• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello all--Retired Alabamian here, walking in Galacia in May

HikerSails2

Hello all--I'm a retired American planning to hike the final 150 km during the last week in May. I've hiked across Ireland recently and when I saw a presentation on the Camino de Santiago, I was compelled to find more about it. In Dec (05) when in Spain I made a quick trip to Santiago and was truly inspired to make at least part of the walk. I do have bad knees that get painful only when going up and down hills, so I am not sure how well I will do in mountainous and hilly areas. If my knees survive the last 150 km I hope to return in September and start in Ste Jean Pied de Port and continue my walk.

I hope to see some of you on my walk thru Galacia in late May! Any avice you can give certainly will be welcomed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
150km in May

The last 120kms are up and down short sharp hills - fairly arduous but no mountains and no excrutiating ascents! However, do take it easy - walk 'softly' down the hills so that your poor knees don't take a pounding from the added weight on your back.
If you don't already wear them - perhaps a couple of adjustable neoprene knee guards will just be the extra support they need.
You have chosen a beautiful time of the year and will be struck by how similar the Galician countryside is to parts of Ireland and Yorkshire with small subsistence farms separated by ancient stone walls. A green and soggy part of Spain for sure. Only the invasive Eucalyptus forests are exotic.
Take care and have a WONDERFUL walk.

on my first camino my right knee swelled up like a canteloupe on the descent after the cruz de hierro and stayed that way for the rest of the trip

on my second camino i had no knee problems

here's what helped:
glucosamine
going to a chiropractor to get my gait evened out
pilates
shoes with denser soles
avoiding the rockier parts of the camino by walking on the highway instead

can't say from personal experience but trekking poles are said to take 30% of the strain off the knees

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Bill,
My knees have been a problem for years, but with the use of two lightweight trekking sticks it's manageable, and by Santiago the knees are not an issue. I think it is using the trekking sticks to transfer as much weight as possible and the continuous building up of the muscles along the way.
My young, fit, 22 year old daughter nearly succumbed to a knee problem in 2004, she stumbled on the path down from the Sierra del Perdon outside Pamplona when her knee suddenly "gave way". I handed over my two sticks (she had distained any such old-timer equipment) and we made it to the next village (Urtega?) After a decent night's sleep, and an elastic bandage, and the use of BOTH my sticks whenever we faced a descent, and she was fine to Santiago.
Just take it easy.
Kanga.

walking sticks

I'm 60, did the camino last year. I had walking sticks. Trek poles, really. Practice with them as I got blister on one hand from poles. Start in O'cebierro and you should be fine. I started in France.

airfare and other info

this site has a good map of the altitudes of each stage. When you see the map, click on the number and it will show you the map of the stage AND the altitude. It is a great, great site. If you can read Spanish even a bit, you will enjoy surfing this site. This will give you a great view of what areas are more hilly and mountainous than other. Also, wrapping your knees will help as well as the stick(s). Do not underestimate the importance of walking sticks!!!! Tennis shoes are very good on the asphalt. And don't forget flip flops for the shower!!!! There are Red Cross sstations at the albuergues that are available, but only at certain times. They can help you during the Camino. Trust me. I've had to use them!!!

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/

Buen Camino Peregrino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back