• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Health insurance for U.S. pilgrims

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023 Camino Frances July 2024 TBD where
Hi All! I'm about to leave for Camino Frances in 2 days and did not buy any travel insurance yet. Wondering if anyone has specific recs? I see tons of options and don't want to overdo the insurance if I don't need to. Thanks so much!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can recommend AXA insurance. I bought it through SquareMouth.com. If you decline coverage for prepaid expenses (flights, hotels, etc.) it's quite inexpensive. You will still be covered in case of flight delays, lost luggage, etc. I bought it because it is primary medical coverage - you aren't required to submit the claim to your regular health insurance first.

I bought the Platinum policy last year, and it really paid off when I broke my wrist in Portugal and had to have two surgeries there. They reimbursed me for 100% of my claim. It did take a few months to receive the check, but it saved me thousands of dollars.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can recommend AXA insurance. I bought it through SquareMouth.com. If you decline coverage for prepaid expenses (flights, hotels, etc.) it's quite inexpensive. You will still be covered in case of flight delays, lost luggage, etc. I bought it because it is primary medical coverage - you aren't required to submit the claim to your regular health insurance first.

I bought the Platinum policy last year, and it really paid off when I broke my wrist in Portugal and had to have two surgeries there. They reimbursed me for 100% of my claim. It did take a few months to receive the check, but it saved me thousands of dollars.
Super, I am researching now whether I should do primary or secondary. Primary i am learning is much more efficient!

Last season I bought the insurance that came with my ticket.
I fell outside of Ciraqui and had to go to the ER.
The bill was around €400 and the insurance covered the entire amount.

Super, I am researching now whether I should do primary or secondary. Primary i am learning is much more efficient!
Definitely more efficient. I had to have a primary policy last year because we were on a Marketplace,(ACA) plan that provides no coverage out of the country.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I like GeoBlue. You can buy a year policy that will cover for an unlimited number of trips for up to (I think) six weeks each. There are a couple of options, I bought the more expensive one and paid about $200, but again, that is for the entire year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have seen such an offer when I have purchased my tickets over the years. Which airlines have you used for this type of purchase? Which insurance companies?

Hi All! I'm about to leave for Camino Frances in 2 days and did not buy any travel insurance yet. Wondering if anyone has specific recs? I see tons of options and don't want to overdo the insurance if I don't need to. Thanks so I

Hi All! I'm about to leave for Camino Frances in 2 days and did not buy any travel insurance yet. Wondering if anyone has specific recs? I see tons of options and don't want to overdo the insurance if I don't need to. Thanks so much!
In the USA you present your health insurance card and you settle up later. Worst-case you pay a copay and/or your deductible. With travel insurance you have to settle up with the provider and then submit with travel insurance for reimbursement. For this reason you should carry enough credit cards with sufficient balance to pay at time of service. Good thing, fees in Spain are much more reasonable. Print a few CMS-1500 forms. Complete the personal info in advanced. Most providers will complete and then send you a completed pdf. My USA carrier accepts and has reimbursed me. Especially since the fees are so unbelievably low.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What did the insurance cost you?

I have seen such an offer when I have purchased my tickets over the years. Which airlines have you used for this type of purchase? Which insurance companies?
If you buy the insurance offered at the time that you purchase your tickets make sure to read what is covered. The airline does not provide the insurance - it comes from one of the large travel insurance companies.

Something doesn't seem right, two surgeries? How long were you in Portugal? Without knowing any details I would think surgeries would have been performed back in the USA. Your injuries would have been stabilize for further treatment back in the USA so adequate follow-up could be performed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Something doesn't seem right, two surgeries? How long were you in Portugal? Without knowing any details I would think surgeries would have been performed back in the USA. Your injuries would have been stabilize for further treatment back in the USA so adequate follow-up could be performed.
I had to have surgery the day that it happened because the bone had broken through the skin. They placed an external fixation device (I called it my Franken-arm). Then 9 days later they removed it and put in a metal plate. I would not have wanted to fly with the Franken-arm. We then waited about a week to fly home, because I needed to ice my arm several times a day. Plus I was able to fly home on my originally scheduled flight.
It also would have cost me a lot more to have surgery in the US, and I received great care in Portugal. I messaged my doctor before I got home and she set up appointments for me for suture removal and to see the orthopedist here, who prescribed a course of occupational therapy.

I had to have surgery the day that it happened because the bone had broken through the skin. They placed an external fixation device (I called it my Franken-arm). Then 9 days later they removed it and put in a metal plate. I would not have wanted to fly with the Franken-arm. We then waited about a week to fly home, because I needed to ice my arm several times a day. Plus I was able to fly home on my originally scheduled flight.
It also would have cost me a lot more to have surgery in the US, and I received great care in Portugal. I messaged my doctor before I got home and she set up appointments for me for suture removal and to see the orthopedist here, who prescribed a course of occupational therapy.
Well, you put me in my place. I stand humbly corrected. How did it happen?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...
Hi all, just a quickie. My friend is near Burgos and needs a chairopractor to give his back a click 😳 Apparently he has it done when home in Canada (it straightens the spine )but doesn't know if...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.