dollar from a discount store. Not too many features at that price, but you could adjust the angle of the light, which I found important. Unfortunately, I left it at the albergue in Ponferrada. I've just purchased this Petzl E +LITE headlamp, which is very lightweight and has both white and red lights.

The best feature of any headlamp regardless of quality or cost is the ability to keep it stowed in your bag when you are in an alburge.

I would have thought it would be better than turning on the overhead light surely? Or tripping over in the dark on the way to the loo.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I went with the Black Diamond Revolt. The features that stood out for me was the ability to use white or red light, adjustable for beam or wide angle, adjustable brightness, rechargeable, and it uses the same charging cable as my Samsung phone and Sony camera so I only have to bring one charging cable. It will also take normal batteries. It has served me well on many months of caminos.
I'll check it out; thank you!

Carried one and only used it once.
Starting out before daylight on the final stretch into Santiago.
Because we were on a road, I led with one facing forward and Pat was behind me with one facing backwards.
Not sure I would bother with one again....

I would have thought it would be better than turning on the overhead light surely? Or tripping over in the dark on the way to the loo.
Obviously, you would not turn on the overhead lights, unless you want to gain a bad reputation on the Camino. ;)
Many of the albergues don't get so dark at night that you need a lot of light. Last year I carried a small key chain light like[/U] that just had a red light. It was also left behind in Ponferrada. :(

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought a three lamp LED headlamp from Amazon with a red light in back ... 5000 lumens, yes - 5000 lumen with variable settings and focus, rechargeable batteries and waterproof ! $25.00 USD We used our old one on many dark mornings but it was woefully inadequate and it was 180 lumens.

Last edited:
I got my particular head lamp because I use it outside the Camino as well. I shy away from items that I can only use on the Camino.

For me, there are three essentials:
  • Long battery life on AA(A) batteries (no button cells for me, please).
  • Needs to be waterproof. I go camping in them woods, where it has been known to rain at night now and then. Twould also be a major bummer not to be able to use it, if I got lost after dark in rainy conditions.
  • Must have red light. I value my night vision, so I use that feature a lot. In fact, probably more than I use the white light.

Carried one and only used it once.
Starting out before daylight on the final stretch into Santiago.
Because we were on a road, I led with one facing forward and Pat was behind me with one facing backwards.
Not sure I would bother with one again....
Did you ever need one to find your way to the bathroom at night?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
NEVER EVER EVER use a headlamp in an alburgue. EVER.
But if you do, be sure you're holding in your hand where you have better control of where it shines, not on your forehead where it has the magic power to indiscriminately shine directly into everyone else's face.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But if you do, be sure you're holding in your hand where you have better control of where it shines, not on your forehead where it has the magic power to indiscriminately shine directly into everyone else's face.

There is no "but if you do." If you need a light use a very small keychain light.

Black Diamond Ion. Only use it for camping and immediate area not trying to cycle or walk by night.
When dressed for the trail I wear it round my neck as have a habit of saying 'not dark yet not dark yet' right up until its too dark to find my lights. Also when I wake up in the dark I know immediately where it is.
I lost the last one as the one time I decided to pack it I never found it again.
Prefer units with replaceable batteries that I can buy as dont find usb charging units have sufficient battery storage even with led lights.
I do carry a 'pebble' charging unit but reserve that for gps and phone.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.