• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hearing the call, again

Maggie97520

Time of past OR future Camino
CDF Fall 2013, CDF Spring 2014
Even though I've walked two Caminos and the Dingle Way in the last 2 years, I still hear the call to return. After 6 months of relative inactivity, I decided to stop resisting and to start training again. I have absolutely no idea how or when I'm going back to a Camino de Santiago, but at least I'll be ready to walk -- unless I go next week, which would require a miracle :)

One question: Does this exquisite longing for the pilgrimage ever dissipate? I ask that purposefully, because it is a wonderful feeling, but it does make it hard to settle down and work.

Buen Camino forum members and muchas gracias for your experience, wisdom, and generosity,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

One question: Does this exquisite longing for the pilgrimage ever dissipate? I ask that purposefully, because it is a wonderful feeling, but it does make it hard to settle down and work.

Buen Camino forum members and muchas gracias for your experience, wisdom, and generosity,

Maggie,

Like all great loves that for the camino never lessens! It may be part of you forever if only a sweet sadness of memory.

Although with age and the force of circumstance my body may falter hopefully my spirit will continue to look for the arrows marking the path ahead. Always.

MM

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Maggie,

Like all great loves that for the camino never lessens! It may be part of you forever if only a sweet sadness of memory.

Although with age and the force of circumstance my body may falter hopefully my spirit will continue to look for the arrows marking the path ahead. Always.

MM

So beautifully said. Thank you.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. In fact I've decided if I snag a really low airfare to Madrid, I'm off. I mean a real bargain.
I know my family will think I'm a bit odd for walking the Camino again (who the heck am I fooling, they thought I was a flake before I ever walked the Camino ;)), but I would do it anyway.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
MSpath
That wa absolutly poetic and Beautiful
Any more words i add to the sentiment would shatter the moment :)

Even though I've walked two Caminos and the Dingle Way in the last 2 years, I still hear the call to return. After 6 months of relative inactivity, I decided to stop resisting and to start training again. I have absolutely no idea how or when I'm going back to a Camino de Santiago, but at least I'll be ready to walk -- unless I go next week, which would require a miracle :)

Hi Maggie, in my case the calling gets lauder. It started with the training with my wife for her Camino in 2013. In 2014 we walked from Sarria to Finistere together. I just finished my Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago. Next year we walk from Porto to Santiago. I think the feeling is never go away again. Wish you well and more great walks. Peter.

Hi Maggie, in my case the calling gets lauder. It started with the training with my wife for her Camino in 2013. In 2014 we walked from Sarria to Finistere together. I just finished my Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago. Next year we walk from Porto to Santiago. I think the feeling is never go away again. Wish you well and more great walks. Peter.

It is profound, isn't it. Like mspath said, there is that "sweet sadness of memory" -- I walked the first time on my own and knew before I reached Santiago I would return. 5 months later I walked with my youngest daughter and again, I knew I would return.

I have to admit for the last 6 months or so I've been trying to ignore the longing to return and focus on work. But it wasn't until I said yes to my heart that I finally felt at peace. Something about those long days of walking in contemplation, grace and gratitude makes me feel connected to a greater being. And then there's the joy of being on the road with other pilgrims. :)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maggie
You have woke my traveling Guardian Angel
She whispers like the song of the sirens Odysseus strained to join.
Its been long years since she stirred,
Casting aside dusty covers to rise anew

Over a year sits between me and the dust of Spain.
Mayhap we'll all meet under those distant skys
And share the cup of life between us

If i can have my bodies use for just a little while longer...i would breath deep of that air..and smile in my soul.
Buen Camino
Good Road..but deeperin meaning than the simple,words

Hi Maggie (hope you don't mind if I shorten your username!)
I have only just returned two weeks ago and am already feeling like I need to do it again! I'm not sure what's happening to me and was going to start my own post but feel a bit nervous to do that. I was happy to be coming home, but I'm having such strong emotions since returning home - things I'd hoped I would sort out on the Camino seem to have only become more alive. I have become more alive! And there is some pain involved in this as I feel like I kind of stopped living maybe six years ago after a traumatic event. I know it's a good thing to "wake up" but, as I say, there is also quite a lot of emotional pain involved at the moment
It kind of feels like I've done a pre-Camino, but now I need to do a real Camino.
I did the short trek from Sarria to SDC, and to be honest I was a bit cynical about the spiritual side of it all, just thought I was going for a looong walk, but something seems to have happened to me.
I wonder if others have felt this way???
I may just be losing my mind, of course!

Hi Maggie, we walked the Camino Frances last year, leave for the Dingle July 30th and plan to do the Camino Portugues in 2017. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about the Camino and the freedom and peace it brings. One of our Camino friends stayed with us recently and agreed that she and her friend think about it daily too. Thanks for your thought provoking question! :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will start my 5th Camino in Aug. No matter how hard I try I can last only a day or two after completing one before I begin contemplating the next. Sometimes I find myself saying " next time I will try this alternative or stay at this village" I have no explanation I just appreciate that I have something I can feel very passionate about and that is somehow uniquely mine.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back