• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heavy rain on camino frances

VictoriaAria

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023
We got freezing rain at the hilltops after castromsior, very bad conditions, our ponchos got ripped and we got everything got soaking wet, it was an adventure to get to palas de rei today! Praying for the rains to ease up for tomorrow! We saw an outdoor clothing place online called OTreito, Material para el Camino & Artesanía, supposed to be open but it wasn't 😬 so don't go there if you need anything today. We found another one up the main road LA HUELLA DEL PEREGRINO " La Tienda de Ionut - El Paralimpico Viajero " (which was supposed to be closed according to Google maps but was open😆) and we got some waterproof pants and jackets! The most useless item in my backpack is my sunglasses!😆...and to think I was concerned that I didn't get sunblock with me!!!😆 I hope we can get safely to Melide tomorrow!🙏 buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We got freezing rain at the hilltops after castromsior, very bad conditions, our ponchos got ripped and we got everything got soaking wet, it was an adventure to get to palas de rei today! Praying for the rains to ease up for tomorrow! We saw an outdoor clothing place online called OTreito, Material para el Camino & Artesanía, supposed to be open but it wasn't 😬 so don't go there if you need anything today. We found another one up the main road LA HUELLA DEL PEREGRINO " La Tienda de Ionut - El Paralimpico Viajero " (which was supposed to be closed according to Google maps but was open😆) and we got some waterproof pants and jackets! The most useless item in my backpack is my sunglasses!😆...and to think I was concerned that I didn't get sunblock with me!!!😆 I hope we can get safely to Melide tomorrow!🙏 buen camino!
Good luck for the weather!!🤞🏻

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We do the "Caminos" always in the winter time, and we never get cold or neither wet. “There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing”, so, plan ahead and prepare. This is not Disneyland at any time of the year. Check always the weather forecast the day before and use your common sense. Buen camino.

We do the "Caminos" always in the winter time, and we never get cold or neither wet. “There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing”, so, plan ahead and prepare. This is not Disneyland at any time of the year. Check always the weather forecast the day before and use your common sense. Buen camino.
I've always done my Caminos later in the year too, and while I applaud your 'No bad weather, only bad gear' statement, your further comment that it's not Disneyland was a bit surprising. We commenting on the weather are out here walking now. We are sharing important information, and anecdotes about our travels. Again, I think we can all be kind in receiving stories from others.

The weather has been strong here. My phone has shown several 'severe' and possible severe weather notices--not just in Portugal. Today and yesterday, the rain has calmed. Just rainy now. But previous days? wow, lots of rain. And, btw, I've summited several mountains and my gear is excellent. Think Gortex. But not everyone can afford that.

Walking Camino Porto--I'm in Santiago now--we pilgrims had a heatwave on the front end (I began 3 Oct), then we had pounding, flooding rain on the back end.

In fact, just last month, Ivar posted photos of the flooding in SDC. Before setting off from Padron, my guesthouse host warned us that water was again flooding SDC, and shops were full of water in the 'old town' area.

Buen Camino, and enjoy every bit of the way---rainy, cold, wet, and windy. Soon I'll come back to share the story of nearly being blown off a bridge. Yes, the weather has been interesting.

Buen 'Disneyland' Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've always done my Caminos later in the year too, and while I applaud your 'No bad weather, only bad gear' statement, your further comment that it's not Disneyland was a bit surprising. We commenting on the weather are out here walking now. We are sharing important information, and anecdotes about our travels. Again, I think we can all be kind in receiving stories from others.

The weather has been strong here. My phone has shown several 'severe' and possible severe weather notices--not just in Portugal. Today and yesterday, the rain has calmed. Just rainy now. But previous days? wow, lots of rain. And, btw, I've summited several mountains and my gear is excellent. Think Gortex. But not everyone can afford that.

Walking Camino Porto--I'm in Santiago now--we pilgrims had a heatwave on the front end (I began 3 Oct), then we had pounding, flooding rain on the back end.

In fact, just last month, Ivar posted photos of the flooding in SDC. Before setting off from Padron, my guesthouse host warned us that water was again flooding SDC, and shops were full of water in the 'old town' area.

Buen Camino, and enjoy every bit of the way---rainy, cold, wet, and windy. Soon I'll come back to share the story of nearly being blown off a bridge. Yes, the weather has been interesting.

Thanks! I'm in the Camino right now too. A pair of gaiters and a Poncho are affordable for all. Buen Camino!

Wow. I finished 10 days ago and the weather was perfect. Sunny and warm every day. I really lucked out.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thank you for this reply. I felt the rudeness and patronizing attitude of the comment but I'm on a pilgrimage and I can only pray for people to be more understanding and maybe keep in mind that the camino is not mainly a sporting event. I had decided not to write anything else here but i have revised my decision and I thank you for that. I'm not a hiker, I'm 53 with a bad ankle and walking the camino with my daughter in gratitude for many things in my life. I have found the information here very helpful and interesting and I believe that sharing our personal experiences, especially concerning the weather, from people that are on the road may be helpful for others that are getting here now or planning their camino soon. We watch the weather forecast every day, the phenomena we encountered on the hilltops of castromaior were beyond anything expected, even the locals that we spoke with in the tavernas were surprised at the intensity. One thing I know is that, no matter how well you prepare for something, there's always an element of surprise and you just need to deal with it. That's why we pray, because we do not control anything really, except maybe the conviction of our faith. 🙏 buen camino!

Thank you for this reply. I felt the rudeness and patronizing attitude of the comment but I'm on a pilgrimage and I can only pray for people to be more understanding and maybe keep in mind that the camino is not mainly a sporting event. I had decided not to write anything else here but i have revised my decision and I thank you for that. I'm not a hiker, I'm 53 with a bad ankle and walking the camino with my daughter in gratitude for many things in my life. I have found the information here very helpful and interesting and I believe that sharing our personal experiences, especially concerning the weather, from people that are on the road may be helpful for others that are getting here now or planning their camino soon. We watch the weather forecast every day, the phenomena we encountered on the hilltops of castromaior were beyond anything expected, even the locals that we spoke with in the tavernas were surprised at the intensity. One thing I know is that, no matter how well you prepare for something, there's always an element of surprise and you just need to deal with it. That's why we pray, because we do not control anything really, except maybe the conviction of our faith. 🙏 buen camino!
Well said. I appreciate your sharing.
Phil

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Agreed, even the best prepared person can encounter something unexpected. The weather this summer has been extreme in many, many parts of the world.

We who have walked many Camino’s and racked up some hiking creds—I suppose—notice the tone of Disney and Hollywood references. Not appropriate!

We who have walked many Camino’s and racked up some hiking creds—I suppose—notice the tone of Disney and Hollywood references. Not appropriate!
I didn't read into Arturo's post like you did. I read it more like he wrote, "The Camino is no picnic!" Or, "The Camino is not exactly a walk in the park..." Give the benefit of any doubt in such brief written communication.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I didn't read into Arturo's post like you did. I read it more like he wrote, "The Camino is no picnic!" Or, "The Camino is not exactly a walk in the park..." Give the benefit of any doubt in such brief written communication.
I just finished my fourth camino, and you have one coming next year! Buen Camino. Enjoy every minute!

Love your attitude and grit and determination have a wonderful Camino

Love your attitude and grit and determination have a wonderful Camino
Thank you! 😁 We finished yesterday. Getting at the Cathedral was a moment to savor! 🎉🎊 it was the experience of a lifetime!! The camino taught us so many things, especially about the abundance of our strength, overcoming fatigue and acknowledging our limitations🙏 We also made new friends from all over the world, of course Spain but also US, France, Scotland, UK and even Australia! Overall, it was truly a wonderful camino!!😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
People come to the Camino drom
All walks of life and budgets. It’s great you have figured it out. For the rest of us who have travel half a world away. It’s not the same. For access to gear Ect. Yes common sense is the best gift you can give yourself as well as forgiveness. F it does t work out. You catch a bus or whatever. It’s not the end of the world. Take care of your body mind and soul. You are here. It’s more than anyone could hope for. God bless .

I'm glad that everyone finish the way to saint James safe and happy. We hosted about 4000 pilgrims this year and in few days we close the albergue. My intention on mentioning Disneyland was not to offend anybody, but today is easy to do so or to be misunderstood. In Spain we also talk about the effect "Decathlon", similar to the Disneyland thing, because some people go to the cheap outdoor shop(Decathlon) to get all the gear they need to go into the mountains, but they have no experience, they don't check the forecast or weather alerts, and many people die every year because of that. so, I don't find bad to say to everyone that "El Camino is not Disneyland" or the mountains are not Disneyland neither. Many accidents are happening in the Pyrenees or in the himalayas every year with lots inexperienced people going up there. My intention is to makes people aware that weather can be miserable at any time of the year and in few hours it can change. So, when doing the Camino, we have to try not to improvise, because when we improvise we can make mistakes or even fatal mistakes if we have no experience. Pilgrims have to get information about weather forecast and reports every day, because the "next day" or "next hours" scenario can change very fast, so they have to get the proper clothing and gear in if doesn't have to be expensive to be efficient. If you cannot afford a Gore Tex rain gear, you can buy to cheap ponchos and have one as a back up in your backpack is case the other "Rips in the Storm", I own an albergue and I see here everyday, that many pilgrims have a very poor planning about clothing for rain or for what to do in a case of very bad weather and we are all adults, and we have to respect others opinions, that was just my opinion. Safety have to be first as we all know and more me being a mountain guide with a cero fatalities record for more than 35 years. , So, I won't stop saying "camino is not Disneyland" because that makes people Plan ahead and prepare! And be Safe! Warm Hugs!

Last edited:
Thank you @arturo garcia 🙏 I understood what you meant and did not take your comments in a negative way.

There is a well known saying, very similar to what you wrote. It says, ‘There’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong gear’. This and similar expressions have been attributed to many outdoor adventurers. As you say, the weather can change quickly.

Another common saying ‘It’s no walk in the park’, meaning it’s not so easy or straightforward. This is what I took as the meaning of your Disneyland comment, same as @astronwolf above.

Things can often be ‘lost in translation’ with people from different cultures and languages. And people can be quick to be offended, where no offence was intended. I've done that myself on the forum!

Finally, thank you for your hospitality to the 4,000 pilgrims - just this year alone. With best wishes for your next chapter 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back