• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heat Wave warning France, August 2023

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Time of past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Several Départements have an Orange heatwave alert currently, but looking at the maps and the predictions, whilst several Caminos are impacted, it's the Le Puy and Vézelay routes which will be hardest hit, so do be careful pilgrims, look for cold water from locals in the villages, and Bon Chemin !!

https://vigilance.meteofrance.fr/fr

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's nice and warm on the Camino today, though just another 2 or 3 degrees would be really lovely.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not funny. If the authorities in France are issuing alerts about extreme weather, we should take them seriously. They know what they are talking about.
Yes please be careful. I’m in Lectoure on the Le Puy Way. High 30s by mid afternoon. And climbing. Have seen many exhausted pilgrims in recent days. If you’re walking, best to start early and shorter days if possible. 🥵

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The walk from Lectoure to Condom some shade, the operating word being « some ».
True, some - but certainly not a lot. We walk between Lectoure and Condom regularly. And the stages immediately before Lectoure also have 'some' but not very much shade. Always good to take a break in the shade, but eventually if you are between accommodations you have to keep going.

@DaysWeSpend In Lectoure, further along from Cahors, the already hot days are set to get even hotter until Thursday then a much cooler change, fingers crossed. Wonder if you have the time to walk short distances or even take a few days off. Take care out there.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@DaysWeSpend In Lectoure, further along from Cahors, the already hot days are set to get even hotter until Thursday then a much cooler change, fingers crossed. Wonder if you have the time to walk short distances or even take a few days off. Take care out there.
Ooof. We’re all walking into the heat until Friday or so. After tomorrow, we have some shorter days planned. I’ve got some electrolytes from the pharmacy (like pedialite). Literally my life saver right now.

You take care, too!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you, but we're not walking at the moment. We are living in Lectoure so staying out of the heat. Best wishes for coming days and feel free to be in touch if you're stopping in Lectoure.
Thanks so much! I’ll send you a message when we’re closer to Lectoure. 😄

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm in Saugues right now, and it has been brutal. I'm walking with a hiking umbrella, which helps a little.
It's getting to be blimming hot down here too !!

Don't be shy !! Ask any locals that you meet for cool or cold water, and permission to rest in their shade.

Last edited:
Today and tomorrow are likely to be the worst of it, particularly on the starting sections of the Le Puy route, as the Haute-Loire is now in red alert.

BTW these dog days also seem to be quite bad in Italy, so the pilgrims on the Roman routes are liable to be suffering too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just saw that MeteoFrance has just placed 19 additional departments on weather red alert including Gers.

The departments now include:
Ain, Loire, Isère, Lozère, Gard, Vaucluse, Hérault, Aveyron, Tarn, Tarn-et-Garonne, Aude, Lot, Lot-et-Garonne, Haute-Garonne, Gers, already red alert since yesterday for l'Ardèche, la Drôme, la Haute-Loire et Rhône.
Stay safe.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just saw that MeteoFrance has just placed 19 additional departments on weather red alert including Gers.

The departments now include:
Ain, Loire, Isère, Lozère, Gard, Vaucluse, Hérault, Aveyron, Tarn, Tarn-et-Garonne, Aude, Lot, Lot-et-Garonne, Haute-Garonne, Gers, already red alert since yesterday for l'Ardèche, la Drôme, la Haute-Loire et Rhône.
Stay safe.
Ouch !!

I should point out that the link I gave in OP is live and dynamic, and links to the current situation any and every day.

That red alert picture is tomorrow's.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Red alerts for tomorrow, Thursday, August 24.
publiée le 23 août 2023 à 06h31 (heure métropole)
valable le 24 août 2023 de 00h00 à minuit (heure métropole)
I walked Rocamadour to Labastide-Murat today with no problems. Lovely countryside. The usual recommendations apply: start early, drink plenty. For me, it’s important to keep moving. Too many breaks add up to more time in the heat at the end. Of course, take a break when you need it. I left Rocamadour at 6:00 am and arrived Labastide at 11:20 am. Temp was 88F/31C when I arrived. An hour later after sitting on a park bench in the shade to eat lunch, it was 94F/34C. Now at 5:30 pm it is 100F/38C.

I am driving home to Gers on Friday from eastern France and several weather applications are talking of a drop of 20C in temperatures for Friday-Saturday due to thunderstorms.
We will see..we all have to be careful walking/Hiking especially with heat.

Red alerts for tomorrow, Thursday, August 24.
publiée le 23 août 2023 à 06h31 (heure métropole)
valable le 24 août 2023 de 00h00 à minuit (heure métropole)
I walked Rocamadour to Labastide-Murat today with no problems. Lovely countryside. The usual recommendations apply: start early, drink plenty. For me, it’s important to keep moving. Too many breaks add up to more time in the heat at the end. Of course, take a break when you need it. I left Rocamadour at 6:00 am and arrived Labastide at 11:20 am. Temp was 88F/31C when I arrived. An hour later after sitting on a park bench in the shade to eat lunch, it was 94F/34C. Now at 5:30 pm it is 100F/38C.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wore my wind jacket for only the second time today. The walk into SdC was suddenly surprisingly nippy mid morning today, despite a very warm sweaty early morning eucalyptus walk to Amenal and up to the airport. The sudden drop in temperature from the now acclimatized warm humid early morning to a fresh, breezy and dare I say it 'cold' mid morning and early afternoon really was a bit of a shock after weeks of high temperatures. Strangely, it's turned a bit warmer again! Galicia!

It's beginning to be a little less hot down here on the French Riviera too, and the red alerts in France are all gone, and tomorrow the orange alerts will be gone too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Rained here -- and got to make use of my big black pilgrim's cape !!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The heat is back in force this week! Be careful out there. IMG_8784.png

I think there'll be another week to 10 days of it, but not as bad as it was.

Well, back to orange heat alerts tomorrow, but they will be hitting pilgrims on the Paris and Vézelay Ways.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hooray !! It's cooled down !!

Down here, there was a proper rainstorm.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back