• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heat waves...walking in August.

Jadviga

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo-2023, Le Puy-2024-?
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold and rainy (thinking about del Norte). However, I am a bit worried about the summer heat at the moment... Europe, including France, has been experiencing extreme heat waves in recent years. So I'm not sure if August is a good time to start the pilgrimage or if it's better to wait a bit and start later... Maybe you can share your experience of walking the Way in August and/or experiencing heat waves. I know this is not a specific question...rather I would like to hear how it went for you in order to better plan my own journey. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have walked several times in August/September and it can get hot, very hot. Especially last year I had many days with temperatures in the high 30’s. I am fairly ‘heat resistant’ but at times I felt ‘well done’ at the end of the day. My recipe for hot days is to take it easy, drink a lot and wear a wide brimmed hat – but only you will know how you react to the heat. It is something that should be considered; Heat stroke is no joke!

Last edited:
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold and rainy (thinking about del Norte). However, I am a bit worried about the summer heat at the moment... Europe, including France, has been experiencing extreme heat waves in recent years. So I'm not sure if August is a good time to start the pilgrimage or if it's better to wait a bit and start later... Maybe you can share your experience of walking the Way in August and/or experiencing heat waves. I know this is not a specific question...rather I would like to hear how it went for you in order to better plan my own journey. :)

I walked through several heatwaves in '22, with temperatures sometimes over 40°C.

It is important to start walking early and avoid the worst of the heat.

Several pilgrims I met walked in the night, or walked a few hours in the morning, then rested all day in the shade, and continued to walk for a few hours late in the evening well into the dark.

I learned to love the heat and don't mind it anymore. But you have to be careful. Some days I was pretty dehydrated at the end of the day, and a few times I almost fainted while walking, even though I always had enough water ect.

Bring electrolytes. Expect to sometimes carry a lot of water. Drench yourself under every fountain you find. Walk slowly. Rest for a moment whenever there is shade. Wear a hat.

I love to walk in summer!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walk best on solar energy. Having said that, I tend to start early and try to walk as many kms as possible before noon. That way you can take it easier during the hottest part of the day. I seldom wear a hat (don't like the feeling) so on the VF in 2022 I had a close call: suddenly couldn't read the screen of my mobile phone anymore and felt generally off and weird. Heatstroke can really creep up on you. My safarihat saved the day and I wore it more often after that day. And drink water like there's no tomorrow.

I walked from Le Puy to Santiago in 2023, starting Aug 10. The second week was very hot. In addition to the usual advice about plenty of fluids, taking breaks, proper clothing, etc, I began my days at 6:00 a.m. and was usually finished by noon. Pack a headlamp for walking in the dark. After that, I tried to find a cool place until the gite or albergue opened. Most of them are not air conditioned, so do the best you can to stay cool and hydrated until the sun goes down. I had only two really hot spells of up to a week each.

I walked the CF six years ago in August and the Le Puy five years ago in August. Both times I started at 630 am ( it was light) and finished by 3 pm. I wear a hat, long sleeves and long pants. I carried 1.5 litres of water.
I found these caminos easier than my recent CF last October. The first two weeks were above 30 degrees Celsius and it didn't get light until 830 am. I started walking at 8 am. The heat was extreme by 11am. I felt like I was walking longer in the heat. No heat stroke but exhausted one day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked from Le Puy to Santiago and started in early September. It was 2015 and it was hot and that was before the recent and probably not ending anytime, disastrous and life threatening heat waves that Europe and especially the Iberian peninsula is experiencing. From what I read here September is not any better. I used to start my caminos towards the end of September. Now I start them in mid to late October. Yes there is rain and it gets colder. But you can always put on extra layers if it is cold. I have walked in December and on most days in Galicia I know to just wear a couple of outer layers because I know within a few mnutes I warm up. Yes it does rain. Last November when I did my final leg of my camino on the coastal CP it was raining hard, I mean really hard much of every day. I will take my chances in cold and wet weather any time over extreme heat, getting up to walk at 4:30 or 5:00AM and having to carry 2 or 3 liters of water.
This year, after reading some posts from @C clearly and @peregrina2000 I was about to change my plans and do the Mozarabe and then walk the coastal CP again (It was beautiful and peaceful) hoping that maybe the rain will not be anywhere near as intense. But because of family circumstances I would have to start from Almeria about October 10. So NO WAY is that going to happen. I am back to my original plan of doing the Aragones again, The Madrid and then another Coastal CP.
I just think between the heat and the risk of extreme heat, especially at my age (70) and especially because I walk caminos that do not see many other pilgrims or people, for me and my heat tolerance, no way!
I walked the VDLP starting about OCtober 20th from Sevilla a few years ago. It was 90+F every day for about 8 days. No shade (I would imagine you would be on the Meseta in very early October), and the sun beating down on me relentlessly, it was intense, to say the least.
You have heard all the arguments pro and con. You have to decide.
Other musings. I doubt very much you will find any air conditioning in the Gites. Could be really hot at night, especially sleeping with others. The same could be said and probably worse in the much larger rooms of albergues. Although I am sure there are some private albergues that have A/C on the CF. But I do not have any idea if they cool the rooms well enough. Others can answer this question.
Finally if any of us could predict the weather we would be multimillionaires breaking the bank in Sports Booking rooms in Las Vegas.

I walked last year from Cahors to Pamplona and the first week in September was extraordinarily hot. Lessons learned: start early in the day, plan for shorter walking days, be mindful of the socks you wear ( I walked 18 miles in 91+ degree heat wearing Darn Tough socks and developed blisters between the ball of my foot and my toes that took a visit to the doctor and patience for them to heal…the previous year walking from Le Puy to Cahors in early September was blister free), be mindful of your sock/shoe combination, drink more water than you think you need, find shade to rest in, walk less than 18 miles in a day (!), bring electrolytes for your water, try to find a place for the night that has AC, even if you have to book ahead. Last year after the doctor visit for my blisters, I bought a second pair of shoes (Keen closed toe sandals ) and rotated them with my original pair (Altra Lone Peaks) so that I could avoid always landing on the ball of my foot. I am walking this year from Pamplona to Santiago starting August 18 and will follow my own advice! 🤣🤗

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good question. I have the same concern. Walking the Norte from mid July to mid August. I assume being a coastal route it maybe cooler? Walking early, well covered on the head and watered is my plan. What is the humidity like on the Norte as this can be energy sapping?

we arrived in SJPDP last week of August & commenced walking, it was hot.

I was in France in August a couple of years ago and it was so hot I postponed my walk until 1 September. And I’m glad I did. September was hot but OK and October was even better.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked Le Puy starting August 2022, which had several very hot days. As people have said, starting early helps a lot. Usually, on hot days, I tried to be done walking by 1:00PM or so.

Generally, the heat didn't worry/bother me too much, but there was one day when I walking from Aire-sur-l'Adour to Arzacq-Arraziguet where the temperature was expected to be near 40C (over 100F). A friend and I hired a cab to shorten our walk by about 15km. I noticed other pilgrims taking a bus to do the same thing.

I didn't have problems finding water sources, and on the hot days I would sometimes drench my hat in water. That helped keep me cooler.

Start early - stop early! Drink enough and replenish your minerals.

I walked CF in July 2019 and CP in July 2023 and had temperatures on the CF up to 38°C.
Last year on the CP I had max. temp ~30°C on the coastal part. From Tui on it was more humid and far less hot.

Best way to prevent: start 4:30h to 5h (headlamp!!!) and stop around 12-13h if needed.

I did the VF in August in France back in 2018- early starts, and finishing before 12noon was the aim. Even on the Voie des Capitales and Voie du Littoral in Western France in June 2023 during a heatwave- I often started in the dark before dawn to get 30km days in. I had a UV umbrella which was helpful as portable shade. And carried electrolyte dissolvable tablets- which I did use a few times especially if i walked much in the heat of the day. And my apparent superpower (noted by others) is finding shade!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back