• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Head Torch

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Hi Pilgrims

I've been looking at head Torches over the last couple of days, I didn't realise there was such a choice and reading the reviews some could act as runway lights for the airport.

Im not really planning on getting early starts where its pitch black outside, or going on until late in the evening, but you never know what circumstance may reveal themselves. I also won't be using it for a midnight trip to the loo, Ive read how annoying that can be to fellow pilgrims.

My question is, what type, lumins etc should I get?
If it doesn't get used on the camino I'll certainly find a use for it at home, so, El Cheapo with a light throw of 5 metres wouldn't really be any good, on the other hand I don't live near an airport, so doubling up, as a runway light is also out of the question.

Thanks Pilgrims i know you'll come up with an inbetweener.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walking in May and June we found our headtorches to be the most useless things we brought. If they hadn't been so costly we would have pitched them.

If we were walking earlier in the spring or later in the fall that might have changed things.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Pilgrims

I've been looking at head Torches over the last couple of days, I didn't realise there was such a choice and reading the reviews some could act as runway lights for the airport.

Im not really planning on getting early starts where its pitch black outside, or going on until late in the evening, but you never know what circumstance may reveal themselves. I also won't be using it for a midnight trip to the loo, Ive read how annoying that can be to fellow pilgrims.

If it doesn't get used on the camino I'll certainly find a use for it at home, so, El Cheapo with a light throw of 5 metres wouldn't really be any good, on the other hand I don't live near an airport, so doubling up, as a runway light is also out of the question.

Hi, I walked the Camino Frances in April /May and the only time I used the head lights was early in the morning to pack my backpack in the albergue. I left the albergue at about 06.30 and at that time it was light and the need for using the head lights was not there. Wish you well, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Headtorches are among the most utilized instruments and the most detested in albergues all along the Camino. Not everyone wishes to rise before 0500 and some of my own worst memories involve groups of pilgrims kerthumping around in the dark flashing their headtorches with each movement into every corner and every bleary eye in the albergue. Not a pilgrim friendly piece of equipment while a red lens may help to relieve fellow pilgrim irritation and agrivation I have seen only a very few.

Starting in March you will need one. I never once needed it or wanted it on my head. They make some tiny hand lights Google browning

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@wayfarer thanks for the link, that looks to good to be true, for that price I'll have one.

I did mention in then original post that I wasn't planning on using the head torch in the Albergue, having seen all the posts about this annoying trait, I don't want to be one of them.

I will be travelling in Sept / Oct, and having looked at the sunrise / sunset it doesn't appear to get light until 8 is, or have I got that wrong?

Thanks for all the reply's, really helpful.

@wayfarer thanks for the link, that looks to good to be true, for that price I'll have one.

I did mention in then original post that I wasn't planning on using the head torch in the Albergue, having seen all the posts about this annoying trait, I don't want to be one of them.

I will be travelling in Sept / Oct, and having looked at the sunrise / sunset it doesn't appear to get light until 8 is, or have I got that wrong?

You are likely right, I walked in late Sept '13 and it did not get light until 7.30 or so.

Sun rises before 7:00am in September-early October; no need to start walking earlier, because:
- day-heat is usually bearable then;
- less folks to take away your bunk;
- you'll typically do 5 to 6 hours of walk per day....arriving at your next destination latest at 1:00 or 2:00pm with rests in between.
Headlamps are un-necessary and tend to be a nuisance to others, because most people are not familiar of using them correctly. The spotlight of a miniature torch (the kind that also serve as keychain) is much better controllable. Myself, I used the flashlight app on my iPhone in those rare occasions when it was pitch-dark.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walking in May and June we found our headtorches to be the most useless things we brought. If they hadn't been so costly we would have pitched them.

Wow, that shows how each Camino is unique, right? My husband and I used ours so much! Many, many mornings is May because we would start around 6am and it was so dark!
We started really earl because we couldn't cope with the heat near midday, so we tried to cover as much as we could waaay before siesta.

But for the OP, just get a very light and cheap one, that you could use as hand torch to light the inside of your backpack while searching for things. That's probably enough.

Black diamond ion

Or mammut s flex.

I have a mammut 4 LED flood for night trekking.

Too strong for the albergue.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Excuse the bold font, don't know how to change it on my tablet.
I'm bringing a Nite Ize SpotLit LED Carabiner Light - Disc-O for the albergue and a Black Diamond headlight for early morning. Since I've had a couple of acquaintances bitten by snakes, I want to see what I'm walking on. I'm a very slow walker and I'm sure I'll be setting out be core sunrise. I've been using my headlight at sunset and later also for the purpose of making myself very visible to cars.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @Waka, are you in the UK? If so, have a look in your local Cotswolds for one of these - I took a head lamp twice and left it both times, but this one is a keeper. It has enough light for me to see to walk in, you can focus the beam to find arrows (tried and tested), it weighs nowt and takes easy to find batteries. Also if you light it and keep the beam straight down to the floor it is pretty non-annoying for other pilgrims. My husband has inherited this and I use an even lighter and simpler one which glows in the dark ... I can find my way to the loo by that glow alone. Both cost £5, winner.

Yes @nidarosa I am in the UK and will take your advice and have a look at them, I've still got a few odds and ends to get, and I have to say my shop of choice is Cotswold Outdoor.

Excuse the bold font, don't know how to change it on my tablet.
I'm bringing a Nite Ize SpotLit LED Carabiner Light - Disc-O for the albergue and a Black Diamond headlight for early morning. Since I've had a couple of acquaintances bitten by snakes, I want to see what I'm walking on. I'm a very slow walker and I'm sure I'll be setting out be core sunrise. I've been using my headlight at sunset and later also for the purpose of making myself very visible to cars.
Thanks makes reading easier on my phone!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked in mid-September to October last year and found myself playing "where's Wally" with the yellow arrows in the early mornings more than a few times.
So I'm taking this Petzl one on my Camino at the same time this year:
http://www.backpackinglight.com.au/store/petzl-eandlite/dp/4662
It's absurdly tiny and light. Attaches easily, and has a couple of red settings to avoid making early morning enemies.

Hi Pilgrims

I walked in April/May and just had a really tiny hand torch just for going to toilet at night and occasionally for packing in the morning. I did not feel the need to go really early in the morning at that time of year. I was sometimes annoyed by being woken up by other people's head torches shining in my eyes when people got up really early. I can see that in the really hot weather an early start would be good but head torches are somewhat anti social, so maybe either think of something else or use it with consideration and care for the other pilgrims around you if you are going to get up super early!

Yay!

I'm so glad you won't be using it in the albergues! Had a spectacular pre-dawn light show courtesy of headlamps just this morning in an albergue. (Sadly, the flashing lights make it around the edges of my eye mask).

Best of luck finding the right head lamp for you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A little keychain flashlight (like this one) is more then bright enough to sort out your stuff in the dark or find your way to the toilet.
Just make sure it has a on-switch so you don't have to keep pressing it to keep it lit.

I do advise to bring a little torch also.
Even at 0700 it can still be really dark if you're walking in a forest under heavy canopy. It's nice if you can avoid otherwise unseen puddles etc.!

Scanning the road ahead/left/right without bobbing my head like a freaking robot is why I prefer a flashlight over a headlamp.

There is really no reason for a headlamp unless you plan on walking at night either end. I still would not take a head lamp just a hand torch.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
PS Bring the miserable thing if you must, please, pretty please, if you are among the kerthumpers, no plastic bags. The flashing lights are bad enough but when plastic bag stuffing joins the chorus life really is unbearable.

I walked in mid-September to October last year and found myself playing "where's Wally" with the yellow arrows in the early mornings more than a few times.
So I'm taking this Petzl one on my Camino at the same time this year:
http://www.backpackinglight.com.au/store/petzl-eandlite/dp/4662
It's absurdly tiny and light. Attaches easily, and has a couple of red settings to avoid making early morning enemies.

I brought a heavier one last year and just purchased this one, as well.

You will not need a head lamp in the albergues. You may not need one that often on the trail either, depending on when you walk, but I personally used one at dawn here and there and inevitably you may find yourself coming in at dusk or later a night or two, in which case you can use it to see the trail and search for arrows, as well as make yourself visible to traffic as sometimes you will be walking alongside highways. (Also good for this reason on foggy, rainy days.)

I just received the Petzl e + lite and on the package it reads that it is merely 26 grams, (.9 oz).

I sat in the albergue at 4am in portomarin, and there were a large number of peeps leaving. The albergues are all full in palas de rai. The one out of town has space.

Good idea to have a strong head torch if you want to be in the racing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My wife and I walked the Camino in Sept/Oct.
She preferred a Head Torch. I preferred a handheld Flashlight.
My handheld is a very small 9V battery with a snap on 6LED end. I cared it in my pocket.
One battery lasted the whole trip.
Search.... 9 Volt LED Flashlight Torch on eBay it is $6 or less
9V6LED.PNG
If it was calling for a hot sunny day we left 1 or 2 hours before sunrise.
If it was calling for rain later, we left 1 or 2 hours before sunrise.
Nether of us went to use a bathroom without the 9V 6LED.
If you haven't been there... Spanish bathroom lights are on a very short timer.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back